Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-16-2010, 11:43 AM

17 posts, read 38,127 times

Advertisements

After reading all of the CSULA posts, I feel really uneasy. My counselor at my CC gave me three options: CSULA, CSULB, and CSUDH.
I am majoring in Accounting, and I live in North Hills so the closest one is CSULA (I think.)
The problem is that I am scared to attend because of what I've heard about the area surrounding the college.
Also, Long Beach is very far...
Would it be worth it to switch the classes I have to take for University requirements and find a way to attend USC, or do you think I will be alright?
Are there any public alternatives to these schools, say a school that focuses solely on Accounting?
I can't afford these damn private schools.

Last edited by iJazzy; 02-16-2010 at 11:46 AM.. Reason: Left out a piece
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2010, 12:04 PM

736 posts, read 2,294,457 times
Why not CSUN....it's right next to you and they have a VERY GOOD regional rep. for business/accounting???

I think of the three you have targeted....CSULB has the BEST academic reputation. I wouldn't let the "area" surrounding CSULA deter you. USC isn't exactly in the nicest part of town either.

Old 02-16-2010, 12:14 PM

Apparently my counselor didn't give it to me as a choice. I am thinking about talking to them again to see if I have a chance.
I forgot, USC is near Crenshaw... ugh.
Besides, my boyfriend and I are thinking about moving to Culver City since he works there.

Old 02-16-2010, 12:19 PM

5,113 posts, read 19,757,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iJazzy View Post
After reading all of the CSULA posts, I feel really uneasy. My counselor at my CC gave me three options: CSULA, CSULB, and CSUDH.
I am majoring in Accounting, and I live in North Hills so the closest one is CSULA (I think.)
The problem is that I am scared to attend because of what I've heard about the area surrounding the college.
Also, Long Beach is very far...
Would it be worth it to switch the classes I have to take for University requirements and find a way to attend USC, or do you think I will be alright?
Are there any public alternatives to these schools, say a school that focuses solely on Accounting?
I can't afford these damn private schools.
USC is a private school.

Anyways, CSUN or CSULB are your best options. California Community College credits should transfer to any CSU, not just the ones you mentioned(at least the ones on the CSU track in CC, same goes for the UC track CC classes)

Old 02-16-2010, 12:30 PM

736 posts, read 2,294,457 times
Quote:
Apparently my counselor didn't give it to me as a choice. I am thinking about talking to them again to see if I have a chance.
I forgot, USC is near Crenshaw... ugh.
Besides, my boyfriend and I are thinking about moving to Culver City since he works there.
If you move to Culver City than Long Beach would work fine.....not a bad option at all. Plus, the summers in Culver City are very nice (beats the valley). CSULB has a lot interesting events going on too....concerts, etc.

Old 02-16-2010, 12:32 PM

Quote:
USC is a private school.

Anyways, CSUN or CSULB are your best options. California Community College credits should transfer to any CSU, not just the ones you mentioned(at least the ones on the CSU track in CC, same goes for the UC track CC classes)
I know USC is a private school, but because it's a business school, I'm debating on whether or not it will be worth it for me to forfeit my dependents' benefits (I go to school for free as long as it's public) and go there for Accounting. I've been there many times and feel comfortable (my uncle also went there)
I will talk with my counselor about other options, she really didn't give me a list of courses to take for other colleges, only the three I mentioned.

Old 02-16-2010, 01:37 PM

5,408 posts, read 12,661,015 times
the area around CSULA is not bad. particularly north and east of it in alhambra. or south and east towards ELAC. seriously, the hype and rep it gets for being dangerous ius overblown. ive known plenty of people who have worked, played and attended classes at CSULA without incident. people who lived in the neighboring areas and apts as well.

since you are choosing between LB state AND cal stat LA, i would opt for LB. its a nicer campus and a more laid back vibe. the area is also "safer". one good site to check out is the LA times homicide map. input an address and it tells you how many people have been murdered within a particualr radius of that address.

good luck.

Old 02-16-2010, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the one View Post
the area around CSULA is not bad. particularly north and east of it in alhambra. or south and east towards ELAC. seriously, the hype and rep it gets for being dangerous ius overblown. ive known plenty of people who have worked, played and attended classes at CSULA without incident. people who lived in the neighboring areas and apts as well.

since you are choosing between LB state AND cal stat LA, i would opt for LB. its a nicer campus and a more laid back vibe. the area is also "safer". one good site to check out is the LA times homicide map. input an address and it tells you how many people have been murdered within a particualr radius of that address.

good luck.
Oh well the homicide map makes me feel so much better! :P
Lol, thank you for the help.
I'm thinking either LB or CSUN now... just have to find the means to move to Culver, or maybe even LB.

Old 02-16-2010, 01:47 PM

5,113 posts, read 19,757,166 times
Quote:
I know USC is a private school, but because it's a business school, I'm debating on whether or not it will be worth it for me to forfeit my dependents' benefits (I go to school for free as long as it's public) and go there for Accounting. I've been there many times and feel comfortable (my uncle also went there)
I will talk with my counselor about other options, she really didn't give me a list of courses to take for other colleges, only the three I mentioned.
The requirements are the same. The CSU system and Community College system are all managed by statewide education agencies that make it easy to go from one to the other without issue. The only difference is that some seem to have preferred admissions over others to certain schools(Like Santa Monica CC to UCLA for instance). That may be what you are encountering.

Since you're considering USC, Chapman is also a well respected business school in the area, but would require a relocation since it's in the heart of Orange County(but the cost of living is cheaper in OC than LAC)

But since you're getting a free education, I'd take advantage of that before any other option.

Old 02-16-2010, 01:51 PM

The whole issue compy is my boyfriend's job. He works in Culver City... relocating would be a big issue.
I guess my best bet is to wait for my boyfriend to get home and talk with him about moving to Culver soon (we've been talking about it for a while) and commuting from Culver to North Hills and back, or from Culver to Long Beach and back.
Which do you think would be more efficient?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles