U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2010, 09:49 AM

898 posts, read 1,338,687 times

Advertisements

Dude, the heading alone says "rooms and shares" which means that it's a roommate situation. The first one even states that it's a room you're renting. I've never lived with a roommate other than family so I couldn't share any experiences with you about strangers but I can tell you that when I was sharing a house with my brother and cousin we got on each other's nerves from time to time which is why I never had roommates after that.

Also, the duplex listing says that you'll be staying for the remainder of an ongoing lease. This is called subletting which most landlords in L.A. don't do so it might be a scam. The landlord might be cool about it since he may just want to get his money or he could kick you out and rent it to someone else (since breaking a lease forfeits a security deposit) or kick you out as soon as the lease is up.

Last edited by fatmancomics; 02-17-2010 at 10:13 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2010, 10:30 AM

10,630 posts, read 23,781,138 times
Yes, there's a major difference between a 2/2 for $800/month (which is what early responses thought you were looking at), and renting one room as a roommate for $800/month or so. That would put the 2 BR at around $1,600/total, which is starting to look much more reasonable. The listings look legit, although obviously be careful. I agree with fatmancomics that you'll especially want to take care with a sublet. We did sublet our last place in LA, but definitely make sure you make it's okay with the landlord. It will probably also involve an exchange of money for things like security deposit, etc, and some signed paperwork.

Old 02-17-2010, 10:45 AM

304 posts, read 835,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minet View Post
I'm a "planner" so even though I don't plan on moving to L.A. for AT LEAST a year (when I'll be debt free and with savings AND I won't be moving unless I have a job there) I'm researching things now. Everyone keeps saying how pricey LA is, but I'm on craigslist and they're pretty comparable to downtown Orlando (where I live now). I pay for a 2/2 about $800/month (thats rent + utilities). Am I missing something? I'm looking in the Burbank and Culver City area per suggestion of my cousin who currently live in Burbank.
---------------
Craigslist has a bunch of so called rentals for cheap.
I had a dear friend who looked and looked for a small, modest place he could call home for around $750 a month. He found troop ships in peoples' living rooms, illegal boarding houses, death traps. So, I would be very cautious.

Typically a 1/1 apt will run you AT LEAST $1300.

Location determines a lot. I have no idea to what you are accustomed.

Burbank is super clean and decent, plus studio close, with good restaurants, equestrian center, movie theatres, Ikea, in and outdoor malls and almost a small town feel. It is it's own city.

Culver City has improved a lot in the last few years. Outdoor cafes, interesting buildings, not too far from the beach and LAX. Sony is there. But West Side traffic is astonishing if you have to go across town.

Where will you be working? You'll want to keep your commute to a minimum if you can.

Old 02-17-2010, 11:10 AM

1,078 posts, read 2,899,264 times
I don't think a 1/1 will cost at least $1,300. I rented in a nice safe area in Pasadena for less than that and found places in South Pas for around $1,000 that were decent.

But definitely do not send money to anyone before meeting and looking at the place. Do it all in person if possible.

Old 02-17-2010, 11:49 AM

33 posts, read 83,530 times
Oh sorry guys! I paid $800 for just 1 bedroom IN a 2/2. I've always lived w roommates, my last roommate being a random, so its nothing new.

Thanks for the warnings about craiglist. I wouldn't give any money until I saw it in person anyway.

Old 02-17-2010, 02:03 PM

16,242 posts, read 27,511,934 times
I have seen 1bed's going for around $1,000 in the North End of Oxnard. 2 Bed 1 bath are renting in the $1,300 range in my part of the world anyway and that is about 60 miles from down town, on the coast.

Here is one listing I found and it is representative of the cost to move here. It is a 1 bed 1 bath for $980. I couldn't find any listed that were cheaper other than in far away areas. To me it seems that the cost to drive into town would cost more than the cost of living close by. Also the time involved to move around would be a factor.

http://realestate.msn.realtor.com/re...ce=a2msah2t083

Last edited by SOON2BNSURPRISE; 02-17-2010 at 02:24 PM..

Old 02-17-2010, 02:27 PM

16,584 posts, read 34,373,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minet View Post
I'm looking at rooms for rent, so maybe that's what's different?
Nice of you to finally mention that little tidbit.

Old 02-17-2010, 03:13 PM

33 posts, read 83,530 times
That's mature of you. It was a mistake on my part but there's no need to be snarky about it.

I know 1/1s run around that price--I paid that in orlando when I lived alone, but I'm open to moving in w roommates like the ones I posted.

Old 02-17-2010, 03:38 PM

132 posts, read 318,474 times
Those look around right for renting a room in a house in a good area with 1-2 other roommates.

One thing to be careful of, rents are coming down drastically in L.A. right now. If you're moving in as a roommate, make sure you're not taking over someone's lease that's at too high a rent. I've been here five months, and in the time I've been here the rent for my 1 bedroom unit has dropped by about $300-400 per month, compared to if I was taking it today. I was on a short-term lease so it's no biggie for me, but be careful, the price change has come so quickly that you could easily accidentally take on someone else's overpriced room while they move out to something cheaper!

Old 02-17-2010, 03:43 PM

2,652 posts, read 7,880,070 times
Also note that cost of living includes much more than housing. Everything from filling up on gas, to buying a carton of eggs at the store will cost more. Insurance will probably go up, car registration fees are more, taxes will be higher, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles