Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2010, 09:56 AM

5,800 posts, read 6,566,607 times

Advertisements

In spite of the real estate crash here in LA and throughout much of California, a situation which isn't going to improve for a few years, housing is still expensive compared to most major US cities, including DC & Chicago, and much cheaper than SF thanks to zoning and other politically-initiatiated land-use restrictions.

Insurance, parking rates, gasoline and utilities are also higher, as are movie tickets ($12.00 for evening performances, and $8.00-$10.00 for 'bargain' matinees at first-run theatres, although there are still a few $1.00-$4.00 second run movie houses sprinkled throughout the area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2010, 10:17 AM

220 posts, read 701,468 times
LA is cheap as hell and that's the reason why I love going there (from NYC) time to time. I get way more for my money.

I was amazed you can get a decent meal/drink <$60 per person at a supposed "it" restaurant.

We then went to a wine bar (by the glass) and noticed that some people were having just a glass or two (very cheap starting at 2$ per glass or so).

In NYC, wine glasses would probably start around 7$ just to pay for the higher lease.

But the most important part is that in LA, you can lull around despite buying just 1 or 2 glasses.

In NY, if you're not constantly drinking; management usually hints at you to GTFO to make room for paying customers: ie no lulling around by the bar.

This makes the LA experience much less pricey and more laid back, which is a plus since a Bud Light in NYC can run ya back $11, tip not included. Ouch.

Furthermore, tipping culture in NYC is obnoxious (doormen, mailmen, barber, super, dogwalker, your board of management if you're in a condo, etc all expect a piece) that you just don't have in LA (which I prefer). Over the years, it really adds up.

Doormen 'low averages' in my building was $100 per for morning shift/ $60 per for night shift. I have 11 different doormen and 3 staff, 1 super. That's well over $2,000 for Xmas. I don't spend that much on my family, wtf.

Also I was surprised at how cheap golf tee times/carts, parking, etc are in some of the better courses in LA. A dumpy, crappy 9 course out in Long Island will run you back double the price just because NY Metro in general feels so much more congested in regards to EVERYTHING, golf courses included.

Another, biggie PROPERTY TAX: CHEAP, CHEAP, CHEAP. Coming from tri-state the general 1.25% in LA is wayyy low. I seriously need to move, lol.

Last edited by looksrich; 02-27-2010 at 10:35 AM..

Old 02-27-2010, 10:40 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,748,294 times
A lot of what goes into the cost of something (a beer, a haircut, a sandwich, etc) is the cost of rent. A men's haircut in Beverly Hills at $30 really isn't that much different that a men's haircut in Reseda at $15 but the rent in BH sure is higher.

So, when comparing the price of something in "Los Angeles" realize it depends where in Los Angeles. The high rent districts of two cities will probably have similarly price goods and services.

Old 02-27-2010, 12:06 PM

1,369 posts, read 3,309,883 times
looksrich,

It amazes me that people will put LA in the same category with NYC and SF for cost of living. Heck, to a certain degree it amazes me that people put SF in the same category with NYC (although it's at least somewhat close). LA is much more on par with DC, Chicago, Seattle cost of living than SF or NYC.

One thing I forgot to mention: parking is dirt cheap in LA for a major city. Very rarely will I ever pay for parking anywhere, outside of LAX. It is so easy to find free parking in LA or parking for $1 or $2. Most people are so stupid when it comes to parking that even in "paid for" situations you can find free parking if you drive to a side street that's one block away...two blocks max if it's a busier area. Sure, there are situations when you need to pay for parking, but by in large they are quite rare.

Old 02-27-2010, 06:28 PM

2 posts, read 4,391 times
I live in a VERY small one bedroom apartment in Koreatown which is a neighborhood just off Wilshire about 3 miles from downtown. The rent is $1135.00 per month and I pay my electricity. If you find a 2 bedroom for $800, I would be very afraid of the neighborhood.

Old 02-27-2010, 07:08 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,711,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by looksrich View Post
LA is cheap as hell and that's the reason why I love going there (from NYC) time to time. I get way more for my money.

I was amazed you can get a decent meal/drink <$60 per person at a supposed "it" restaurant.

We then went to a wine bar (by the glass) and noticed that some people were having just a glass or two (very cheap starting at 2$ per glass or so).

In NYC, wine glasses would probably start around 7$ just to pay for the higher lease.

But the most important part is that in LA, you can lull around despite buying just 1 or 2 glasses.

In NY, if you're not constantly drinking; management usually hints at you to GTFO to make room for paying customers: ie no lulling around by the bar.

This makes the LA experience much less pricey and more laid back, which is a plus since a Bud Light in NYC can run ya back $11, tip not included. Ouch.

Furthermore, tipping culture in NYC is obnoxious (doormen, mailmen, barber, super, dogwalker, your board of management if you're in a condo, etc all expect a piece) that you just don't have in LA (which I prefer). Over the years, it really adds up.

Doormen 'low averages' in my building was $100 per for morning shift/ $60 per for night shift. I have 11 different doormen and 3 staff, 1 super. That's well over $2,000 for Xmas. I don't spend that much on my family, wtf.

Also I was surprised at how cheap golf tee times/carts, parking, etc are in some of the better courses in LA. A dumpy, crappy 9 course out in Long Island will run you back double the price just because NY Metro in general feels so much more congested in regards to EVERYTHING, golf courses included.

Another, biggie PROPERTY TAX: CHEAP, CHEAP, CHEAP. Coming from tri-state the general 1.25% in LA is wayyy low. I seriously need to move, lol.
Where can you get a glass of wine for $2.00. We couldn't even get for that at the Moose Lodge in NM.

Nita

Old 02-28-2010, 06:38 AM

220 posts, read 701,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Where can you get a glass of wine for $2.00. We couldn't even get for that at the Moose Lodge in NM.

Nita
meant to say these are tasting portions...so more like 1/4 a glass or so.

Old 02-28-2010, 03:13 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,711,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by looksrich View Post
meant to say these are tasting portions...so more like 1/4 a glass or so.
ok, that is a little closer to reality..

Nita

Old 02-28-2010, 03:54 PM

172 posts, read 273,668 times
Rentwise, LA is very cheap.

I paid $1,800 for a large two bedroom apartment in prime Beverly Hills. In NYC, I pay $3,808 for a very small one bedroom. Both in equally prime areas, Beverly Hills and here in Tribeca.

Purchase wise, its much cheaper than NYC.

I have a friend in LA who purchased a 1,800 sq foot apartment in the Chelsea neighborhood in New York City for $4.5M (PLUS common charges which run an additional $2,000 per month, plus New York City property taxes which are some of the highest in the nation). By comparison, he lives in a 5,500 sq foot home in Beverly Hills for only $2.5M with extremely low property taxes. The common charges for condos here in NYC are ridiculous.

Everything is cheaper in LA. Parking here? $500+ a month. Insurance? Much higher. Drinks, bars, restaurants, groceries...everything is more expensive. And yes, if you don't tip everyone (drivers, doormen, management, mailman)...expect a nasty attitude.

Old 02-28-2010, 03:58 PM

11,715 posts, read 40,446,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gulfstreamliberal View Post
Rentwise, LA is very cheap.

I paid $1,800 for a large two bedroom apartment in prime Beverly Hills. In NYC, I pay $3,808 for a very small one bedroom. Both in equally prime areas, Beverly Hills and here in Tribeca.

Purchase wise, its much cheaper than NYC.

I have a friend in LA who purchased a 1,800 sq foot apartment in the Chelsea neighborhood in New York City for $4.5M (PLUS common charges which run an additional $2,000 per month, plus New York City property taxes which are some of the highest in the nation). By comparison, he lives in a 5,500 sq foot home in Beverly Hills for only $2.5M with extremely low property taxes. The common charges for condos here in NYC are ridiculous.

Everything is cheaper in LA. Parking here? $500+ a month. Insurance? Much higher. Drinks, bars, restaurants, groceries...everything is more expensive.
LA isn't cheap. NYC is just ridiculous. I don't know why anyone would want to live there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles