Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2010, 10:04 AM

1,369 posts, read 3,310,149 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gulfstreamliberal View Post
You two are fools.

NYC wins, period.

That's all.
NYC has an absolutely laughable produce/farmers market scene and the fresh ingredients available are a joke compared to California. That alone tips the scale.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2010, 10:18 AM

7,226 posts, read 22,194,951 times
i'd say in the <$25 market (which is what most people spend on a dish), the food in LA rivals anywhere in the world. sure you can go to cheesecake factory, but you can also have amazing CA cuisine and even better dishes from every corner of the planet. if all you care about are michelin starred restaurants then you're missing out on a lot!

Old 03-11-2010, 10:59 AM

736 posts, read 2,295,456 times
Quote:
You two are fools.

NYC wins, period.

That's all.

LOL!!!! What you are speaks so loudly I should really say nothing.

But really get a life.....you seem OBSESSED with ensuring NYC is seen as the best. Inferioritiy complex of some kind??????

Old 03-11-2010, 11:03 AM

70 posts, read 190,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drshang View Post
NYC has an absolutely laughable produce/farmers market scene and the fresh ingredients available are a joke compared to California. That alone tips the scale.

truth +1

Old 03-11-2010, 11:29 AM

305 posts, read 771,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drshang View Post
L.A. has so many top notch farmer's markets that it ain't even funny.

Beverly Hills Farmers Market

3rd and Fairfax Farmer's Market

Grand Central Market, DTLA

Santa Monica Farmers Market

Hollywood Farmers Market

And that's not even including the Farmer's Markets in Pasadena, Long Beach, the Valley, etc. etc.

The quantity of Farmer's Markets as well as the quality of the food and produce at these Farmer's Markets with the availability of accessing said food at any given day sets L.A. above a TON of cities, including New York City. I'm willing to even say that L.A. is even unparalleled nationwide in this regard, rivaled only by other cities in California.

And the best part about all of this is that it's all affordable and even cheaper than supermarket produce. You know, because not all of us are millionaires and can't afford to eat at 5 star restaurants regularly.

Last edited by A.J._in_L.A.; 03-11-2010 at 11:38 AM..

Old 03-11-2010, 11:42 AM

2,963 posts, read 5,451,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A.J._in_L.A. View Post
L.A. has so many top notch farmer's markets that it ain't even funny.
[...]
Grand Central Market, DTLA
While I agree about the breadth of offerings I wouldn't recommend Grand Central Market as a place on par with some of your other examples. It's fine for average family shopping, but I don't think it's any hub for superior meat, produce or ingredients. It's a nice destination for a leisurely grocery trip, though.

Old 03-11-2010, 02:48 PM

334 posts, read 915,527 times
Quote:
The best upscale. Having the most glorious and the most prestigious upscale restaurants usually indicates the city's superiority when it comes to food. In general, it trickles down from upscale.

Cheap greasy crappy ethnic food usually tastes the same everywhere (especially in very large and diverse cities like New York and LA.)
The upscale restaurants are what drive the rankings for the food guides, true.

No true lover of food could write that second paragraph, though. While most small ethnic shops are duds, the gems among them are worth the search, and the search itself is half the fun.

The very best Thai, Japanese, Vietnamese, Cambodian, Mexican, Peruvian and the very best ramen houses outside of Japan can all be found in the LA basin.

An example: no upscale restaurant I know troubles itself to make a bowl of pho, but a good bowl of pho on a cold winter evening is a sublime experience. The savory broth warms the soul, the chiles clear the head and open the pores, while the fresh torn basil and squeezed lime call up memories of summer when I need them most.

What a pity it would have been to miss out on such a delight because I dismissed small ethnic places as greasy crap.

Old 03-11-2010, 03:54 PM

662 posts, read 1,281,912 times
Quote:
[mod cut: personal attack]

NYC wins, period.

That's all.
Okaaay. Not much of a rebuttal.

Old 03-11-2010, 04:25 PM

1,542 posts, read 6,040,566 times
i wouldn't worry about that guy. he's doing a good job (as usual) of riling people up by making inflammatory remarks and ignoring trifling inconveniences such as facts and reality. must be fun for such a big man to sit back and assume this glib, dismissive internet persona.

btw, i'd like to request that the mods merge the OP's other LA food thread into this one, as the two are virtually identical. the OP originally intended for the threads to be in two separate forums, but the city vs. city moderator quickly moved it out of that forum, which meant that there are now two different but similar threads in the LA board.

Old 03-11-2010, 06:38 PM

1,162 posts, read 3,236,399 times
LOL. Well, why didn't I think of using that 'logic.'

Thanks for the larf.

Quote:
[mod cut: personal attack]

NYC wins, period.

That's all.

Last edited by nickdahammer; 03-11-2010 at 06:39 PM.. Reason: why bother?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles