Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2010, 04:04 AM

2 posts, read 5,549 times

Advertisements

Oh, and what´s your favorite Los Angeles radio station?
To get a bit of L.A. feeling I am listening to KIIS FM 102.7

Is this the most popular station?

Cheers
Anna
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2010, 07:45 AM

125 posts, read 385,108 times
KROQ

Just an awesome station. You guys on the west coast don't know how good you have it. It's nice to hear a station that plays other songs from artists besides the same 2 or 3 smash hits. I stream it online frequently.

Old 02-18-2010, 07:55 AM

2,362 posts, read 2,995,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefunkyone View Post
KROQ

Just an awesome station. You guys on the west coast don't know how good you have it. It's nice to hear a station that plays other songs from artists besides the same 2 or 3 smash hits. I stream it online frequently.
KROQ feels like their stuck in the 90's. Do people really need to hear the same Nirvana, Sublime, and Red Hot Chilli Peppers songs every hour? They also don't play indie bands until they sell gold records. (MGMT, Silversun Pickups, etc.)

I miss Indie 103. They weren't perfect, but at least they put new music out there that the Clear Channel & Premiere stations won't.

KCRW's Morning Becomes Eclectic is pretty good too, but they can be a bit pretentious.

Old 02-18-2010, 08:52 AM

16,289 posts, read 32,333,368 times
KEarth 101 and KFI for talk.

Anyone remember KMET?

Old 02-18-2010, 08:55 AM

125 posts, read 385,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perkins Well View Post
KROQ feels like their stuck in the 90's. Do people really need to hear the same Nirvana, Sublime, and Red Hot Chilli Peppers songs every hour? They also don't play indie bands until they sell gold records. (MGMT, Silversun Pickups, etc.)

I miss Indie 103. They weren't perfect, but at least they put new music out there that the Clear Channel & Premiere stations won't.

KCRW's Morning Becomes Eclectic is pretty good too, but they can be a bit pretentious.

They do play some 90's stuff but some of us who were teen's in the 90's really love that! lol

Also KROQ doesn't just play the same songs. Where I live you never hear anything other than the big 3 Sublime hit's (santeria, wrong way and what I got) when I was in Cali I heard April 26th 1992, Badfish and Date Rape on the radio. I was floored! Same thing with the chili peppers. Here you never hear stuff like Parallel Universe on the radio and I heard it on KROQ.

Not saying they are perfect but and maybe they don't play that much Indie stuff but they are a damn sight better than most U.S. rock stations. Especially the ones in the midwest. I'd about kill to have a station like KROQ in michigan.

Old 02-18-2010, 08:55 AM

17 posts, read 37,347 times
KCRW ... Yeah, I agree they can be a bit pretentious with thier picks and between songs banter but Morning Becomes Eclectic is a radio program without peer in this day and age of corporate radio.

KSWD (101.3 The Sound) ... Sure it is "classic rock" for the most part but it does have the "feel" of the AOR format of the 70s ...

Old 02-18-2010, 09:37 AM

7,226 posts, read 22,189,154 times
the new 98.7 isn't too bad. i also listen to jackfm on occasion to catch those one hit wonder gems that no other station will play. otherwise i'm stuck listening to kroq since indie isn't around anymore. rip indie 103.

Old 02-18-2010, 09:50 AM

122 posts, read 539,265 times
Loved Indie 103.1, esp. "Watusi Rodeo." 88.9 has good shows sometimes. I especially like "The Bomb Shelter," which plays every Friday evening. The DJ plays anything from old country to solid soul/funk gems and rock-n-roll. I have a bit of beef with K-Earth. What used to be a decent station now plays a lot of sub-par or horrible music from the 80s. In my opinion, K-earth HD (every Tuesday nights) is where they play good music. Other then that, they never deviate from the same redundant formats. If you're going to play music from the 70s and 80s you can at least dig to find some gems rather then playing the same old crap.

Old 02-18-2010, 10:02 AM

5,113 posts, read 19,758,544 times
KNX. Music radio in LA is pretty much crap anymore, and I'll always lament K-Earth moving on from the 50's and Motown as the not-so-oldies became oldies over the years. Get yourself a Slacker Portable Radio device and create your own radio station you can bring on the road

Old 02-18-2010, 10:45 AM

736 posts, read 2,294,679 times
The Sound 100.3 is a REALLY GOOD station......esp. on Sunday nights when they bring in rock artists who get to program their own sets. I'll never forgot the set Elvis Costello put together....amazing. The morning show is JUST MUSIC...no talk. Also, they play an ENTIRE album side on VINYL on Wed or THurs. nights.

My one criticism of The Sound is they should play MORE NEW MATERIAL....little bit stuck in the past.

Another favorite is 88.8....KXLU...local college station always plays out there stuff.

Last edited by Island_OnThe_Land; 02-18-2010 at 11:24 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles