Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2010, 02:12 PM

66 posts, read 260,819 times

Advertisements

I am considering taking a job in Downey, and I am looking for suggestions on a place to live. Ideally I'd like to keep the rent under 1500/month. Is anything near the beach (El Segundo etc) possible in this situation? Where else should I look?

Also, I'd love to hear some opinions on what the best area is for a fairly conservative white male who is just out of school. I'm fine with diversity (I speak decent Spanish, had some Argentinian friends for a while), but I'd prefer little to no crime (I lived in Manhattan for a bit so I understand there's no such thing as "no crime" in a big city). Some nightlife close would be good, but not critical as I will be putting in 90-100 hr weeks and thus just sleeping and working out when not at work. Also, the closer I could get to an east coast crowd (i.e. type A, not too fake) the better, but I've been told that this is a pipe dream...

Thanks in advance for your help.

Last edited by flavorPacket; 02-20-2010 at 02:40 PM.. Reason: spelling
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2010, 02:25 PM

16,806 posts, read 39,764,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flavorPacket View Post
Also, the closer I could get to an east coast crowd (i.e. type A, not too fake) the better, but I'm been told that this is a pipe dream...
The sooner you stop believing the bull****, the better off you'll be once you get here. Between L.A. and Orange County, you have over 13 million people to choose from. You'll find your crowd. ****ing stereotypes and the people who fall for them.

There, is that East Coast enough for you, bub?

Old 02-20-2010, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fontucky View Post
****ing stereotypes and the people who fall for them.
Unfortunately stereotypes normally exist for a reason, but I certainly try to give everyone a chance or two. As long as I can meet others who feel the same way, I'm sure I will enjoy SoCal.

Any input on where to live?

Old 02-20-2010, 02:51 PM

16,806 posts, read 39,764,481 times
Quote:
Unfortunately stereotypes normally exist for a reason
Like the ones that stereotype black people as lazy and shiftless?

You end up with the people you attract. If you attract the vapid and shallow, there is certainly no shortage of that type in this crowd of 13 million distinct souls. If you want type A no bull**** people, you'll find them. You found me, didn't you? I'm a native.

Anyway, look into Downey. Downey has some nice neighborhoods. Why torture yourself with a brutal commute? It makes more sense to me to live close to work and commute to the night spots rather than the inverse. 1500 ain't going to get you very far at the beach.

Old 02-20-2010, 03:21 PM

916 posts, read 3,685,873 times
try belmont shore

Old 02-20-2010, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fontucky View Post
Like the ones that stereotype black people as lazy and shiftless?

You end up with the people you attract. If you attract the vapid and shallow, there is certainly no shortage of that type in this crowd of 13 million distinct souls. If you want type A no bull**** people, you'll find them. You found me, didn't you? I'm a native.

Anyway, look into Downey. Downey has some nice neighborhoods. Why torture yourself with a brutal commute? It makes more sense to me to live close to work and commute to the night spots rather than the inverse. 1500 ain't going to get you very far at the beach.
Don't have any experience to confirm that stereotype, Fontucky, but like I said everyone should have a chance. Hell we'd probably even get along in real life...

Re: the commute, am I looking at 45 min or 90 min on the 105 from El Segundo? And if I'm going in at 6 and leaving at 8, will that make a difference?

As for rent, I have found a few 2 bedroom places for ~3k close to the shore. Are these the bottom of the barrel?

Old 02-20-2010, 07:47 PM

4,482 posts, read 9,244,582 times
If you might be working up to 100 hours/week, do you really want to drive 1.5 - 3 hours (or more) each day?
Work: 100 hours
Sleep: 42 hours
Commute: 15 hours
Eat, do errands and personal stuff: 10 hours
Total: 167 hours
That leaves 1 hour/week for working out.

If you want to stay under $1500, why look at places that are $3000? Find something close to work; you'll save time and money. Then go to the beach when you have time.

Start with Downey.

Or you could go south, maybe to Lakewood. That's pretty close to the beach, too. (From Downey you can go either west or south to get to the beach - about the same distance either way. Lakewood is about halfway between Downey and the beach, depending on what part of Downey and what part of Lakewood.)

Most people are real. When you start looking for a "type," you'll find the people who are trying to live as a "type." Not real. Forget types.

Old 02-20-2010, 08:07 PM

3,393 posts, read 5,254,517 times
Quote:
I am considering taking a job in Downey, and I am looking for suggestions on a place to live. Ideally I'd like to keep the rent under 1500/month. Is anything near the beach (El Segundo etc) possible in this situation? Where else should I look?

Also, I'd love to hear some opinions on what the best area is for a fairly conservative white male who is just out of school. I'm fine with diversity (I speak decent Spanish, had some Argentinian friends for a while), but I'd prefer little to no crime (I lived in Manhattan for a bit so I understand there's no such thing as "no crime" in a big city). Some nightlife close would be good, but not critical as I will be putting in 90-100 hr weeks and thus just sleeping and working out when not at work. Also, the closer I could get to an east coast crowd (i.e. type A, not too fake) the better, but I've been told that this is a pipe dream...

Thanks in advance for your help.
Just my opinion but I don't think you're going to like working in Downey. Since you prefer to be near the beach, I would (highly) recommend Manhattan Beach. Others I would look into would be Marina Del Rey, Santa Monica, and Seal Beach. If you don't mind being inland, then I would look into downtown LA and South Pasadena. Now, again, that is just my opinion.

You're not going to find an East Coast crowd on the West Coast. ?

Old 02-20-2010, 08:16 PM

5,113 posts, read 19,686,686 times
Don't get a hardon for the south bay. The drive is too far. Try coastal Long Beach. Plenty of night life, plenty safe, 1bd's within your price range, and there is a beach. The drive on the 605 is a million times better than the drive on the 105 and it's closer.

There is no "east coast crowd" here. Everyone is intermixed and most beach towns are traditional laid back beach towns. If you want an Irish pub or something, you can find that, but you aren't going to find a city like Boston or Manhattan out here and the closest you'll get in San Francisco, which is just a little too much of a commute for Downey.

Of course, Downey is plenty fine if you just want somewhere to live.

Old 02-20-2010, 11:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sll3454 View Post
If you might be working up to 100 hours/week, do you really want to drive 1.5 - 3 hours (or more) each day?

If you want to stay under $1500, why look at places that are $3000? Find something close to work; you'll save time and money. Then go to the beach when you have time.
As I asked the other person before, will going on the 105 take 90 min one way?

As for the prices, I'd get a roommate for a 2 bedroom place. I hate living alone, even if I'm never home.

Thanks for your advice!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles