Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2010, 05:57 PM

736 posts, read 2,294,457 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt345 View Post
Exactly. Honestly I can't stand Americana or the Grove (yes I said it, I hate the Grove!). Give me a real city setting.

Yes, Matt345: I AGREE...the GROVE and AMERICANA are pure JUNK...MALLS with the roof cut off. Faux-Cities....can't stand either place!!!

I'll take Hollywood Blvd or Old Town Pasadena or Broadway in downtown anyday over the Grove or Americana-at-Brand.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2010, 06:39 PM

1,162 posts, read 3,235,623 times
Pasadena has the Gold Line Train as well.

Old 02-22-2010, 07:13 PM

1,213 posts, read 3,607,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Island_OnThe_Land View Post
Yes, Matt345: I AGREE...the GROVE and AMERICANA are pure JUNK...MALLS with the roof cut off. Faux-Cities....can't stand either place!!!

I'll take Hollywood Blvd or Old Town Pasadena or Broadway in downtown anyday over the Grove or Americana-at-Brand.
I think that's part of the reason why those places bother me so much. Why in the world do people want to spend time in a fake city when there are plenty of real city shopping streets all over LA? Hollywood Blvd, Old Pasadena, Santa Monica (esp. Montana and Main), West Third Street (right next to the Grove btw!), Melrose Avenue, the Sunset Strip, Abbot Kinney Blvd, the Fashion District...there shouldn't even be a market for these types of places in LA.

Old 02-22-2010, 07:15 PM

4 posts, read 16,014 times
Hahah I agree they are kinda 'junk' / fake commercial. But in my search I didn't find anything 'as good' in Old Pasadena, maybe I missed something?

Also it seems like they don't have any Section 8 residents

Old 02-23-2010, 11:18 AM

736 posts, read 2,294,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beckyaharrelson View Post
Hahah I agree they are kinda 'junk' / fake commercial. But in my search I didn't find anything 'as good' in Old Pasadena, maybe I missed something?

Like I said, there is nothing "wrong" with Glendale...a fine, safe area.

We didn't mean to turn your question into a debate about LA urban planning and design issues...but that is what you get sometimes in City-Data...passionate city lovers, etc.

Best of luck to you.

Old 02-23-2010, 12:18 PM

7,411 posts, read 10,382,016 times
What's good about places like the Grove & Americana is that the upper floors are apartments\ condos. So if you want to go out for dinner or night club it is just downstairs. But the stupid trolley car makes it seem like Disneyland. Paseo Colorado is also housing above stores and Old Pasadena is only a few blocks away.

Old 02-25-2010, 10:28 PM

18 posts, read 46,083 times
It is not really apples to apples comparison between Americana and Old Town since the latter is a district of an actual thriving downtown Pasadena.

Although Americana argubly is also part of downtown Glendale, I think it is pretty obvious that Pasadena is a walkable, historic city with a lot of cache. Although Glendale isn't bad by any means (as someone else here has said), it is not even close to the same level of Pasadena's well planned downtown area. Remember there are 4 districts that make up downtown Pasadena: 1) Old Town, 2) Civic Center/Midtown, which includes Paseo, 3) Playhouse District, and 4) South Lake Avenue.

These disparate districts will eventually be linked together by a streetcar system akin to Portland, OR. That will really glue these districts together into a coherant urban core that will make it much more obvious that Old Town is not all there is.

For more info on Pasadena real estate, please visit my blog:

Pasadena Real Estate with Brigham Yen

Old 02-25-2010, 10:30 PM

18 posts, read 46,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Island_OnThe_Land View Post

I completely agree! I'll take organic neighborhoods over contrived environments any day!

Old 02-26-2010, 01:46 PM

64 posts, read 174,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beckyaharrelson View Post

It sounds like you really like the Americana area. So if you liked the apartment and the area a lot more than anything you saw at Old Town, why not go with it? You're asking the same questions and the same feedback.

I lived in Glendale for many years, near the border of Pasadena. When it comes to going to a place to hang out for things like good food, pubs, and shopping, Old Town is better than Glendale. Not that Glendale doesn't have good options, but I think you will find urbanites and elitists alike would prefer Old Town. That said, I really enjoyed Glendale. I felt like it was less crowded than many popular places in Pasadena, and in that sense more livable. I also can't imagine that part of Glendale being louder than parts of Old Town can get. But sure, you can live away from the noisier areas. If the apartment is the most important thing, then go with that decision vs. location. If location is most important, Old Town has a lot of options. If it were me, I'd choose Glendale simply by way of proximity to where you work. Old Town is not too far away for a non rush hour outing. But I'd live closer to save 20-30 minutes off a daily commute.

Old 02-26-2010, 05:14 PM

1,044 posts, read 2,767,229 times
Summer is far too hot in Pasadena in my opinion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles