Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2010, 02:48 PM

4 posts, read 16,006 times

Advertisements

Hello all,

So I've read through the many threads on Glendale vs Pasadena, and am still at a loss of which to pick.

I have a job that is located on North Brand Blvd in Glendale, and am looking for a 1 bedroom, no pets/kids, single..

I'm looking to live in a upscale apartment complex, and have been considering the Americana at Brand in Glendale, but was a little worried about all the goings on at the Americana, would it make an unbareable amount of noise? Do glendale apartments have a specific rap of being terribly noisey?

From the tour I liked the property, compared to two that I saw in Pasadena (near old town), Del Mar Station, and Trio, was considering Westgate also but didn't visit.

Any insider opinions? Just a little conserned about 'living at a mall' with the traffic and the going ons... But wasn't very impressed by what I saw in Pasadena...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2010, 09:50 PM

1,369 posts, read 3,309,062 times
There is one (Terraces) which is located right above the Paseo Colorado, and it is generally pretty noisy...with a lot of the "upscale" complexes you have a combination of lots of street noise with poor sound protection between floors. Pasadena has many complexes near Old Town that aren't on busy streets and you can get away from a lot of the street noise. I am not sure if there are similar, nice complexes in Glendale a few blocks from the Americana.

By far the biggest consideration with renting in places like that IMO is making sure you get a unit that's away from the noisiest parts of the mall. Different people have varying tolerances for noise, so to a large degree it is personal.

One thing about Pasadena is a lot of the upscale apartment complexes participate in a "affordable housing program" so you have de facto section 8 tenants in many high end complexes. I am not sure if Glendale has a similar program but I would definitely check it out. If Glendale does not or the high end complexes there don't participate in such a program, that would lean me more toward Glendale.

Personally I find Old Town to be far superior to Glendale/Americana, but I am not sure Pasadena is that much better to justify the longer commute. Living a few minutes from work is so incredibly awesome and will save you money on gas/commuting costs plus you can always go home for lunch and save on that item as well.

Old 02-20-2010, 09:55 PM

Thanks for the reply, I wasn't at all impressed by the Paseo Colorado, infact what they have available seems rather terrible..

The commute isn't too much of an issue, I just haven't found a complex I 'loved' in Pasadena, nor am I sure that I'm a super fan of old town?

I seem to like the Americana, I have no problem with noise, but just worried about a LOT of it coming from outside, and potentially noisy neighbors that Glendale seems to be 'famous' for? But maybe not in this complex since it's 'upscale/luxury' ?

Old 02-20-2010, 11:21 PM

7,226 posts, read 22,186,024 times
as far as neighborhoods and things to do, old town pasadena is head and shoulders above glendale. that would be my main consideration as both have ample living options.

Old 02-21-2010, 10:54 PM

55 posts, read 90,492 times
Pasadena overall is more historic and IMO beautiful than Glendale. Period

Old 02-21-2010, 11:25 PM

7,411 posts, read 10,381,011 times
Glendale's Americana is plastic\ disney land. Pasadena's Old Town is authentic\ real. No comparison.

Old 02-22-2010, 10:12 AM

736 posts, read 2,294,296 times
Becky: For my money, I would LIVE in PASADENA over GLENDALE all day long.

I can't speak to the specific differences in living at Paseo Colo. vs. Americana at Brand. But as a city/place to live I prefer Pasadena.....much more walkable, real historic architecture, museums/culture, better nightlife/restaurants, etc. It's NOT even close for me.

And I bet if you posted a poll having people choose between Pasadena vs. Glendale....that Pasadena would win in a landslide.

Good luck.

Old 02-22-2010, 11:42 AM

1,213 posts, read 3,606,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by californio sur View Post
Glendale's Americana is plastic\ disney land. Pasadena's Old Town is authentic\ real. No comparison.
Exactly. Honestly I can't stand Americana or the Grove (yes I said it, I hate the Grove!). Give me a real city setting.

Old 02-22-2010, 01:10 PM

Thanks for all the comments everyone.

The only thing that makes the Americana stand out is the new construction / amenities (on the property), I haven't found anything really like it in Pasadena, am I missing something?

Old 02-22-2010, 05:50 PM

736 posts, read 2,294,296 times
If you really like the property then I see nothing wrong with it. It's NOT like Glendale is a "bad" area...we just think Pasadena is overall better (read: more interesting, more things to do, etc.).

Don't let us scare you away from Glendale...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles