U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-21-2010, 07:43 PM

2 posts, read 17,598 times

Advertisements

My husband is taking a job in Gardena, CA so we are relocating to Los Angeles county. We are just starting out so currently we are looking for affordable ($1500 monthly rent including utilities) as well as safe city and great schools for our daughter. Any suggestions??? Thank you in advance for your help.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2010, 07:47 PM

11,715 posts, read 38,041,956 times
Will a 1 bedroom apartment with so-so schools suffice?

Old 02-21-2010, 08:54 PM

5,113 posts, read 18,500,586 times
1500 for a 2bd apt not including gas/electric in an area with good schools is entirely possible, but including all utilities, probably not probable

Old 02-22-2010, 11:57 AM

77,808 posts, read 94,316,037 times
I don't think what you want is going to be easy to find even though bhcompy thinks it will be, especially with utilities. Are you looking for a house or an apartment? How far is your husband willing to commute? My first suggestion would be to look in Torrance followed by the beach cities like Manhattan and Redondo maybe. Try going to renters.com I think it is, that should give you a start at least.

Nita

Old 02-22-2010, 01:30 PM

2 posts, read 17,598 times
My husband is willing to commute about 40mins if we find something worth commuting for. I guess $1500 per month is about our allowance for an apartment even if it is a 1 bd room. The school is important to us as well as crime. Thanks for the replies!

Old 02-22-2010, 02:20 PM

5 posts, read 25,311 times
I vote for Torrance. We haved lived here since 1987 as a family, raising 2 girls in the Torrance schools (West High).

We lived in the 4-plexes on Anza Ave. near Pacific Coast Highway (PCH) (South High) when we first moved back here. There are also lots of apartment on Anza Ave. between Torrance Blvd. and Del Amo Blvd. (West High).

Here is a link to Torrance Unified SD: Torrance Unified School District > Home

We get an afternoon breeze from the ocean so we don't need air conditioning and it's an easy commute to Gardena.

Best of luck to you!!

Old 02-22-2010, 02:29 PM

5,113 posts, read 18,500,586 times
To Gardena in 40minutes: Torrance, Lakewood(stay out of Paramount school district and schools in Hawaiian Gardens[bad part of ABC district]), parts of Long Beach(research the schools and neighborhood, typically the east part of town is where you want to be and I fear Belmont Shore may be over your price), Los Alamitos(fits the price range perfectly), maybe neighboring Cypress.

Basically anything Lakewood/Long Beach or east will be at the 40 minute limit, and even that depends on time of day for commute(won't be longer than 60 on a poor traffic day unless there is a major accident I'd guess based on my experience), but you should definitely be able to find 2bd apts in your price range there(not including gas/electric). Torrance would of course be the best choice as you'll be close to work.

Old 02-22-2010, 03:37 PM

6,448 posts, read 14,175,230 times
Another vote for Torrance!

As a parent it is always better to live in a good to excellent school district in a smaller place than a bigger place in a lousy school district. The only exception to this is if you homeschool or use private schools. Take a look at this map and zoom into the areas in question - California School Performance Maps

We lived in Torrance with our kids and know many families in that area. We even managed apartments while there. Because it is popular with families you have to really watch the openings closely for the deals. And then when something good pops up you need to be one of the fist one's on the scene. They go quick. Check craigslist and the DailyBreeze.

Whatever you do stay West of Western Ave. Anything east is Torrance PO and not really the city of Torrance at all. Instead it is LA Strip or Harbor Gateway. That is an area to be avoided big time.

As a general rule I would also avoid Gardena, Hawthorne and Lawndale as well with young children. The schools aren't so hot and there are gang and crime issues as well. Of course you may find exceptions to the general rule. But if you can manage it look at nicer overall areas where you can feel safe walking around both day and night.

Lastly Torrrance is so close to his work it would be foolish to not look there first, especially when consider the difference between driving a short distance on surface streets to work vs. the nightmare LA freeways during rush hour. Why do that? Save him the grief and live in a nicer area closer to work and the coast. You may have to live lean for a while. But if you look over time you will find even better places and deals.

Check this one out (http://losangeles.craigslist.org/wst/apa/1612929382.html - broken link).

Derek

Last edited by MtnSurfer; 02-22-2010 at 03:57 PM..

Old 02-22-2010, 11:07 PM

5 posts, read 25,311 times
Here is a link to the Management Company when we rented at Park Anza:
Don Wilson Builders - Residential Property Management in the South Bay.

Not sure what the rates are now, but they are 4-plexes with a patio (great for small kids) for the 3 lower units.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles