Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2010, 11:53 AM

1 posts, read 21,375 times

Advertisements

For example, you're at a busy intersection of a two-way street (without light arrows) and you move up on a green to turn left. After waiting in the intersection for traffic to clear, the lights start to turn red. Are you legally allow to turn left at this point?

Also, if you're the second car in line to turn left at a intersection, do you stay behind the crosswalk line until the first car turns or do you merge up to the first car?

btw, I'm a new driver with a driver's permit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2010, 11:58 AM

7,226 posts, read 22,106,899 times
the first car to yield the left turn can legally go on a red light, otherwise you'd be stuck in the intersection. although not technically legal, i've never seen the second car through the red light get a ticket, it's pretty common practice in LA. the second car is supposed to stay behind the crosswalk until the first car clears the intersection, but that almost never happens.

Old 02-23-2010, 11:58 AM

3,062 posts, read 7,002,245 times
If you're already in the intersection when the light turns red you're required to clear it. The only time it's OK to turn left on red (after stopping)is when you are in the left lane of a one way street and you are turning onto another one way street.

Old 02-23-2010, 12:12 PM

5,408 posts, read 12,626,068 times
well you should never trun left on red. but in the situation you describe it might be ok. BUT some intersections do have cameras and they do get you. but thats only after they review the video and see where exactly you started your turn from and if there was on coming traffic. if you werent waiting for the red light but were moving from behind the corsswalk on a yellow light (with no oncoming traffic) and the light turned red as you turned, that would probably be a ticket. theres also a ticket for something like making a left hand turn too quickly. best bet is to not turn on reds. but this being LA, it is always good to wait for traffic to clear. most intersection accidents involve left handed turns. who is at fault? they person turning left. even if they were hit. the are supposed to wait for oncoming traffic to clear.

Old 02-23-2010, 02:19 PM

600 posts, read 1,605,119 times
Cars hanging out in the middle of an intersection is a HUGE pet peeve of mine!

Old 02-23-2010, 03:55 PM

1,720 posts, read 6,710,464 times
I turned left behind a car in the same situation. My front wheels were right with the SECOND white line for the crosswalk. I was stopped behind the front car, who went through the red light later than he/she should have, so it made me look bad.

Somehow the dumb cop said I was doing 30mph through the turn and that I ran it. He was sitting there in plain view. I saw him before he ever saw me most likely.

I was 17 and JUST got my license a month prior to this incident. I wanted to fight it because I knew I did nothing wrong, but my dad told me it'd be a waste of time and the court/judge would likely chalk it up to the cops word against mine and since I was a minor, it'd be the perfect way for the judge to find me guilty and make me "think twice" before doing something like this.

I was later told by a cop that if your front wheels are in the intersection, you should proceed with your turn. "In the intersection" means past the second white line or on it.

Old 02-24-2010, 01:26 AM

3,393 posts, read 5,256,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dRAMA View Post
For example, you're at a busy intersection of a two-way street (without light arrows) and you move up on a green to turn left. After waiting in the intersection for traffic to clear, the lights start to turn red. Are you legally allow to turn left at this point?

Also, if you're the second car in line to turn left at a intersection, do you stay behind the crosswalk line until the first car turns or do you merge up to the first car?

btw, I'm a new driver with a driver's permit.
Technically, you're not supposed to be in the intersection, until traffic is clear and you can safely make your turn. Cop can pull you over for it and for turning left on red.

You better read the driver's manual again.

Old 02-24-2010, 01:30 AM

11,715 posts, read 40,327,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay100 View Post
Technically, you're not supposed to be in the intersection, until traffic is clear and you can safely make your turn. Cop can pull you over for it and for turning left on red.

You better read the driver's manual again.
The problem with that is that if you actually waited behind the crosswalk for opposing traffic to break before entering for a left turn, you'd literally be sitting there until about 10pm. There's no break until the light turns red to stop them. That's a BIG reason I hate driving in LA.

Old 02-24-2010, 07:01 AM

3,393 posts, read 5,256,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeCalifornia View Post
The problem with that is that if you actually waited behind the crosswalk for opposing traffic to break before entering for a left turn, you'd literally be sitting there until about 10pm. There's no break until the light turns red to stop them. That's a BIG reason I hate driving in LA.
Not saying it doesn't happen but you can be cited. Whenever I see a cop, I wait behind the crosswalk, unless it's super busy. That way if he stops me, I can explain the situation you described.

Old 02-24-2010, 08:50 AM

2,179 posts, read 4,971,730 times
Related question that I never knew the answer too. Say you are in the left turn lane to go into I don't know, a strip mall. Can you make the turn during a red light if no cars are approaching, or do you still need to wait until it is a green light?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
View detailed profiles of: