Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-23-2010, 01:04 PM

1 posts, read 11,692 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I may be moving to Los Angeles within the next month, and I am wondering if this area and apartment complex is safe. The address is 729 South Union Avenue, Los Angeles, CA 90017. It is very hard to tell if the surrounding area is as legitimate as the apartments themselves. Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2010, 01:25 PM

7,226 posts, read 22,193,073 times
with that address, the building in question would be in the pico-union neighborhood, which is filled mostly with recent immigrants from latin america. if that doesn't bother you, you might be ok there, but i'm guessing that fluency in spanish would be pretty important.

Old 02-23-2010, 03:48 PM

736 posts, read 2,295,172 times
To be blunt, that area has had a reputation for crime....I'd check the LAPD statistics for Pico-Union. Of course, the LA crime rate is at 40 year lows and I used to date a single girl in her early 20's who lived in that area. She never had a problem that I know of......

In addition, I have been INSIDE some of the apartments in that area....some of the landlords are SLUMLORDS and it shows up in the quality of the interiors. Very bad!

It is also true that as downtown LA has revitalized, the area called Central City West (really just a few blocks east of that address) has begun to march towards pico-union but it's not quite made it out that far yet.

Old 02-24-2010, 02:28 AM

4,538 posts, read 10,627,657 times
If its the complex of lofts on the corner of Union/7th, the lofts are ok. Any other complex in that area, you should be wary.

That was a really horrible area just a few years ago(like less than 5 years ago) and its still not a safe area to walk around in. To put it in perspective, that same block of Union used to house a halfway house for state parolees, used to be claimed by 18th St, is only about 6 blocks from McArthur Park, has a LOT of drugs, and was(and still is) a widely know area for prostitution.

Old 02-24-2010, 08:50 AM

897 posts, read 1,591,783 times
I grew up in that zip code and I am a big hispanic (big for a hispanic, at least) man and I was never hanging around after dark. When I was a teenager, the only time you caught me on the street after dark was when I was walking home from the bus stop a block away and by the time I had a car I would only drive it in that neighborhood on my way out of it or back to it from hanging out somewhere else.

I don't think there is a single street in that 'hood that you could call safe and the one that building is in, along with the surrounding ones, makes me nervous to walk on in broad daylight (I've had to go work there), let alone at night.

Someone else mentioned that the gentrification going on in those parts is spreading to that area and that may well be but, as of now, those particular streets are filled with very low income people who have been displaced from other streets due to their rent having been raised. Of course, not ALL low income people are shady but the ones that have nothing better to do than hang out all day sure looked shady to me.

Besides, that place IS very close to McArthur park and the metro station accross the street from it so it is very congested and the buildings I saw didn't have any parking so the streets are always full of cars. I had to park around the corner and carry my ladder a block to finish the work I was doing there.

I guess what I'm saying is, I wouldn't live there so I wouldn't recommnend that you do either.

Old 10-06-2010, 05:39 PM

1 posts, read 10,874 times
I'm a young female I just moved there It's my first time living somewhere more "urban" and sketchy. The neighborhood seems pretty safe. I could imagine car or pickpocket thefts happening there, but I really don't imagine there would be many violent crimes. There are a lot of Hispanic people who loiter on the streets during the day and night. Men make comments to me daily. It doesn't scare me but I suppose some women might be. Parking on the street isn't too bad- usually in front, sometimes a street over.

The building itself has been recently redone but the carpet is already very stained- it looks fine but not like the pictures. My apartment itself I love. Very quiet once I am inside. The fake hardwood is linoleum, but it looks great.

Old 02-11-2011, 11:25 AM

1 posts, read 10,374 times
Hi, I'm also wanting to move to these apartments. Have you moved in yet?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles