Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2010, 10:56 PM

18 posts, read 46,113 times

Advertisements

Have you ever considered Pasadena just while attending FIDM?

I think it will help you adjust to SoCal life while coming from the east coast. Namely, it's a very walkable community (what you're used to on the east coast) with a pretty lively downtown core (huge night life, bars, shopping, restaurants, etc.), but still very "LA" in its own way (laid back, sunny, etc.) all set against the beautiful San Gabriel Mountains. Plus, the metro Gold Line train connects you from Pasadena to Downtown LA so you wouldn't have to drive if you chose not to. In fact, I see quite a few students carrying their "FIDM tote bags" on the Gold Line train in the mornings.

[mod cut]

And I have taken about 100 photos of different Pasadena scenes so you get a good feel for what it is:

Pasadena - a set on Flickr (http://www.flickr.com/photos/brighamyen/sets/72157607785534747/ - broken link)

Last edited by uptown_urbanist; 02-25-2010 at 11:08 PM.. Reason: self-promotion counts as advertising and is against TOS
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2010, 09:37 AM

38 posts, read 106,201 times
Pasadena is definately to far from the coast for me, if I'm moving to the west coast I definately want to be somewhat close to the ocean.

WeHo and La Brea looks awesome how far are they from the beach?

Old 02-26-2010, 10:38 AM

305 posts, read 771,320 times
WeHo and LaBrea are still kind of far from the beach, but it's closer to the beach than say, Pasadena.

But if you look at L.A. in general you're pretty much at the beach compared to many other cities in the country.

No matter, how you chop it up and decide to stay, welcome to L.A. and I hope you find your niche here.

And LOL @ the guy who said everyone here was laid back because of the 'drug use'. I'm not gonna touch that with a 10 ft. pole, but that statement is so wrong on multiple levels.

Old 02-26-2010, 01:34 PM

215 posts, read 771,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coast2coastmyhomeisjerz View Post
-Yes I have a car

-To be honest I smoke weed, so i really could care less about the "heavy drug use" you speak of because weed itself doesnt hurt anyone. Mayor bloomberg however would throw you in jail for having a stem on you but thats another topic.

-I attend FIT, and it is quite the joke if you've been there recently. It is falling apart, and the school is becoming more and more "subpar" by the day.

-The new york fashion scene is not for me and I'm learning that more and more everyday. I plan on owning or working for a surf/skate/snowboarding apparel company and new york does anything but offer that.
I smoke weed as well, but I was basically talking about the burn out factor here. You'll see what I mean when you move here.

Bloomberg still manages to annoy me from across the country.

From what you've written LA is for you.

And yes, it is all set against the beautiful San Gabriel Mountains, except you can't see them on most days because of the brown smog.

Old 02-26-2010, 01:40 PM

95 posts, read 275,147 times
You might check out Los Feliz/Silverlake/Echo Park. There are lots of young people in these neighborhoods, lots of things to do, and they're a bit closer to FIDM than Hollywood or the Beach towns. You couldn't walk to the beach, of course, but you can be there by car in about 20 minutes. And you'd only be 10min or so from campus.

Old 02-26-2010, 03:50 PM

38 posts, read 106,201 times
Nice...this is all sounding good.

Do any of you know how far the nearest mountain to ski/snowboard would be too?

And a few recomendations on where to get the best fish taco! haha

Old 02-26-2010, 04:18 PM

2 posts, read 2,907 times
Hey, Project Runway moved out here... Just sayin'...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles