U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2010, 09:55 AM

38 posts, read 101,329 times

Advertisements

Hey all, New York is just not for me, to be honest its kinda miserable.

I currently go to college in NY and this summer I plan on moving out to LA to attend FIDM. Does anyone know about this school, and does anyone know where the best place to find an apartment would be?

Also, I hear the traffic out there is pretty nasty so would living in a town like Santa Monica be to far from school or would i be better off living in a town like West Hollywood.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2010, 11:43 AM

7 posts, read 22,625 times
I live a block from FIDM, and the apts around here in downtown, in the South Park district are all pretty nice, but pricy. The traffic can be very nasty so I would try to live as close to campus and if you work, near where you work.

Santa Monica is going to be far with traffic. WeHo isn't bad and anywhere in there is nice, but traffic again, can be an issue.

Old 02-24-2010, 06:27 PM

215 posts, read 737,640 times
That's insane! You should go to FIT or Parsons in NYC. They're both much better schools and you will be taken much more seriously by employers when you graduate than if you go to FIDM.

I have a friend who made the mistake you're about to make and she has to get a job in LA doing something in designing for a year or two so she can have enough work experience under her belt just to compete with new graduates of FIT and Parsons.

Old 02-24-2010, 07:41 PM

10,629 posts, read 24,930,864 times
What is it you don't like about NY? Are you looking for a totally different feel? I'd echo the suggestion to just live downtown near campus, but there are other options that aren't too inconvenient if you don't want a city feel.

Old 02-25-2010, 08:58 AM

I don't like the concrete jungle feel of NY i've lived in this area my whole life and I'm rather sick of the cold and snow from October to April. I've always felt that I should live in LA though, I love the beach and love the "chill" attitude of the people out there.

I can deal with a little bit of traffic though, I dont need to be right around the corner from my school. If i'm moving to LA i'd like to experience more of CA feel anyway, and be out of the "inner city feel". But still I'd rather not have a commute more than 20-25 min.

Right now i've kind of narrowed my options to: West Hollywood, La Brea, Mar Vista and Santa Monica. How long would it take me to get to campus from these places?

Old 02-25-2010, 11:44 AM

9,722 posts, read 14,142,786 times
Do you have a car?

Old 02-25-2010, 12:58 PM

215 posts, read 737,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coast2coastmyhomeisjerz View Post
I don't like the concrete jungle feel of NY i've lived in this area my whole life and I'm rather sick of the cold and snow from October to April. I've always felt that I should live in LA though, I love the beach and love the "chill" attitude of the people out there.

I can deal with a little bit of traffic though, I dont need to be right around the corner from my school. If i'm moving to LA i'd like to experience more of CA feel anyway, and be out of the "inner city feel". But still I'd rather not have a commute more than 20-25 min.

Right now i've kind of narrowed my options to: West Hollywood, La Brea, Mar Vista and Santa Monica. How long would it take me to get to campus from these places?
About an hour without a car. With a car without traffic about 20 minutes.

The chill attitude is a reflection of the heavy drug use. It's not the movies. I'm a New Yorker who lives here and it's frustrating trying to communicate with a lot of these people, and when I meet people from almost every other part of the country we sort of laugh about it, but you'll learn that for yourself.

Again, nothing you wrote seems worth going to a subpar school that will set you back when in competition for jobs with the people going to FIT and Parsons.

If your desire is to work in fashion where do you expect to work when you graduate?

West Hollywood is the equivalent of the West Village next to Christopher street. If that's your scene cool. If not then you might want to look into a different neighborhood.

By the way, FIDM is in downtown LA. You will be in the middle of a concrete jungle feel when you go to school, though without the heavy foot or car traffic.

Old 02-25-2010, 02:28 PM

10,629 posts, read 24,930,864 times
Heavy drug use is related to who you hang out with, not general LA norms. None of my friends used drugs, and I don't think I was in such a minority. I don't know about the students at FIDM in specific, admittedly.

And LA does have a large fashion industry; I suppose it depends on what specifically you want to do, but it's not exactly as though LA is lacking in fashion jobs. (I should say in a "normal" economy; no idea what the job situation is like at the moment).

I would agree that the FIDM campus is very concrete jungle, but if you live elsewhere you'll be able to get away from that at night or on weekends.

Old 02-25-2010, 05:55 PM

-Yes I have a car

-To be honest I smoke weed, so i really could care less about the "heavy drug use" you speak of because weed itself doesnt hurt anyone. Mayor bloomberg however would throw you in jail for having a stem on you but thats another topic.

-I attend FIT, and it is quite the joke if you've been there recently. It is falling apart, and the school is becoming more and more "subpar" by the day.

-The new york fashion scene is not for me and I'm learning that more and more everyday. I plan on owning or working for a surf/skate/snowboarding apparel company and new york does anything but offer that.

Old 02-25-2010, 05:58 PM

Preferably I would like to live in a beach town like Santa Monica, or Marina Del Ray but it seems as if I'll have to live there after I graduate because of the heavy traffic. I feel like it'd take me an hour from Santa Monica on a bad day, and thats the last thing I need.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles