U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-25-2010, 09:47 PM

70 posts, read 172,380 times

Advertisements

Do many people who work just north/northeast of Griffith Park (Google Maps labels the area "Grand Central/Sepulveda") live in West Hollywood or Los Feliz?

I have no idea what that commute would be like and figured someone here would have some thoughts. Would that be an awful daily (and nightly) commute? Are the benefits of living in WeHo/Los Feliz worth having to drive around the park everyday? Is that even very far to drive? Are the rental costs significantly different? What are the significant differences?

It seems obvious that many people working in that area would choose to live in Glendale, Burbank, or Toluca Lake, but I dunno, WeHo or Los Feliz sounds more like my kind of place to be.

But then again, I really have no experience with LA at all. I know I threw out a bunch of stuff, but sincerely, thanks for any feedback.

Thoughts?
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2010, 11:04 AM

3,007 posts, read 5,235,159 times
I currently live in Los Feliz, so I'm a bit more partial and familiar with the area. I've only visited and have friends in West Hollywood.

Los Feliz to Glendale (the area you're looking at) can take a few minutes up the 5fwy.

West Hollywood to Glendale can take quite a bit longer. (Though I'm assuming you'd be taking the 101 to 134) I wouldn't drive down Sunset for a commute ever. (Although I'm only basing this on the few times I've driven it during rush hour.)

West Hollywood is a bit "cleaner" than Los Feliz, and I guess what I mean by that is "newer." Though both are OK areas.

Rents will be about the same, higher than average for a nicer apartment. I don't know current figures though.

Both are gay friendly (WeHo winning that one of course), with Los Feliz being a bit more hipsterish with it's approximation to the Silverlake area. Whereas West Hollywood shares its borders with a more bohemian (the Hollywood side) and rich (the Beverly Hills side).

Old 02-26-2010, 12:17 PM

Thanks for the info!

So from Los Feliz to Glendale up I5, can literally, take only a few minutes sometimes?

And I know about Hollywood and Beverly Hills, but what's up with the Silverlake area's "hipsterishness?" I've never really heard anything abou Silverlake.

Old 02-26-2010, 12:57 PM

3,007 posts, read 5,235,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trunky View Post
Thanks for the info!

So from Los Feliz to Glendale up I5, can literally, take only a few minutes sometimes?

And I know about Hollywood and Beverly Hills, but what's up with the Silverlake area's "hipsterishness?" I've never really heard anything abou Silverlake.

IF you leave early enough it shouldn't take you too long. I can't see it taking more than 20min, but I head in the opposite direction in the mornings so ...

On the weekends I'll head to Target near the Americana (mall) in Glendale, I take side streets and it takes me about 15 min. Or I'll go to the Burbank Ikea, and take the 5 north and it takes me about the same; 15-20minutes.

Hipsters usually inhabit areas like Silverlake, Los Feliz and Echo Park. Mostly transplants they've taken over the primarily Hispanic neighborhoods and install coffee shops and shoe stores along the main drags. Hipster men are usually bearded and skinny wear sunglasses and ride scooters (poorly), and the women are waify and (currently) wear black tights and loose fitting tops. They may or not have jobs and although sometimes pretentious they aren't usually annoying. Their favorite bands of all time include: The Pixies, Pavement and My Bloody Valentine.

Despite my general disdain for them I think I'm coming to the realization that I may be a closet hipster.

In any case rents in the Silverlake/Echo Park are considerably cheaper the farther east you go as the area is less and less gentrified.

Old 02-26-2010, 06:56 PM

Thanks, that's helpful. That was a funny read about the hipsters. How possibly ironic, being jobless and pretentious at the same time...

"Despite my general disdain for them I think I'm coming to the realization that I may be a closet hipster."

Old 02-26-2010, 10:06 PM

1,150 posts, read 2,396,145 times
Overall, I think that's a fairly easy commute by LA standards mostly because those areas you mention are so close together.

Traffic in Glendale and Burbank is fairly normal, i.e. American suburban "normal".

Traffic in the Hollywood area is much, much worse. I sat through numerous bumper-to-bumper jams heading to Glendale via Los Feliz Boulevard from Hollywood.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or