U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2010, 08:48 PM

73 posts, read 183,239 times

Advertisements

So I'm in to all things creative: writing, film, directing, and acting. I'm from the metro detroit area, about ready to pack my bags and leave for LA - BUT the Detroit media/newspapers keep saying that the film industry from LA is moving HERE and IS here!!!(Film industry reels in new residents | freep.com | Detroit Free Press (http://www.freep.com/article/20100221/BUSINESS06/2210478/Film-industry-reels-in-new-residents - broken link))
I'm soo frustrated! I WANT TO GO FAR with my acting, writing, and creative abilities but I hate Michigan! But then again it seems like the competition would be 100x greater in LA...
'Do I stay or do I go now?'
{P.S. I also care about a social life and the weather, which I feel is wayy better in L.A.}
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2010, 11:19 PM

16,242 posts, read 27,520,737 times
The industry goes where it makes economic sence to film. With more resorces in the LA area is always returns to LA over time.

If you are writing, why do you need to be here? It is much more expensive to live here.

Why not write a script and sell it. You could also make shorts and put them on you tube. A few movie deals have happened that way.

Old 02-26-2010, 11:20 PM

2 posts, read 6,447 times
like it

Old 02-27-2010, 12:39 AM

73 posts, read 183,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
The industry goes where it makes economic sence to film. With more resorces in the LA area is always returns to LA over time.

If you are writing, why do you need to be here? It is much more expensive to live here.

Why not write a script and sell it. You could also make shorts and put them on you tube. A few movie deals have happened that way.
Okay, yea, one could probably write in both places. I guess I'm more asking about ACTING.

Old 02-27-2010, 06:54 PM

804 posts, read 2,191,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ennea4 View Post
So I'm in to all things creative: writing, film, directing, and acting. I'm from the metro Detroit area, about ready to pack my bags and leave for LA - BUT the Detroit media/newspapers keep saying that the film industry from LA is moving HERE and IS here!!!(Film industry reels in new residents | Free.com | Detroit Free Press (http://www.freep.com/article/20100221/BUSINESS06/2210478/Film-industry-reels-in-new-residents - broken link))
I'm soo frustrated! I WANT TO GO FAR with my acting, writing, and creative abilities but I hate Michigan! But then again it seems like the competition would be 100x greater in LA...
{P.S. I also care about a social life and the weather, which I feel is wayy better in L.A.}

Here's your solution. Detroit is a crap hole, it's ghetto, rundown, etc. Why the hell even think about pursuing a career there in any way? Especially if it has to do with the entertainment industry? I tell you right now that LA is already prominent in that field so finding work here would surely be a million times better, also once we pull out of the recession LA would be back in business. So choose LA, it's nicer, prettier and a much better place to live than Detroit.

Old 02-27-2010, 09:53 PM

16,242 posts, read 27,520,737 times
I am with Hollywood Inquirer on this one. Just make sure before you get here to have a way to support yourself.

Also to get into the acting business you will need to get a SAG card. To get it you need to verify that you were an extra on 3 differant projects. To verify that you need to get your ticket stamped and not everyone is bending over backward to do that for you. You can contact the Screen Actors Guild for info on how to go about it. As much as I am against the Union the business is pro union and many wont give you the time of day if you don't have your SAG card.

Two co-workers that I know have SAG cards. One former co-workers 2 kids have them. Takes time to do it though.

The other route, especially if you can write and create something, is to create a persona or charachter that is unique to you. Create your own success. If it doesn't work you can always make changes untill you have something that sells.

Old 02-28-2010, 02:32 AM

364 posts, read 893,248 times
Sorry but Detroit has nothing compared to L.A.

Case in point: The actor they profiled in that Detroit news article - never heard of him. Let's be honest - one of the perks of acting is fame. That is not going to happen by staying in Michigan.

Old 02-28-2010, 02:38 AM

6,529 posts, read 10,203,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ennea4 View Post
So I'm in to all things creative: writing, film, directing, and acting. I'm from the metro detroit area, about ready to pack my bags and leave for LA - BUT the Detroit media/newspapers keep saying that the film industry from LA is moving HERE and IS here!!!(Film industry reels in new residents | freep.com | Detroit Free Press (http://www.freep.com/article/20100221/BUSINESS06/2210478/Film-industry-reels-in-new-residents - broken link))
Detroit? You must be kidding me. If there was even another big city that the Hollywood industry has production and connections with, it's Atlanta. Atlanta is slowly becoming 'LA 2.0". If you don't want the hustle and bustle and astronomical cost of LA life, move to Atlanta. Not Detroit.

Old 03-01-2010, 06:04 PM

19 posts, read 53,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allenk893 View Post
Detroit? You must be kidding me. If there was even another big city that the Hollywood industry has production and connections with, it's Atlanta. Atlanta is slowly becoming 'LA 2.0". If you don't want the hustle and bustle and astronomical cost of LA life, move to Atlanta. Not Detroit.
Which there isn't.

Old 03-01-2010, 06:44 PM

2,253 posts, read 6,150,074 times
Wink Way out West

Location really does matter in such things. Particularly as an actor you stand a far better chance of getting roles in LA than Detroit. Hollywood is still the epicenter. That said, you'll also find yourself trying to live in an expensive place with all the other would-be actors who are probably your servers in any restaurant.

It may help to think strategically. As in if acting is it, then what steps will best lead to it? Even if Hollywood is in LA, which moves will actually best get your foot in the door.

I can tell you for a fact that they hire extras in New Mexico for feature films. There is a small but definite movie business there which is centered on Santa Fe, NM. You may have seen more than a few westerns and other movies that were filmed there. Just outside Santa Fe is an established, working, movie lot. It just could be, really might, that the aspiring actor might more easily get their foot in the door in a place such as this, be noticed. There is less serious competition. Once that is accomplished you'll be working with the best, with your dedication and abilities the best predictors of success.

After all, last I heard Harrison Ford resides just outside of Jackson, WY. However as an aspiring actor at the outset me might well have starved there. In some way or manner he had to begin.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles