Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2012, 01:51 PM

7,226 posts, read 22,197,011 times

Advertisements

i'm with dmode, things change, deal with it. the golden days of yore are over, move on. no place stays the same, move f it doesn't work out for you. obviously one poster did that and he/she moved to Colorado (the new CA). I've been to aspen and vail, they are like beverly hills in the mountains. even boulder is like the cousin to santa monica or berkeley. all these 'new found treasure' locations will eventually become popular and desirable and the same thing will happen as did in CA. your kids will then have to find the 'next' place that is the ideal community before it is ruined for their kids. so reminisce all you want (sounds more like whining to me) and be ready to complain about your current location in the next few decades if you haven't moved on already.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2012, 02:24 PM

9,197 posts, read 16,843,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmode View Post
So yeah, push for yuppiefication/techiefication/hipstarization - I am all for it.
Except these zombies sap the soul out of whatever enclave they infect. Can't just replace local creativity with a dozen Starbuck's without sad, pathetic consequences (i.e., where conversations once concerned topics like the arts and politics, subsequently replaced by concerns about BMWs, iPhones and reality TV). The death of imagination.

Old 05-16-2012, 02:56 PM

184 posts, read 353,584 times
True, it's rare to find someone in L.A that is actually concerned about politics, art, literature..

It's more people driving in their BMWs talking on their iPhones while trying to become the next Reality TV star!

Old 05-16-2012, 03:06 PM

812 posts, read 1,470,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRinSM View Post
so reminisce all you want (sounds more like whining to me) and be ready to complain about your current location in the next few decades if you haven't moved on already.
After having witnessed the effective destruction of my hometown by the forces you describe, this poster had enough sense/experience to steer clear of Boulder. I've come to appreciate my new city and neighborhood in the same way I appreciated Santa Monica until roughly 1985. Change happens and we all must adapt, one way or another. Some change is good, other change is maybe not so good. Discerning the difference can be difficult but makes all the difference.

One thing I especially appreciate about the upscale, physically beautiful, achievable for the highly educated and hard working, and yet somehow down-to-earth neighborhood I've found to live and raise my own family is that it not only bears an uncanny resemblance to the Santa Monica I remember before it came down with a fatal case of Kardashianitis but that roughly half my current neighbors graduated from the local high school. I honestly believe it will likely stay this way and that my own children, if they put their mind to it, will have an opportunity to live in roughly the same great neighborhood in which they were raised, in the event they actually want to. That's part of what makes it so mind-bogglingly great and why it became so disturbingly bad there. If that's whiny, so be it. I frankly feel more like I'm spiking a proverbial football after a roughly 25 year long struggle to score a touchdown, but whatever.

Old 05-16-2012, 03:46 PM

184 posts, read 353,584 times
I am glad that you have found a nice place that you like. Do you mind sharing where you live currently? Sounds like a nice place.

Old 05-16-2012, 03:50 PM

9,197 posts, read 16,843,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bophisto View Post
i am glad that you have found a nice place that you like. Do you mind sharing where you live currently? Sounds like a nice place.
Sound like CA 2.0

Old 05-16-2012, 04:14 PM

16,806 posts, read 39,945,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmode View Post
So yeah, push for yuppiefication/techiefication/hipstarization - I am all for it.
Yuppies/techies, no problem. But what do hipsters bring to the table, outside of being annoying?

Old 05-16-2012, 04:32 PM

1,058 posts, read 1,159,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRinSM View Post
i'm with dmode, things change, deal with it. the golden days of yore are over, move on. no place stays the same, move f it doesn't work out for you. obviously one poster did that and he/she moved to Colorado (the new CA). I've been to aspen and vail, they are like beverly hills in the mountains. even boulder is like the cousin to santa monica or berkeley. all these 'new found treasure' locations will eventually become popular and desirable and the same thing will happen as did in CA. your kids will then have to find the 'next' place that is the ideal community before it is ruined for their kids. so reminisce all you want (sounds more like whining to me) and be ready to complain about your current location in the next few decades if you haven't moved on already.
Well this is the truth. I cannot tell you how many keep X city weird bumper stickers (Austin and Portland come to mind) I have seen over the years.

Old 05-16-2012, 04:33 PM

1,058 posts, read 1,159,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fontucky View Post
Yuppies/techies, no problem. But what do hipsters bring to the table, outside of being annoying?
Oh come on you don't like people who ironically enjoy things like Pabst Blue Ribbon?

Old 05-16-2012, 05:25 PM

9,828 posts, read 9,416,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bophisto View Post
True, it's rare to find someone in L.A that is actually concerned about politics, art, literature..

It's more people driving in their BMWs talking on their iPhones while trying to become the next Reality TV star!
Disgruntled transplant alert!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles