U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-11-2010, 09:47 AM

25,739 posts, read 26,064,173 times

Advertisements

Re: being an unfriendly city...LA is so spread out, I don't know how they arrived at the "city" as one whole and as it being the unfriendliest...but I can tell you, and unbiased at that (as I grew up in and miss the northeast), there is no way in heaven or on earth that LA is more unfriendly than, say, Manhattan.

As for people not looking up and saying "hello," this tends to be more so in more congested cities/cities with more people and there's a societal/cultural reason for it. I read in...I think The Naked Ape (it's been a while) that the physically closer people are forced to be/live/work, the less friendly in an outgoing/demonstrative way they tend to be, and it's actually to give people non-physical boundaries. Since people can't physically have their "space" (in traffic...in stores...at work...wherever), they naturally afford one another that privacy by keeping their eyes down, not approaching each other, etc. In the case of very close (for instance, some cities) quarters singling someone out, even if cheerily, can be seen as overly familiar and therefore suspect because it feels out of place and intrusive and is thus a warning sign or a red flag.

In areas with fewer people, there already is the physical space there, so they can much more easily talk to one another, single each other out, wave, even touch each other occasionally as far as societal conventions (like a touch on the shoulder or whatever, in certain cultures) without fear of seeming intrusive because the physical boundaries are already in place a majority of the time.

In fact, in a congested situation, directly looking at/singling out another person can be seen as aggressive and so keeping one's eyes down or away from other people, etc. is actually a tool to keep society running smoothly and an attempt at decreasing fighting, etc. that can and will ensue when people are crunched together in a small area.

I can say that by "unfriendliest," I didn't first think of people not saying hello...I thought of people being angry/aggressive/confrontational. I'm sorry but in many parts of NYC and many parts of Chicago, etc. you will see WAY more outwardly aggressive shouts/swearing/general nastiness than in LA, at least from my experience, and I've been in all three of these cities (parts of them...again...LA is just so spread out).

So...people being unfriendly in a city with a huge population is actually kind of a normal thing. It doesn't necessarily connote general unhappiness or dissatisfaction, etc. with the area itself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2010, 10:56 PM

4,582 posts, read 6,183,162 times
Not to get off on a tangent about eye contact, but I think in NY and many other big cities, you avoid direct eye contact so you don't get hit up by some scammer or pan-handler. All they need is to engage you, and it's on. Believe me, I learned my lesson and now just keep eyes straight ahead when in the big city.

Old 03-11-2010, 10:57 PM

9,816 posts, read 18,892,738 times
Once yrs back a LAPD motorcycle cop stared at me big time when i was at a stop light in my 1982 camero Z28. I have never forgotten about it to this day. Actually late last year 2 cops (1 detective, unmarked cop car) did the same damn thing in banning,ca. I was in my 90 Tbird in july & 85 olds delta 88 in sept. Go figure.

Old 03-11-2010, 11:10 PM

16,584 posts, read 34,414,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
"So, What church do you go to?"
How I wish someone would ask me that (so I could tell them I haven't been inside a church in 45 years), but nobody asks that 'round here. They don't care, dog bless 'em.

Old 03-12-2010, 01:32 AM

16,584 posts, read 34,414,493 times
Could you try that in English?

Old 03-12-2010, 03:15 AM

70 posts, read 172,544 times
Great post JerZ. I'd be interested in reading more on that...

Old 03-12-2010, 04:04 AM

12,381 posts, read 23,790,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AliveandWell View Post
Hello to all living in Los Angeles,

Recently I've seen quite a few threads about people wanting to move to L.A. and as a long term resident of this nation's 2nd largest city, I wanted to offer my opinions about what I think the truth is about L.A. and not the stuff many people hear about this city on the television or what they see based on how the movies portray it. These are going to be my opinions and I ask that all of you please respect my views even if you don't agree with them.

Okay, so the first obvious truth about L.A. is according to me:

1. The air quality is horrible. I say this because I have allergy and sinus problems. The air out here is just not fresh enough. Just go outside and take a walk and you'll see what I mean. Excluding the coast which I wouldn't even bother living in anyway, the air quality is the worst in the nation. A simple Google search will show the proof.

2. Cost of living is outrageously expensive. This one speaks for itself unless you want to rent a room in someone's house which is what I'm basically doing now.

3. Public transit is not that good here. A bus ride from Glendale to Burbank would take over an hour. Although we have a Metro system in L.A. it does not cover the entire city.

4. There is too much sunshine here. Its interesting because when I was 15, I used to love sunny days but now I've gotten to the point where I think the constant, dry sunny rainless days are a bit boring IMO. Which brings me to my next point.

5. The weather and climate is not as good as most people seem to think. Especially in the summer in the inland valleys where temperatures can soar into the 100s and can stay that way for at least a good 4-5 months. From about July to October and even November can see heat waves at times. IMO the best weather months in L.A. are December through April and three weeks in June with the June Gloom days. Okay L.A. is not as hot as Phoenix but summers are not the best IMO. Not enough variety in the weather in L.A. Not enough rain, no snow and too many brush fires. I know what many of you think but I am not a person that actually loves Los Angeles weather but we do have our "good" months. I put the word good in quotes because although the metro area has its nice weather days, it can't compare to San Francisco, Portland, OR or Seattle. I'm not even living here for the weather as I could care less quite frankly. Those of you that want to move here because you think the weather is so nice, think long and hard before you do it because its not what you may think. I'd rather have weather in the 50s, 60s or even 40s. I think I was born to handle cold better. Hey at least New York doesn't have earthquakes or brush fires, haha!

6. Yes, the food is great here, especially if you like Mexican or Japanese food.

7. Yes, there is a lot of cultural diversity here.

8. Yes, there is a ton of poverty in the L.A. metro with different groups not getting along with each other.

9. There's a lot to see and do but the issue is everything is so spread out here. L.A. is a city built for cars and even the streets are usually not pedestrian friendly.

10. L.A. drivers are the worst I've ever seen so far because they cut you off without using their signal lights or they can cut in front of you on the freeways. Yes this has happened too many times in my 26 years of living here. Some of these drivers also drive a bit fast.

11. People in L.A. are usually tough to maintain friendships with because they are so busy its tough to get a hold of your friends. I went to Japan for 16 days a few years back and made more friends over there in those 16 days than I would in 16 days over here.

I am not trying to say L.A. is a horrible place to live. There are things I like about L.A. but it is not as good as some think. I was just trying to point out some of the realities of living here. If I find others I will post them.
To get some things clear. On some of your rantings.

3. Public Transport in LA is about to go through a massive expansion , my LA friend gave me the list and mileage. By 2040 95% of the LA Basin should be covered , if your willing to wait another 30 years you will see that.

5. We actually do get small Earthquakes here in the Northeast ranging 2.5-6.0 but not anywhere close to a West Coast Earthquakes. And we do get Brush Fires here , even in some parts of NYC in the Wetlands during the winter and fall, in fact there was a small one a few days ago. The large ones burn up to a square mile or 2 and shut down Highways and Railways.

9. That will reverse itself hopefully over the next decade or 2 my friend says and i agree with.

10. LA Drivers sound sweet compared to here , my god its terrible here. + the European tourists are wild drivers and you got the violent rush hour fights on the expressways.

Old 03-12-2010, 04:07 AM

2,031 posts, read 2,814,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
Re: being an unfriendly city...LA is so spread out, I don't know how they arrived at the "city" as one whole and as it being the unfriendliest...but I can tell you, and unbiased at that (as I grew up in and miss the northeast), there is no way in heaven or on earth that LA is more unfriendly than, say, Manhattan.

As for people not looking up and saying "hello," this tends to be more so in more congested cities/cities with more people and there's a societal/cultural reason for it. I read in...I think The Naked Ape (it's been a while) that the physically closer people are forced to be/live/work, the less friendly in an outgoing/demonstrative way they tend to be, and it's actually to give people non-physical boundaries. Since people can't physically have their "space" (in traffic...in stores...at work...wherever), they naturally afford one another that privacy by keeping their eyes down, not approaching each other, etc. In the case of very close (for instance, some cities) quarters singling someone out, even if cheerily, can be seen as overly familiar and therefore suspect because it feels out of place and intrusive and is thus a warning sign or a red flag.

In areas with fewer people, there already is the physical space there, so they can much more easily talk to one another, single each other out, wave, even touch each other occasionally as far as societal conventions (like a touch on the shoulder or whatever, in certain cultures) without fear of seeming intrusive because the physical boundaries are already in place a majority of the time.

In fact, in a congested situation, directly looking at/singling out another person can be seen as aggressive and so keeping one's eyes down or away from other people, etc. is actually a tool to keep society running smoothly and an attempt at decreasing fighting, etc. that can and will ensue when people are crunched together in a small area.

I can say that by "unfriendliest," I didn't first think of people not saying hello...I thought of people being angry/aggressive/confrontational. I'm sorry but in many parts of NYC and many parts of Chicago, etc. you will see WAY more outwardly aggressive shouts/swearing/general nastiness than in LA, at least from my experience, and I've been in all three of these cities (parts of them...again...LA is just so spread out).

So...people being unfriendly in a city with a huge population is actually kind of a normal thing. It doesn't necessarily connote general unhappiness or dissatisfaction, etc. with the area itself.
NYC was #1 unfriendliest city. LA was #2.

Old 03-12-2010, 05:05 AM

79 posts, read 187,729 times
Fontucky
U sound like Thane from Mass Effect 2, " is there anything else master"? hell yeah, I wanna know where U from, whats ur status?

Old 03-12-2010, 10:58 AM

600 posts, read 1,442,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CantWait2Leave View Post
NYC was #1 unfriendliest city. LA was #2.
Isn't NYC city # 1 biggest city in the US (based on population) and LA # 2? That explains it, I think.

I've been to both NY and LA and I have to say - NY residents do not even come CLOSE to LA residents when it comes to being unfriendly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or