U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2010, 05:38 PM

2 posts, read 7,136 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone,

I am conserdering living in downtown/central (Poly High area) downtown Long beach in a gated condo community. I am married and have two small children. We are caucasian, and younger (25) but we both work in downtown lb and our children will be attending a school in the area. I am not super familiar with the area, and was wondering what others thought about us moving there. Thanks

~Me in LB
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2010, 06:15 PM

5,113 posts, read 17,707,097 times
It's not a traditional family area, but there are tons of activities for kids with the arcade, Queen Mary, movie theater, Shoreline Village, etc all close by. In my experience, families that want the urban living like Downtown provides tend to move to the east in Belmont Shore/Heights

Old 03-02-2010, 06:19 PM

11,715 posts, read 36,507,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhcompy View Post
It's not a traditional family area, but there are tons of activities for kids with the arcade, Queen Mary, movie theater, Shoreline Village, etc all close by. In my experience, families that want the urban living like Downtown provides tend to move to the east in Belmont Shore/Heights
In other words, areas where they're less likely to get mugged than where the thread starter plans to live.

Old 03-02-2010, 07:17 PM

7,136 posts, read 19,421,094 times
you'd probably be better off closer to the water. however, i'm sure you'd be fine, but it would definitely be an adventure.

Old 03-02-2010, 09:35 PM

916 posts, read 3,316,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meinlb View Post
Hello everyone,

I am conserdering living in downtown/central (Poly High area) downtown Long beach in a gated condo community. I am married and have two small children. We are caucasian, and younger (25) but we both work in downtown lb and our children will be attending a school in the area. I am not super familiar with the area, and was wondering what others thought about us moving there. Thanks

~Me in LB
You could comfortably live downtown though it tends to be hipsters and young people without children. I would draw a distinction between downtown and the poly area. The area around Poly is not so great. If you don't want to go as far east as Belmont Heights/Shore, etc. then I think you may want to look at Bluff Park, Bluff Heights, etc.

Last edited by NaplesRes; 03-02-2010 at 09:59 PM..

Old 03-08-2010, 02:57 PM

2 posts, read 7,136 times
Thank you all. We would love to live in the Belmont area, but we cannot afford. We are first time home buyers and found a brand new condo in this area in our price range. It would put us closer to our work (zero commute) and the children's schools (walking distance). I just was not too sure about really living in this area. I was totally laughing about the adventure, because I know we will definatly stick out in the neighborhood. But again, our home would be gated and secured... I just wanted to know how bad it is here... Thanks again.

Old 03-09-2010, 12:05 AM

4,233 posts, read 8,932,740 times
Rent.

Real estate in Long Beach in any halfway decent area is sick overpriced at the moment. The cheap stuff is bottomed, but its in bombed out neighborhoods.

Real Estate in the LBC

Old 03-09-2010, 06:02 PM

14 posts, read 31,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meinlb View Post
Thank you all. We would love to live in the Belmont area, but we cannot afford. We are first time home buyers and found a brand new condo in this area in our price range. It would put us closer to our work (zero commute) and the children's schools (walking distance). I just was not too sure about really living in this area. I was totally laughing about the adventure, because I know we will definatly stick out in the neighborhood. But again, our home would be gated and secured... I just wanted to know how bad it is here... Thanks again.

Although small i believe signal hill, hawaiian gardens, and bixby knolls might be decent areas to begin your search...

Old 03-09-2010, 06:07 PM

11,715 posts, read 36,507,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kreator562 View Post
Although small i believe signal hill, hawaiian gardens, and bixby knolls might be decent areas to begin your search...
Hawaiin Gardens?

Old 03-09-2010, 06:27 PM

14 posts, read 31,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeCalifornia View Post
Hawaiin Gardens?
Yep, haha....it is a very tiny city right near LB. Probably better suited for renting but hey....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles