Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2010, 11:01 AM

26,680 posts, read 28,674,422 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Not since the Beach Boys were in peach fuzz and crew cuts has it been so safe to live and play in the City of Angels. Believe it: you are more likely to be murdered in Columbus, Ohio, or Tulsa, Okla., than in the nation’s second most populous city.

“You have to go back to 1957 — when I was four years old! — to find a similar period,” Charlie Beck, the Los Angeles police chief, was telling me. “How crazy is that?”
L.A. Consequential - Opinionator Blog - NYTimes.com

Nice to see some good news.

Last edited by AnUnidentifiedMale; 03-04-2010 at 12:08 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2010, 11:29 AM

7,728 posts, read 12,624,521 times
That's really nice. Good news in LA for a change. I was beginning to think you guys were hopeless. I wouldn't be surprised if there is a rainbow shining over Compton soon!

Old 03-04-2010, 11:36 AM

3,966 posts, read 10,700,587 times
hmmm me thinks this article is deceiving people. The same crimes have being committed for years, its only the frequency that has changed. That of course comes with population numbers. This trend can be recorded all the way back to the 1920's. Sorry the 1950's weren't anymore safe then today.

Why do you think such agencies like the police, Scotland yard, and the FBI were invented?

If he thinks the Mexican mafia and drug cartel have magically disappeared and made California safe again. He is wrong. Don't give me that debbie downer ****, go look it up.

Old 03-04-2010, 12:12 PM

4,538 posts, read 10,631,284 times
It's not entirely true....the way things are presented is sort of disingenuous.

Yes LAPD has had an impact and yes certain neighborhoods have gentrified. Some gangs have been eliminated entirely(Toonerville, White Fence, etc). And some gangs have slowed activity. So there are areas that are MUCH safer than they were ten years ago.

However....in the 1950's there were HUGE swaths of the city that were extremely safe. I'd guess that the entire SF Valley was basically like Leave It To Beaver. East LA and Highland Park were not the same neighborhoods they are now, and even the area south of the 10, east of the 110 was pretty decent.

The real problem in LA continues to be the "opportunity" crimes. Basically there are predators out there....lots...who will take advantage of whatever situation is presented. This is constant and infects pretty much every neighborhood in LA, even the nice ones. This whole scenario does not affect suburbs outside LA, not even the rougher areas.

IMO to eliminate that, LAPD needs to put officers on foot patrol....or segways or bikes or horses or whatever...their presence needs to be constant and they need to be in a situation where the officers and community know each other. They need to go back to a 5 day a week schedule for officers rather than the current 3 day workweeks, disband all their specialized units(make one narco and one gang unit per bureau...per every 5 stations), and assign those officers to targeted foot beats.

The areas I'm most familiar with where I would assign foot patrol officers...where I think they would have the greatest impact....

In the SF Valley: Van Nuys Bl/VN city hall, Reseda's business district, North Hollywood particularly Lankershim from Victory to Roscoe, Panorama City around VN Bl and Roscoe, Sunland on Foothill Bl, Sepulveda Bl from Sherman Way to Nordoff.

In LA....Hollywood(Sunset Bl), Silver Lake/Echo Park on Sunset, Alvarado/Mcarthur Park area, Downtown LA particularly Main, Spring, Broadway, and Los Angeles street, Eagle Rock/Highland Park along Figueroa.

Old 03-04-2010, 12:32 PM

1,213 posts, read 3,609,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnG72 View Post
However....in the 1950's there were HUGE swaths of the city that were extremely safe. I'd guess that the entire SF Valley was basically like Leave It To Beaver. East LA and Highland Park were not the same neighborhoods they are now, and even the area south of the 10, east of the 110 was pretty decent.
The same can be said for pretty much every other American city unfortunately. SF's Bayview/Hunter's Point used to be a thriving working class neighborhood, now it's a no-go war zone of public housing. East Saint Louis; Camden/Newark, NJ; Detroit; Gary, IN; the Bronx....they all were much more pleasant places in the 1950's. If we're going to be skeptical of LA's crime statistics, we need to do the same for all other cities such as NYC, which annual proclaims to be the safest big city in America.

Old 03-04-2010, 12:36 PM

2,497 posts, read 7,478,621 times
Funny when there's good news it's taken with caution. Yet when the bad stuff happens it's accepted with open arms so we can all dwell on it.
Los Angeles could turn into Mayberry and some would say it's a government cover up.

Old 03-04-2010, 04:07 PM

736 posts, read 2,296,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by w1ngzer0 View Post
hmmm me thinks this article is deceiving people. The same crimes have being committed for years, its only the frequency that has changed. That of course comes with population numbers. This trend can be recorded all the way back to the 1920's. Sorry the 1950's weren't anymore safe then today.

Why do you think such agencies like the police, Scotland yard, and the FBI were invented?

If he thinks the Mexican mafia and drug cartel have magically disappeared and made California safe again. He is wrong. Don't give me that debbie downer ****, go look it up.
Your post makes no sense.

Yes, the FREQUENCY has changed!!!! That is the good news: we are a safer city than we were 20 years ago. The crime stats are reported per captia to ADJUST for CHANGES in POP.

Are we a perfectly safe city? No, but the TREND is certiainly encouraging.....

Why is it that conspiracy theorists seem to proliferate here on City-Data. Do you also think the moon landing was some kind of a hoax???

Old 03-04-2010, 04:20 PM

2,031 posts, read 3,225,641 times
I don't believe it at all. My father was born and raised in L.A. and he definitely doesn't feel as safe as when it was the 50s.

Old 03-04-2010, 04:23 PM

736 posts, read 2,296,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CantWait2Leave View Post
I don't believe it at all. My father was born and raised in L.A. and he definitely doesn't feel as safe as when it was the 50s.

Well, to be honest what your father "feels" is not the issue....the empircal evidence is what it is. People do have a nostalgia for the 1950's. Life was slower, simpler. So it seems like things were so great.

But SMOG was worse in the '50's, more Americans died in car accidents (per capita), Racism was the law of the land, and if you think the LAPD is corrupt today try the 1950's LAPD!!!!!

Old 03-04-2010, 07:18 PM

4,538 posts, read 10,631,284 times
You guys are missing the point by quite a bit. Yes crime is down. No doubt about it. I feel safer out. Even in the rougher areas. And the numbers support that.

I have zero doubt that LA right now is a MUCH safer place than it was in the early 1990's.

But there is no way in hell its as safe a place as it was in the 50's. And thats the comparison that LAPD has been trying to make. And its not a vailid comparison.

I'll also note that much of LAPD's emphasis has in the past few years correctly been on violent crime, while ignoring enforcement on property crimes. However, that continues despite the record decline in violent crimes. LAPD patrol officers pay all of 5 seconds attention when they get called to a property crime scene. There are relatively few detectives assigned to auto burglary and other property crimes. I maintain that LAPD MUST disband its specialized units and assign ALL those officers to patrol duty, initiate a beat patrol program throughout the city, and revert all officers to a 5 day a week schedule.

I probably will not be a popular guy amoung the rank and file for suggesting this. But the truth is that the reason for putting officers on a 3/12 schedule(that they'd leave for other departments) is now gone. Few other departments are hiring, and those that are do not pay as well as LAPD. A 5/40 schedule benefits the citizens of LA by providing the most officers patrolling on the street as is possible. The citizens safety should have priority over the officers work schedule if there are no other mitigating factors.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles