Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2010, 06:45 PM

1,854 posts, read 4,922,182 times

Advertisements

Los Angeles' business environment seems to be chasing away major companies in droves. Hilton and Northrop Grumman moving to the DC region are the latest.

So what companies are likely to leave L.A. (sadly) for greener pastures?

Occidental Petroleum to Texas? It is the energy capital of the world and it's easy to do business there.

CB Richard Ellis to DC, Texas, Carolinas, etc.?

Thoughts?

(sorry for the pessimism!)

Last edited by PDX_LAX; 03-04-2010 at 07:00 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2010, 09:43 AM

3,393 posts, read 5,278,709 times
I just hope Disney doesn't leave or some of the major movie studios. If I were a company, I'd leave.

Old 03-05-2010, 10:02 AM

1,044 posts, read 2,768,190 times
I don't necessarily dispute your general point, but as I understand it, Northrop Grumman moved its corporate headquarters (upper management bigwigs) to the DC region to be closer to the federal trough, but its massive engineering/manufacturing facilities remain in SoCal. I don't think it had much to do with wanting to escape LA per se:

Defense titan Northrop Grumman to leave Los Angeles for D.C. area - washingtonpost.com

"We are a global security company, and all of the federal processes, whether the executive branch or Congress, are in the Washington area," said Wes Bush, Northrop's chief executive and president. "We think we'll be able to do a better job for our customers and our company by having our corporate office there."
Northrop executives said they expect to continue to have a "substantial" presence in California, with about 30,000 employees.

"This is not about a reduction in our focus on California," Bush said. "We believe the corporate office will function more effectively in the Washington region."

Old 03-05-2010, 10:06 AM

11,715 posts, read 40,449,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbunniii View Post
I don't necessarily dispute your general point, but as I understand it, Northrop Grumman moved its corporate headquarters (upper management bigwigs) to the DC region to be closer to the federal trough, but its massive engineering/manufacturing facilities remain in SoCal. I don't think it had much to do with wanting to escape LA per se:

Defense titan Northrop Grumman to leave Los Angeles for D.C. area - washingtonpost.com

"We are a global security company, and all of the federal processes, whether the executive branch or Congress, are in the Washington area," said Wes Bush, Northrop's chief executive and president. "We think we'll be able to do a better job for our customers and our company by having our corporate office there."
Northrop executives said they expect to continue to have a "substantial" presence in California, with about 30,000 employees.

"This is not about a reduction in our focus on California," Bush said. "We believe the corporate office will function more effectively in the Washington region."
They say that now, but as California becomes more and more hostile to industry, having their HQ out of state will make it that much easier to pull out of CA down the road.

Old 03-05-2010, 10:46 AM

7,226 posts, read 22,194,951 times
apparently the guy who runs oxy has strong ties to LA so i can't imagine them moving while he is at the reins. also, i don't think disney or the movie studios are going anywhere either, they'd have to start from scratch as far as building new studios and infrastructure. it could happen, but in today's economic climate, the amount of time to recoup the costs of a move would take a long time and are probably just not worth it. most the big companies in LA are one many located here in their industry and birds of a feather flock together (movies, music, tv, logistics, shipping, biotech, video games, etc...). it has happened before where an industry pretty much just picked up and left (aerospace), but let's just hope that doesn't happen again.

Old 03-05-2010, 11:52 AM

2,324 posts, read 7,623,911 times
It just isn't fair for a company to have to pay so many taxes and provide so many expensive benefits for employees, employees who in turn also pay so many taxes and have other deductions from their paychecks when 40% of the economy is cash only; so unfair......

Old 03-05-2010, 03:06 PM

1,044 posts, read 2,768,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeCalifornia View Post
They say that now, but as California becomes more and more hostile to industry, having their HQ out of state will make it that much easier to pull out of CA down the road.
You may be right. And I know for a fact (from a friend who is a hiring manager at one of their South Bay sites) that most of Northrop's new hiring is not being done in Southern California but rather in places like North Carolina.

The main reason he cites is the high cost of salaries in California, and the inability to attract new workers from out of state (fresh college graduates OR experienced engineers) because even with the much higher salaries of today versus the 1990s, they can't afford a decent quality of life here, e.g., can't buy a house at all, can't afford to rent apartments by the beach like they could in the 1990s, etc.

Old 03-05-2010, 03:35 PM

6,202 posts, read 11,451,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRinSM View Post
apparently the guy who runs oxy has strong ties to LA so i can't imagine them moving while he is at the reins.
He's probably more likely to move everything out of Texas into L.A. I'm looking forward to that so I can be reunited with my family out West.

Old 03-05-2010, 07:41 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,755,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbunniii View Post
And I know for a fact (from a friend who is a hiring manager at one of their South Bay sites) that most of Northrop's new hiring is not being done in Southern California but rather in places like North Carolina.
Northrop Grumman current openings:

US Total: 2132
CA: 525
NC: 13

Old 03-05-2010, 10:07 PM

141 posts, read 196,257 times
Everyone seems to be moving to Washington DC. The new it place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles