Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2010, 11:39 AM

34 posts, read 106,188 times

Advertisements

I am going to fly into Ontario (from TX) for my brother's graduation from Med School, and would like to squeeze in a quick and dirty trip to LA. What I'd like to see: movie star stuff/tours, iconic locations, santa monica, etc.

The LA Times has posted 1, 2 and 3 day itineraries online. Am thinking I'd like to whirlwind through LA in 1 day itinerary, but I don't want to miss out on any gems or do things that are lame.

Here's a link to the LA Times itinerary. What's the local opinion on their recommendations?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2010, 11:54 AM

7,226 posts, read 22,197,011 times
seems decent enough, but that is a lot to see in one day. i would drop the bowl and the celebrity mansions though. if you drive through beverly hills you'll see enough mansions that it won't really matter which belongs to whom. and the bowl is cool, but it's not that exciting when empty. however, there is a lookout point off of mulholland just above the bowl which has amazing views of most of the city. if i were you, i would actually start my day in santa monica/venice and end up in hollywood so you can head up to griffith park and catch the sunset from the observatory. after sunset you can grab dinner at one of the little cafes/restaurants in los feliz. as for beverly hills and the sunset strip, i would only drive through, traffic should be slow enough where you can see enough from your car without needing to park and walk around.

Old 03-05-2010, 12:16 PM

736 posts, read 2,295,688 times
I agree with BRinSM...drop the Hollywood Bowl and the mansions. The rest of the LA Times one-day trip is plenty to keep you busy.

Old 03-05-2010, 04:26 PM

2,031 posts, read 3,225,245 times
I agree with skipping the celebrity homes. Often times they aren't really their homes anyway. They may have lived there at one point (or maybe not at all), but that doesn't mean they currently do. It's just a gimmick that the tour companies pull so that they can make money. I'm friends with a Hollywood actor (not going to name drop) and he has told me this.

Old 03-05-2010, 06:04 PM

20 posts, read 118,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CantWait2Leave View Post
I agree with skipping the celebrity homes. Often times they aren't really their homes anyway. They may have lived there at one point (or maybe not at all), but that doesn't mean they currently do. It's just a gimmick that the tour companies pull so that they can make money.
I live on one of the routes. These jokers go by every half an hour, amplified voice blaring away, so I have a good idea what they're up to. While it's true, we have a number of homes that qualify - it's a total ripoff. All we have left is two has-been celebrities that wouldn't make it past a velvet rope nowadays. In the past we've had some pretty big stars (at the time anyway), but they usually don't stay for long, they're almost never home and when they are they're not hanging around in the front yard with a bulls-eye on them. You might as well give tours of hotels - so and so stayed in this room once... I see stars all the time, but the tourists NEVER spot them unless they are doing the Captain Obvious, my-publicist-tipped-off-the-paparazzi-for-free-publicity-that-I'm-going-somewhere-very-public-and-pretending-like-I-don't-know. They usually dress way down - sunglasses, hat, ill-fitting clothes etc. - think unibomber. The tour guides do point out some real star's homes - apparently Sylvester Stallone just sits in his foyer and jumps out when anyone drives by - but, there's also jibberish, they point out random shops and restaurants, houses that no one famous has ever lived in, repeat lame gossip from the rumor mags. They also infuriatingly double park on major thoroughfares during rush hour and point out the obvious landmarks that anyone can find - this drives the locals crazy. What a waste of time and money.

Old 03-05-2010, 07:46 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,761,592 times
If possible, try to do any sightseeing on Sunday morning, the earlier the better. You will be able to get around a lot easier. The freeways and main roads won't be jammed. Just consider that especially if you want to see a lot of things for a short amount of time each.

Old 03-05-2010, 08:09 PM

1,963 posts, read 5,623,003 times
Forget Sunset Blvd./Sunset Strip. Unless it's a weekend night, it's fairly forgettable. It's too bad you can't go barhopping with your brother in Hollywood at night. If you're really into movies/studios you should look into the Warner Bros. backlot tour. It's a bit pricey, but much better than wandering around Burbank or schlepping off to Universal Studios theme park.

Old 03-05-2010, 11:12 PM

20 posts, read 118,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
If possible, try to do any sightseeing on Sunday morning, the earlier the better.
This is the best advice you can get. LA gets a pretty slow start on Sunday morning so you've got the roads to yourself until noon or later.

On the other stuff:

I'm going to sort of give some contrary advice on the Bowl. It's actually a very cool venue, if you're lucky enough that a favorite band happens to be playing when you're visiting, I can't think of a better place to be. Even in the cheap seats with a bottle of BYO booze & whatever else.

If you visit Santa Monica, the not too far away Venice Beach boardwalk is a must as well. Great people watching on most Sundays until nightfall. The drive on the PCH into Malibu is pretty hard to beat, but map it out first.

Hollywood star walk, most people enjoy that for one visit.

Skip the Sunset Strip completely. Even on the weekends, there's nothing left to see. Go to Hollywood or maybe downtown instead. Grab a free LA Weekly or check their website for music and club schedules.

The Los Angeles Chowhound forum is a great resource for food recommendations.

Old 03-12-2010, 03:53 PM

34 posts, read 106,188 times
Thank you all for your suggestions--home tour and hollywood bowl are out!

Based on your expert suggestions, I have cobbled together a tentative plan for my day tour. Can you tell me if this is doable for one day? Did I cram too much in?

1. Early AM, head to Santa Monica/Venice beach

2. Go to LA, check out hollywood walk of fame and grauman's chinese theater

3. Take WB Studio Tour

4. Go to griffith park observatory for sunset

5. Dinner in Los Feliz

Old 03-12-2010, 04:09 PM

7,226 posts, read 22,197,011 times
sounds like a fun but busy day. i'm not sure about the WB tour though, i've never been on it and don't know how long it takes. i have heard it's a bit pricey though ($40ish). i would rather hang out at the the grove/farmer's market for an hour or so, but that's just me. anyways, don't forget to drive through beverly hills and the sunset strip on your way from the beach to hollywood.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles