Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2010, 04:52 PM

493 posts, read 1,446,749 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
OK! My husband says: Nate & Al's.
Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2010, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Easy View Post
No idea, but I don't think that many of the delis mentioned in the replies (Langer's, Cantor's, etc) are kosher.
I always connected the two as synonymous, so I stand corrected.

But I'll settle for any good deli at this point.

Old 03-07-2010, 05:16 PM

Thanks for the detailed information and links, pbergen. I also read your posting on the other thread that you cited.

Now, I need to venture out and see for myself.

Old 03-07-2010, 06:16 PM

1,215 posts, read 2,958,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbergen View Post
would you say that the risk of eating deli meats is as significant as the risk of driving along curved, narrow freeways in LA?

because if so, then i'm in deep trouble. eating at jewish delis and driving along LA freeways just happen to be two of my biggest vices. i mean, i've done some crazy things over the years, but perhaps the most over-the-top and shocking to my friends was that time i went cruising down the 101 freeway with the steering wheel in one hand and a pastrami on rye in the other. just truly reckless behavior, i know.

i probably shouldn't mention anything else, though, lest my insurance company catches wind of this and jacks up my rates based on my high risk lifestyle.

(sorry, i couldn't resist. just messing with ya.)
This year I drove to LA twice. Last year zero. The year before that zero. I mostly stick to my home city (HB) and I avoid processed meat, microwaves, etc Anything to decrease my chances of dying. I know eventually we all die. I am just a very "Safe" person and I'm boring, I don't live life on the edge and I don't take chances.

Old 03-07-2010, 06:22 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,672,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie100 View Post
Children risk cancer by eating salami and ham, warns charity | Science | The Guardian

After reading that processed meats such as salami, ham etc have been proven to increase cancer I have never eaten a deli sandwich or any sandwich with processed meats ever again.

Some people don't care and will say "Well, anything can increase your chances of getting cancer; including using your cell etc" and others will say "I'd rather eat good food and enjoy life and take the risk" but I'm not one of them.

I would never eat deli again, processed meat is dangerous.
was that the question or did the OP ask about a good Jewish deli? I guess at my age, I had better start worrying, I have been eating processed lunch meat for more than 60 years...

Nita

Old 03-07-2010, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
was that the question or did the OP ask about a good Jewish deli? I guess at my age, I had better start worrying, I have been eating processed lunch meat for more than 60 years...

Nita

Well, you SHOULD worry because it probably increased your chances of getting colon cancer SIGNIFICANTLY.

Old 03-07-2010, 07:12 PM

Yes, the original question was about delis, but someone derailed the thread with unwanted health advice. I know that certain foods aren't healthy and I assume the risk when eating them.

I'd like to see some scientific evidence of any link between processed foods and colorectal cancer. My mother swore that my father's colon cancer was due to all of the lunchmeat that she packed for him for years. While that may have been a factor, the thing that ultimately killed him was not getting cancer screenings starting at age 50. By the time that the cancer was diagnosed, it was too late to save him. Unfortunately, people of my parents' generation were not into preventive healthcare measures.

Old 03-07-2010, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmlowman View Post
I'd like to see some scientific evidence of any link between processed foods and colorectal cancer.

You may have thought it was enough to upgrade your lunch meat from those old, thick bologna slices to healthier options like turkey and low-fat ham. But according to recent studies, this is so not so! The processed meats you are putting in your child’s lunch are a bigger health risk than once believed. The World Cancer Research found “convincing evidence” that children who ate processed meats—that is, smoked or cured meats like bacon, ham or salami had a greatly increased risk of colon cancer later in life. The researchers believe the preservatives used in processed meats are the culprit. The accumulation of these preservatives, like nitrites and nitrates, may produce cancer-causing substances in the body. The World Cancer Research Fund would like to see processed meats banned from children’s lunch boxes.

Lunch meat, kids and colon cancer

"
A study published in the journal Carcinogenesis concluded that consuming processed meat (e.g., bacon, pepperoni, and hot dogs) can increase the risk of developing colorectal polyps. (Cancer of the colon and rectum develops from polyps.)
When they compared polyp occurrence in people who consumed the most processed meat vs. people who consumed the least, the results were pretty convincing. People who consumed the most processed meat were twice as likely to develop polyps as those who consumed the least.
What's So Bad About Processed Meat?

The researchers attributed the increased risk of polyps to the presence of nitrates (NaNO3) and nitrites (NaNO2). Both are preservatives that allow processed meat to maintain its redness. They're why SPAM is pink instead of gray. Processed meat that isn't pink, like canned tuna and chicken, doesn't contain nitrates and nitrites"

Processed Meats and Colon Cancer - Processed Meats and Polyps

Scientists have speculated that the consumption of red and processed meats is linked to increased risk of colorectal cancer. The recent results of the European Prospective Investigation into Nutrition and Cancer (EPIC) confirmed that eating processed meat increases the risk of colorectal cancer. The findings of EPIC involve a half million people all over Europe and has looked at their eating/cooking habits.
Previous studies have linked high meat intake to colorectal cancer, but almost all of the studies put fresh meat and processed meats together in studies. In the EPIC study, it was clear that processed or preserved meat was linked to colon cancer. Red meat was not cleared of suspicion, however. Scientists at the National Cancer Institute warn the results are preliminary. More study is needed before any conclusions can be drawn.
This large European study found that if a person ate an average of 2 ounces of processed meat per day (equivalent of a jumbo hot dog) they had a 50% greater chance of developing colorectal cancer than those who ate no preserved meat.
Scientists are now looking at a carcinogenic chemical called N-nitroso compounds (NOCs) as the culprit in processed meats. NOCs are formed in processed meat from the nitrite preservatives that are added. A researcher at Eppley Institute for Research in Cancer at the University of Nebraska has found that the NOC levels in hot dog brands vary. The level varies in the same brand of hot dogs bought at different times, leading them to believe that the NOC level rises the longer it sits on the supermarket shelf. Further study will be done on how conditions during the manufacturing of processed meat can be changed to lower the levels of NOCs.
It would seem that until safer methods are used to preserve processed meat, it would be best to eat processed meats only occasionally. A healthier option would be to replace processed meat with more healthful meat replacements such as soy based substitutes for bacon, sausage or hot dogs.

Processed Meat and Cancer: Cancer Center: UI Health Topics

Old 03-07-2010, 07:53 PM

Thanks for posting that. I stand corrected.

Old 03-07-2010, 07:58 PM

30,907 posts, read 32,984,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmlowman View Post
I always connected the two as synonymous, so I stand corrected.

But I'll settle for any good deli at this point.
How funny, I too always think "kosher" when I think "good deli" and I'm not even Jewish. The two just seem to go together in my mind. "The best delis are kosher." I think Confucius may have said that...'k, just kidding.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles