Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-02-2007, 07:57 PM

1 posts, read 1,793 times

Advertisements

hello everyone:

i'm a late 20's male currently residing in nyc brooklyn. i'm coming back to the w.coast this month, i've decided that nyc is not the place i want to be long term. i've only lived here a few years and prior to that SF. i've lived my 20's in cities where there was public transporation, walkable restaurants, bars, etc. i'm very keen on that and comfortable with that type of interaction. however, the weather in nyc is killing me. i never really appreciated weather until moving out here. i've been wearing a coat for 6-7 months, then 2 weeks of decent spring, now disgusting muggy heat for the next 3 mths. and everytime i look at the google temperature, it says 70's and clear in LA! so yes, weather makes a HUGE difference.
i'm orignally from LA, but haven't been back for about 7-8 years. this may sound strange, but i feel like i don't know LA at all. how do people interact in LA? i guess to clarify, for example, SF/NYC, you go to a restaurant, then walk over to the bars, or cafes, whatever. but it's all walking, and interacting with your environment. how do ppl in LA do it? how do ppl meet in LA? i guess i'm kind of turned off at the fact that everything is so spread out, therefore i feel that it might make my world "smaller" if that makes any sense. anyway, some input from those currently living there would be great! thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2007, 08:33 PM

644 posts, read 3,317,508 times
to begin with, you won't be walking anywhere here. You'll be driving and usually stuck in traffic. But hey, the weather...

Old 06-03-2007, 01:37 PM

1,287 posts, read 5,017,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weatheredOUT View Post
I'm orignally from LA, but haven't been back for about 7-8 years. this may sound strange, but i feel like i don't know LA at all. how do people interact in LA? i guess to clarify, for example, SF/NYC, you go to a restaurant, then walk over to the bars, or cafes, whatever. but it's all walking, and interacting with your environment. how do ppl in LA do it?
People do the same thing in LA, the big difference is that you might have to drive to the neighborhood or destination (if you don't already live there) where you can have dinner, hop over to a bar afterwards for drinks, and then to a cafe for a little coffee to sober up all within walking vicinity. Neighborhoods that come to mind for this include: West Hollywood, Santa Monica, Beverly Hills, Hollywood, Manhattan Beach, Long Beach, Pasadena, and downtown LA.

The cool thing about LA and the experience of living there is that there are so many options to choose from to have a night on the town all with their own unique vibes and attitudes. Having dinner in Beverly Hills, followed by drinks in West Hollywood, and topping off the night clubbing in Hollywood is a part of the LA experience. You have to embrace it for what and how it is and enjoy the ride. If you try to replicate NY or SF life in LA you will become frustrated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles