Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2010, 01:32 PM

16,391 posts, read 30,917,838 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by drshang View Post
LA is not that much different from cost of living for a young couple compared to Chicago or San Diego, and much cheaper than NYC. There are lots of ways to spend your money here and a lot of personality types who move here have somewhat degernate personalities when it comes to spending, but at the end of the day you are going to pay about the same as Chicago and maybe a little more than San Diego.

It's difficult to say what it will be like in 5-10 years when you, perhaps, reach the age where you need good schools but housing prices in >500-1M neighborhoods continue to drop pretty much every month. Rental rates have also dropped significantly in the last 18 months.

One challenge will be for you and your GF to find the right place to live that fits your lifestyle/commuting patterns. That's a question that is impossible to answer until you get a job. I think, in general, the job market in LA will be worse than Chi or NYC, better than SD and Miami, but probably not a massive difference given you are in a niche field like Chemical Eng.

I mean whether or not you have enough money comes down to if your GF has one of those $50k lawyer salaries and carrying 200k in student debt, or she has one of those 150k lawyer salaries with 50k in student debt.
she'll be graduating from a top 10 law school with considerablly low debt.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2010, 01:36 PM

233 posts, read 743,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
you will get the same high cost of living in L.A. you will get in NYC. Sounds to me like staying in Miami or checking elsewhere might work better. On the other hand you might want to check around, both of you and see what is available..As for the market, nothing is particularly good job wise in Ca right now. that doesn't mean no one is hiring..Have you been to job fairs at the University, what are they showing?

Nita
The cost of living is much much higher in NYC than in LA. This coming from someone who has lived in both.

Old 03-08-2010, 02:11 PM

736 posts, read 2,294,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burgler09 View Post

With the above information in mind, it really comes down to what city you BOTH prefer (withn the context of avail. job opportunties in each of your chosen fields of course). You will BOTH find jobs...eventually wherever you decide to go.

Again, I don't think your girlfriend's lack of espanol is of ANY concern in Los Angeles.

I also happen to LIKE all of your chosen cities: Miami, LA, San Diego, NYC, and Chicago. I am also a warm weather person so I would personally drop NYC and Chicago. NOTE: I did live in NYC for a few years...but that is another story.

San Diego is a more laid back version of Los Angeles but also with much less variety and diversity. But the stress levels are MUCH LOWER in SD over LA.

I really like Miami but have never LIVED there but can see you do live there now so you already know what that is like.

Good luck.

Old 03-08-2010, 02:47 PM

1,369 posts, read 3,309,234 times
Quote:
I agree with the above post, the cost of living is more or less irrelevant then, assuming she gets a big law job (and not some government BS that pays crap, which some top 10 law grads go for). The only situation where it matters that much is NYC where salaries don't really scale up with the cost of living but in LA if you can't live on biglaw salary (even with 150k student debt or more) then you have big problems.

Old 03-08-2010, 04:07 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,330,688 times
From what I am reading you both should be fine. Years ago I had a friend that graduated #1 in his class from a top 10 school in his field. The company that recruted him asked where he wanted to work. His reply was where do you need me. The company representative looked at him with a funny grin and said, you graduated 1st in your class from a top 10 school, you get to choose. He chose Woodland Hills and has done very well for himself.

Cost of living will probably not be a factor out here for you. You can choose what city or area you want to live in. Once again, you have done well.

Old 03-09-2010, 05:19 PM

14 posts, read 35,139 times
Quote:
Just wondering how the job market is for a Chemical Engineer out there. I'm about to finish a Bachelors degree in Chem Engineering and my girlfriend will be finishing law school soon after.. our list is NYC, LA(not a fan), Miami, San Diego and Chicago. What's a decent amount of money to have a good living, we'd both be starting out so we'll probably be at typical base salaries.

I believe your choosen areas of study will open up diverse opportunities. Keep in mind that many in Ca end up working in industries unrealated to their degree.

Like many have said Ca has various industries but let's not fool ourselves here. Sales, service related industries, real estate, local government, etc have a strangle hold in a way. Your engineering degree could easilly land you a cushy job with a city, cities seem to be always looking for engineers, biologist, etc from my research in the past.

Having a B.A will allow you to nearly pick and choose jobs in ca. Many pre-requisties are just that, a B.A. degree.

A good amount of money.....Hmmm....It depends on what you're looking for. I dont know if you have a car note, etc. So, i digress, Based on the idea you're young like me, probably want stability-safety-a slight scene, etc. I'd say as a combo deal for you and your girl; On the low end 2650 modest rent, food, and utilities included only.

The variables are vast of course......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles