Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2010, 01:51 PM

137 posts, read 428,969 times

Advertisements

It looks like I can save a ton of money on my car rental if rather than dropping off at the airport we drop off at a remote location. (We're driving from San Francisco and flying out of LAX.) Does anyone have any inside info from a local on a convenient way to do this? Rental sites near a hotel that has shuttle service to LAX, near a train line with service to LAX, etc?

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2010, 02:20 PM

1,297 posts, read 3,098,960 times
try hertz.com. that's the cheapest i've found, even an airport location.

Old 03-08-2010, 02:42 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,729,143 times
Try Rental Car Discounts and Codes

Old 03-09-2010, 05:20 AM

5 posts, read 11,217 times
You can use any car hire comparison site like [url]www.carhiredetective.com[/url] to find the best prices from all the car hire companies like hertz, alamo, dollar etc

There is usually a fee for one way travel though, cos obviously the companies need to move cars around after that to make sure each outlet has their required number.

Just the perils of going one way I´m afraid!

Old 03-09-2010, 05:50 AM

If you have a friend that works for a huge corporation, ask them to search through his company's intranet for the rental car code (sort of like what I posted in post #3 above). Normally a minivan one week rental is pushing $500/week but using company codes it's like $275. Also, if the price is really low, there may be per mile charges. Make sure it is "unlimited miles".

Old 03-09-2010, 06:11 AM

10,624 posts, read 26,724,400 times
I know there's an Enterprise in Hollywood (plus probably a lot of other car rental places); if you were to drop off in that area you could then take the Red Line (subway) to Union Station, then get the Flyaway bus from there to LAX. It's an easy trip, assuming you don't have huge amounts of luggage.

Old 03-09-2010, 07:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by uptown_urbanist View Post
I know there's an Enterprise in Hollywood (plus probably a lot of other car rental places); if you were to drop off in that area you could then take the Red Line (subway) to Union Station, then get the Flyaway bus from there to LAX. It's an easy trip, assuming you don't have huge amounts of luggage.

Sounds like quite an extra hassle though. The difference in rental car price better be quite large. Otherwise, think about how much easier it is just to drop off the car at LAX (which is still sort of a hassle due to off site rentals there).

I wonder what would happen if the original poster made his reservation to drop the car off at a remote location, like Hollywood, where it might be a lot cheaper, and then, just drop it off at LAX anyway. Is there a loophole? Or, would the system come back and charge him what he should have paid had he reserved to drop it off at LAX in the first place? Probably. But, if he was willing to pay the higher rate to drop if off at LAX, maybe he should make the reservation to drop it off in Hollywood, get the lower rate, and drop it off at LAX anyway and if he is lucky (there's a loophole), he'd still pay the cheaper Hollywood drop off rate. Might be worth a try.

Old 03-09-2010, 01:44 PM

137 posts, read 428,969 times
Thanks Uptown...that's what I was looking for. I'll see how much cheaper it is to drop off in Hollywood. I'm saving a couple $100 by not picking up the car at SFO and having Hertz bring it to me at the hotel. Easy train ride from airport to hotel.

Old 03-13-2010, 09:57 AM

22 posts, read 52,131 times
FYI, got a full sized rental last week at LAX for $12.00/day from Priceline. Haven't had one that inexpensive in a long while.

Old 03-13-2010, 01:54 PM

125 posts, read 385,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WIFam7 View Post
FYI, got a full sized rental last week at LAX for $12.00/day from Priceline. Haven't had one that inexpensive in a long while.

$12? wow!

I'll have to check priceline when I fly into LAX next month.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles