Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2010, 09:33 AM

296 posts, read 734,518 times

Advertisements

Moving to La with no jobs but we would have money saved up?

Lets say I will have $5000 saved and no job and he will have money saved aswell...is this a good Idea or should I snap back into reality?

We both would start searching for jobs right away as soon as I arrive in La.our monthly limit would be around $1400-$1500 for a 2bedroom apartment do you think we would survive?

And also do you think we can find decent areas for $1400-$1500 a month?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2010, 10:37 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,726,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 90'sHip_Hop_Head View Post
Moving to La with no jobs but we would have money saved up?

Lets say I will have $5000 saved and no job and he will have money saved aswell...is this a good Idea or should I snap back into reality?

We both would start searching for jobs right away as soon as I arrive in La.our monthly limit would be around $1400-$1500 for a 2bedroom apartment do you think we would survive?

And also do you think we can find decent areas for $1400-$1500 a month?
obviously you heard it before and will hear it again, jobs in Los Angeles are very hard to find.. Yes, you can find an apartment in your price range that would be in a decent but not great area. Try someplace like Pasadena.

what kind of work will you being looking for?

Just one more thing, why do you want to relocate to So California? Is there something that is drawing you to the city?

Nita

Old 03-09-2010, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
obviously you heard it before and will hear it again, jobs in Los Angeles are very hard to find.. Yes, you can find an apartment in your price range that would be in a decent but not great area. Try someplace like Pasadena.

what kind of work will you being looking for?

Just one more thing, why do you want to relocate to So California? Is there something that is drawing you to the city?

Nita

I actually didn't know it was hard to find jobs in La...But ummmm I would be looking for any kind of job that will put money in my pocket im not picky.There is no specific reason we would like to live in Ca we dont want to be actors or anything we just want to live in Ca.

Do you think it is a bad decision overall Nita?I know $5000 is not much saved up but that's what I will have if not a little more.Im actually really nervous to be honest...Im 21 years old and if I did make the move with my friend it would be my first time out on my own and out of my fathers house plus I would be moving to a new coast.

Old 03-09-2010, 04:43 PM

14 posts, read 35,150 times
Quote:
I actually didn't know it was hard to find jobs in La...But ummmm I would be looking for any kind of job that will put money in my pocket im not picky.There is no specific reason we would like to live in Ca we dont want to be actors or anything we just want to live in Ca.

Do you think it is a bad decision overall Nita?I know $5000 is not much saved up but that's what I will have if not a little more.Im actually really nervous to be honest...Im 21 years old and if I did make the move with my friend it would be my first time out on my own and out of my fathers house plus I would be moving to a new coast.

Many have done it and many have run back run with their tail between their legs. Most come with the intentions of doing entertainment work before reality, impatience, and or money runs dry.

5k is a nice nest egg if you have a established job, however, the money will run dry within 5 months. I'm 25 and i'd recommend you research industries within the state and also apply-schedule interviews in Ca before your arrival.

I'd also recommend you have your priorities straight in term of the type of work you want to do and what it takes to get there. I have a ton of college/univ credits, but i dont have a degree.

Although, i work in middle management for a company making decent survivable money 35hrs a week via attrition and hard work. So, finding a company that promotes within is good, such as, UPS, FED-EX, police department, etc etc.

Also, dont fear living in a "less than" area, i mean you dont want to go to south la, east la, etc. But cities like long beach, pasadena, cerritos, lakewood, etc, have affordable rents with diverse populations and are well policed.

Old 03-09-2010, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kreator562 View Post
Many have done it and many have run back run with their tail between their legs. Most come with the intentions of doing entertainment work before reality, impatience, and or money runs dry.

5k is a nice nest egg if you have a established job, however, the money will run dry within 5 months. I'm 25 and i'd recommend you research industries within the state and also apply-schedule interviews in Ca before your arrival.

I'd also recommend you have your priorities straight in term of the type of work you want to do and what it takes to get there. I have a ton of college/univ credits, but i dont have a degree.

Although, i work in middle management for a company making decent survivable money 35hrs a week via attrition and hard work. So, finding a company that promotes within is good, such as, UPS, FED-EX, police department, etc etc.

Also, dont fear living in a "less than" area, i mean you dont want to go to south la, east la, etc. But cities like long beach, pasadena, cerritos, lakewood, etc, have affordable rents with diverse populations and are well policed.

Thanks you for the good advice I really appreciate it.I also have college credits but no degree...It is very stupid and not wise to move to La in a recession(even though I heard it was easing up in La) and not having a stable job at that at the moment of arrival.Were you born in Ca or did you move from another state to Ca?

Old 03-09-2010, 06:07 PM

14 posts, read 35,150 times
Quote:
Thanks you for the good advice I really appreciate it.I also have college credits but no degree...It is very stupid and not wise to move to La in a recession(even though I heard it was easing up in La) and not having a stable job at that at the moment of arrival.Were you born in Ca or did you move from another state to Ca?
Ca native here but i have lived in other states briefly. On the bright side, ca does have a GREAT community college/state university system if you decide to continue your studies at a later time.

Yes, ca is going through a transition period. Our state still has more cuts to make! We have a large budget deficit, there will be reprecussions trickling down to different sectors of the economy in the coming months unless concessions are made.

It's a tough economic climate! I'm not saying its impossible to forge your way, but it is prudent to prioritize and be patient. Do your research and get as many pre-emptive jabs in as you can in regard to employment submissions.

Put those applications in early so if you do arrive you might have a call from a buisness sooner than later. As noted before your savings will be burnt through fast if you dont plan ahead, time flies by rapidly, you'll be 2-months deep before you know it. The savings is nice but you'll be throwing your money away without research, knowing people, and having a overall firm footing and or idea of what you're doing when you touchdown.

keyword: NETWORK with those in your situation, you already have one buddy that might share your experience in ca, so that'll lessen the blow if things dont go as expected. Hell, pack rat it if you have to with an additional 1-2 guys paying their share of the rent/utilities.

Old 03-09-2010, 07:35 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,726,020 times
Quote:
Easing up, that depends on what you call easing up? yes, it has dumped about as far as it can, so things have to get better. If it were me, I would think of someplace else to spread my wings..

I don't think stupid is the right word, I just think there are other places to break away that are a little less expensive and a little more stable right now.
You do need to decide just what kind of job you are interested in. There are a few types that can still be found, but for every joba there can be as many as 100 or more applicants, even in the restaurant businesss.

Nita

Old 03-09-2010, 08:04 PM

16,391 posts, read 30,928,953 times
Why not spend your money and get a degree? Might sound boring now.. but it will make the whole rest of your life a lot easier

Old 03-09-2010, 10:25 PM

364 posts, read 991,228 times
Don't do it Hip Hop Head. LA has 1) No Jobs and 2) Its extremely overpriced. I'm here because I was born and raised here but I'm thinking about leaving just because I'm tired of this expensive place. There are better places in the US to live; and it won't cost you an arm and a leg (I hate using clichés but it works in this case).

Don't believe the rhetoric that it's easing up in L.A. All that means is that companies aren't laying off as much as they used to. However, companies in L.A. are still reluctant to hire nowadays (source: Aunt works for an employment agency).

Old 03-10-2010, 09:17 AM

It could be the biggest mistake I ever made in my life or one of the greatest things I've ever done in my life.I think sometimes that life is so short and why not take a chance but this might be the wrong move to make.Thank you for the advice everybody im going to choose to stay here and get a degree then make major decisions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles