Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-09-2010, 10:50 AM

2 posts, read 18,325 times

Advertisements

Hello all,

I was wondering if anyone could give me advice on commuting from Santa Monica to Hollywood from 6pm (Santa Monica to Hollywood), and 7am (Hollywood back to Santa Monica). I would be working 7pm to 7am shifts. How long would my commute be and what are the best routes to take? Any advice would be helpful. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2010, 11:07 AM

7,226 posts, read 22,187,529 times
the evening commute to hollywood would be very slow, probably about an hour. i took the hollywood bowl shuttle after work from the SM DMV a few months ago and it took over an hour using the 10 and la brea. at 7am the next morning, it should be better, probably 30 minutes or so depending on what part of hollywood and santa monica you'll be traveling between.

Old 03-09-2010, 11:09 AM

355 posts, read 1,478,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bostongirl86 View Post
Hello all,

I was wondering if anyone could give me advice on commuting from Santa Monica to Hollywood from 6pm (Santa Monica to Hollywood), and 7am (Hollywood back to Santa Monica). I would be working 7pm to 7am shifts. How long would my commute be and what are the best routes to take? Any advice would be helpful. Thanks!
Wow, that's a long shift. I think you'll be hitting some extremely bad traffic, particularly at night heading from SaMo to Hollywood. Whereabouts are your two points in SaMo and Hollywood - it makes a HUGE difference.

I used to drive the Santa Monica heading east home commute, and it was very frustrating. I tried Pico, Olympic, the 10, Santa Monica, and Wilshire, and they were all very lousy. If you are further north I would recommend you try Sunset. Further south, well, it's just all bad. It really depends on where exactly in Hollywood you are headed, because I would probably just bite the bullet and try to take the most direct route.

Old 03-09-2010, 11:13 AM

7,226 posts, read 22,187,529 times
sunset is no better. i've been stuck in traffic on sunset near UCLA and it barely crawls in that area.

Old 03-09-2010, 02:42 PM

355 posts, read 1,478,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRinSM View Post
sunset is no better. i've been stuck in traffic on sunset near UCLA and it barely crawls in that area.
Yeah I'm sure she's basically hosed either way.

Old 03-09-2010, 05:08 PM

20 posts, read 118,503 times
Sunset shouldn't be considered a viable corridor for a cross town commute at the moment, if ever. Sunset is undergoing a resurfacing in West Hollywood: Sunset Strip Beautification Project (http://www.weho.org/index.cfm/fuseaction/DetailGroup/navid/455/cid/5553/ - broken link)

I've been out on Sunset during the rush hour(s) and I've been able to beat the car traffic while on foot. I've seen some commuters in their cars on the verge of weeping or some other emotional breaking point. Sitting in traffic before and after a long day/night at work is only for a very special kind of person.

7pm to 7am AND a couple hours of driving??? I would rather live in a cardboard box. But I realize that's just me. Good luck!!!

Old 03-09-2010, 06:20 PM

1,963 posts, read 5,619,937 times
6pm traffic to Hollywood from the Westside is going to be a ******! I occasionally meet friends for dinner out and it takes over an hour minimum, sometimes over 1 1/2 if there's an accident. Good luck!

Old 03-11-2010, 09:52 PM

2 posts, read 18,325 times
haha, thanks for all of the words of encouragement! well, i will be going to hollywood presbyterian medical center if that helps any. and yes, it is a VERY long shift..but i'm a nurse..so i only work 3 days a week =P. do you think i should try living a little closer to hollywood if the commute is so bad?

Old 03-18-2010, 10:48 PM

2,883 posts, read 5,888,756 times
I drove from downtown la (wilshire and vermont) to sm at 4:30 pm to 5 (or a little later) the last few years.

I liked olympic, its got these long stretches to west la with little traffic (compared to sunset, hollywood blvd or wilshire at rush hour). Around the miracle mile area, la brea, its fairly light.

I would never dream of taking sunset. Once you get to beverly hills/century city, olympic gets more congested.

All the streets north of sm blvd are worst after 6 than the ones south of there (probably as a rule).

Old 03-18-2010, 11:13 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,589,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bostongirl86 View Post
haha, thanks for all of the words of encouragement! well, i will be going to hollywood presbyterian medical center if that helps any. and yes, it is a VERY long shift..but i'm a nurse..so i only work 3 days a week =P. do you think i should try living a little closer to hollywood if the commute is so bad?
Yes. If you can afford Santa Monica you should be able to afford Los Feliz, the nicest neighborhood within LA city limits, which is very convienient to Hollywood Presbyterian. Might want to check out Silver Lake, Hancock Park, or parts of Hollywood itself, too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles