Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-09-2010, 11:43 PM

10 posts, read 57,913 times

Advertisements

I am moving to LA this fall from Arlington, VA and am contemplating which area to move to. I know that it will most likely depend on the location of my job, but I was wondering about the safety of Long Beach/Santa Monica and Venice Beach. I visited Santa Monica and Venice last summer and felt completely safe when I was there during the day- but I heard they feel a little different at night. Is there much of a difference in crime/safety between Santa Monica and Venice? How does the crime rate in Long Beach compare to Venice/Santa Monica.
Any feedback would be much appreciated. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2010, 12:00 AM

7,226 posts, read 22,097,607 times
santa monica is mostly safe except for a small area near the college, which still is not that bad. venice is hit or miss. odds are nothing would happen to you in venice, but there still are gangs in the area, drug dealers on the corners late at night, and petty theft is very common. long beach is a very big city and has some very safe areas and some others that are not safe at all.

Old 03-10-2010, 03:44 PM

736 posts, read 2,285,725 times
I think BrinSM sums it up very well. For the most part, Santa Monica is VERY, VERY safe. Hard to think of a safer area in "urban" LA County.

Venice is more hit or miss but if you research it and find the right neighborhood it is safe.

Old 03-10-2010, 04:46 PM

5,113 posts, read 19,684,849 times
SM seems safe, but also has a large number of homeless, which I'm not fond of strolling around with at night. Venice I'd avoid altogether. LB is fine in coastal areas and suburban parts, but there are areas you'll want to avoid altogether there as well.

Old 03-11-2010, 11:12 AM

122 posts, read 536,907 times
Echoing the same sentiment. Santa Monica is definitely safe, Venice has its fair share of sketch. Long Beach has some great areas and not so great areas- like Belmont Shores, Naples are really nice/ there are also some nice refurbished art deco apartments close to downtown, which a couple of my friends used to live in/ def. a nice scene.

Old 03-21-2010, 08:39 AM

1 posts, read 9,286 times
Default long beach

Hey does anyone know where I can find cheap aparments in Long Beach or a sight i could browse? Thanks guys

Old 03-21-2010, 09:49 AM

916 posts, read 3,685,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lwyman02 View Post
Hey does anyone know where I can find cheap aparments in Long Beach or a sight i could browse? Thanks guys
Gazettes Town-News > Front

Old 03-22-2010, 02:15 PM

97 posts, read 259,430 times
I lived in Long Beach and at that time it was the cheapest beach city however, it is not safe. I often stayed indoors at night b/c there's a high gang element wandering the streets. Parts of LB are VERY nice and accomodating but I couldn't raise my kids there.

Old 03-22-2010, 03:58 PM

4 posts, read 16,033 times
Santa Monica is a lot safer than the other two. My coworker lives there and loves it, but it's a little too urban for me (homeless people, etc).

Long Beach to me is very iffy, I couldn't live there. I don't feel safe there at night. I also live in Thousand Oaks, so I'm used to being able to walk wherever at night with no fear.

My wife has conference down in LB about twice a year so we stay there a few days at a time.

Old 03-22-2010, 05:17 PM

916 posts, read 3,685,587 times
Crime rankings for violent and property crimes

Long Beach - 7 and 6
Santa Monica - 7 and 7

Crime rankings per melissadata

Long Beach - 676
Santa Monica - 612

Not much of a difference. I would also point out that LB is a much larger city and the crime in LB is heavily concentrated in the western central and western far north areas. Living in the east half and coastal parts of LB is very very safe and a great place to raise a family.

Venice isn't ranked as it isn't it's own city (it's part of LA).

Last edited by Yac; 11-16-2020 at 07:12 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles