Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2011, 10:47 AM

987 posts, read 1,736,580 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinkle Toes View Post
Wow! I didn't read all the posts, but seeing these old names brings back a LOT of memories! I was hangin' at most of these places back in the 80's and of course, was a diehard KROQ listener. Anybody remember The Odyssey?
West Hollywood on Beverly Blvd/they played alot of New Wave, on Mondays & Fridays, I think even celebs went there during the 70's (my older brother claims to have seen Laverne & Shirley there???)....
He was the 70's generation when they played alot of disco & I was grateful to experience the 80s new wave...ahh the good ole days
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2011, 10:48 AM

15,639 posts, read 40,914,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by agnt.starling View Post
West Hollywood on Beverly Blvd/they played alot of New Wave, on Mondays & Fridays, I think even celebs went there during the 70's (my older brother claims to have seen Laverne & Shirley there???)....
I still have my ticket stub from a Cee Farrow show!

Old 01-25-2011, 10:53 AM

987 posts, read 1,736,580 times
Twinkles Toes, thats so awesome, I regret not saving any of my ticket stubs, club flyers, I do remember my gf loved Cee Farrow, she might have her stubs/flyers........remember it on vinyl....

Old 12-06-2011, 11:47 AM

2 posts, read 4,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DontH8Me View Post
I remember Fashions night club on the Redondo Beach Pier back when I was in HS. I seem to remember them advertising on KROQ about a Fashions in Upland, but I never saw that one. I believe Richard Blade even DJ-ed there back in the 80s.

I was the DJ at Fashions on the Redondo Beach Pier.

Old 12-06-2011, 11:48 AM

2 posts, read 4,693 times
Odyssey

Old 07-30-2012, 11:48 PM

1 posts, read 2,237 times
Default Extinct Clubs I Miss

Some places we used to go:

The Music Machine -- on Pico, so many good shows. The Cult, James White & The Blacks, 100 Flowers, Fear, maybe Minutemen and Red Hot Chili Peppers. So long ago. Radion, across the street for food! New Year's Eve 1983?

The Starwood -- so long ago, it's like a dream. Rodney spinning records. Wall of Voodoo, the Mau Maus, Human Hands, Black Flag, Geza X. Just fun to be there. Drink your Schitz malt liquor in the parking lot.

The Plant -- obscure club on Ventura Blvd. in the Valley, at Whitsett. Summer 1983. Red Hot Chili Peppers, maybe their third show. And the Minutemen, together with RHCP, Halloween 1993. The Joneses, Tex and the Horseheads. Small as your garage. No, smaller.

The Whiskey -- the old Whiskey, before it closed in '82. Great nights there, like the time in March '81 when Jello jumped on my head from the stage during a DK show. Nice guy.

Wong's West -- I didn't like it, but at least it was there when you didn't want to shlep to Hollywood.

Al's Bar -- ran its course, but fun while it lasted. Cute bartenders. Too much downtown attitude for me, sometimes.

Club Lingerie -- Good shows, a basic club. Lots of RHCP, mid-80s solid joint.

Lhasa Club -- on Hudson off of SMB. No alcohol, but we didn't seem to mind. Artsy shows.

Scream -- at that place on Highland, whatever it was called. Oh, to be young, cute and drunk on a Monday night in the 80s.

Variety Arts -- four floors of fun, late 80s. I saw the Replacements there once. Get there before 11 for the $1 beer!

The Embassy -- it's torn down now...hellava sleazy joint, drug central. Was katty-corner from Variety Arts.

Anti-Club -- before the witch Helen took over in '86. Cheap beer, cheap shows, and cheap....

The Palace -- now called the Avalon, right? Cool in the mid-80s, big shows there...Gang of Four, the Pogues, etc. Large but not oppressive.

Perkin's Palace -- even bigger shows, The Cure OMD, Nick Cave, etc. And The Jam in '81! I loved that place. Worth the drive to Pasadena.

The Palladium -- still there, of course, but it's not the same. Too polished now. Were you there for The Smiths in '85? I was. And the Clash in '82. And I even took the bar exam there. Really, I did.

Florentine Gardens -- coupla nights there...New Order, The Professionals, I can't remember what else. Lotsa teens, bright 80s colors.

Stardust Ballroom -- torn down now, it was on Sunset, right? Near Western? Many nights there. Summer of '84. Bands like The Cambridge Apostles, Kommunity FK, that sort of thing. I wish I could remember more.

Cathay de Grande -- lotsa nights there. Gun Club, Kommunity FK, etc. What's not to like? I don't know why it's not a club now...the location is perfect. There was a New Romantic club there in early '81...can't remember the name....

Seven Seas -- known as the Seven Sleaze -- Hollywood Blvd. -- the place to pick up teen-age girls. Not that I did that sort of thing.

That's all I can remember right now.....

Old 02-18-2015, 12:47 PM

24 posts, read 70,478 times
Anyone know if Trip is the same club as the one from the 60s?

Old 02-18-2015, 12:48 PM

24 posts, read 70,478 times
Sin-A-Matic

Old 02-18-2015, 03:10 PM

12,823 posts, read 24,279,764 times
Perkins Palace was turned into condos.

Old 04-28-2015, 04:08 AM

1 posts, read 1,583 times
Hey drunk on kool aid,
It’s cool to see people remembering the Impala Cafe, I'm one of the former owners. I worked at Troy before the Impala took its spot. They just demolished the building to make way for public transportation. Was a great spot, Atomic Café, Troy then the Impala. In that order.

-Pete
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles