Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-11-2010, 01:46 AM
kyc kyc started this thread

3 posts, read 22,892 times

Advertisements

We're relocating to SoCal from the bay area this summer when my husband begins a two-year residency program at Cedars Sinai Med. Center. We have two small children (3 & 4 yr. old) & a dog & are trying to decide on where to rent a house/apartment. We'd love to live in a family friendly area with good kids programs (rec. dept, library...etc) & parks. The challenge is that we have a very limited budget (< $2000) and my husband will have long work days (12-14Hr. and often overnight shifts). Therefore safety and commuting time would be our greatest concern. In addition, my parents (= support!) live in Palos Verdes and we definitely like to be somewhere in between (at least not farther away). We're comparing areas right around hospital, Santa Monica, and down towards Westchester/El Segundo/Redondo Beach area. Although we'd love to have a small yard, it seems like with our buget that it's almost impossible. What's our best bet? Thanks for your advice!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2010, 09:07 AM

132 posts, read 364,443 times
Park La Brea is a gated community close to Cedars Sinai (you could even walk if you like a 30 min or so walk), and has townhouse apartments within your price range. You wouldn't have a private yard but there would be green space (enclosed by the other units) where your kids could get outside. It's a quiet place, with a diversity of residents (lots of folks with kids but lots without them too.) It's between Fairfax, Third, Hauser (approx.) and Sixth. Fairfax branch of the library is close, schools are close, not sure about recreational programs although there is a bit of kid activity stuff within Park La Brea itself (not a lot, but I have seen some stuff advertised.) It's not fancy units, but they are functional and well-maintained.

Old 03-12-2010, 01:20 AM

Thanks for the info! Just checked out Park La Brea's website. Definitely a possibility we'll check out! Being so close to Cedars would be a plus. Just not quite sure about living in the highrises/big complex though. Are the nearby parks safe? Housing in the surrounding areas?

Old 03-12-2010, 10:36 AM

1,273 posts, read 4,418,319 times
If your in a residency/fellowship program you'll want to be very close to the hospital.

Old 03-12-2010, 10:50 AM

355 posts, read 1,479,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyc View Post
Thanks for the info! Just checked out Park La Brea's website. Definitely a possibility we'll check out! Being so close to Cedars would be a plus. Just not quite sure about living in the highrises/big complex though. Are the nearby parks safe? Housing in the surrounding areas?
Nearby parks (except for Pan Pacific Park, across from the Grove and very near Park La Brea) and the grounds of Park La Brea are pretty safe. Plus you're right in the heart of museum row/Miracle Mile. Pan Pacific Park still has a lot of homeless and "shady people" hanging about, despite efforts to clean it up.

I was going to say that for around $2K a month very near Cedars would be impossible to find more than 2 bedrooms, let alone something with a yard which will cost you more. There are some cheaper areas near enough to it, but many neighborhoods around there are MUCH more expensive. I thought Park La Brea was starting around $3K for 3 bedrooms. The cheaper areas will be so for a reason, however. $2K really isn't much for rent nowadays in desirable areas, despite the dip in occupancy and the accompanying drop in rent rolls/prices. 1 bedrooms were $1,500 and up in good areas during the peak, now they are around $1,000 to $1,200 and up. 2 bedrooms/1 or 2 bath were $2,000 on the low end and usually $2,500 and up for good quality ones in good areas, now they are around $2,000 and up for good quality in good areas.

Old 03-12-2010, 11:11 AM

7,226 posts, read 22,190,547 times
my brother lives about a half mile from the hospital in a 5 story building and he pays $1600 for a 2br apartment and it's a decent unit. You may be able to find a 3br in an older building for around $2000, but it will be tough as not that many exist to begin with. you certainly won't be able to find a detached house for less than $2000 in a decent area, even in the south bay communities you mentioned. you really need to pick wisely though as your little ones will be reaching school age very soon. some friends of mine used to rent in culver city in a little (maybe 900sf) house with a yard and they paid $2500 i believe.

have you considered living with your folks for a bit to save up some money?

Old 03-16-2010, 02:10 AM

Thanks for all the helpful info so far! Wow. Living with my folks would definitely help on the money side of things...however the commute to PV just wouldn't work for hubby, him being a resident and taking home calls every other night.

Heart of Museum Row/Miracle Mile? I'm guessing proximity to this area is solid? Are there well-known, specific street boundaries I should be aware of/avoid in terms of safety? Like areas near fwy 10? Also really trying to stay away from areas that are just not kid-friendly (I'm guessing lots of night clubs, bars nearby?) Thanks again.

Old 03-16-2010, 09:54 AM

7,226 posts, read 22,190,547 times
since you have kids, i would stay north of olympic and west of rossmore. i wouldn't be too worried about the night clubs as they are all on the main thoroughfares. residential areas are almost always tucked back in behind these streets.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles