U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2010, 11:47 AM

16 posts, read 40,006 times

Advertisements

Appreciate all the info. I saw some decent complexes but they are all west of the 101. Kind of reminds me of Bucktown/Wicker Park in the NW side of Chicago in the 1990s...very gang infested and now they are top notch areas.

Seems like East Hollywood is heading that direction. I suppose I could take a large studio in a better neighborhood, then when I make more money, move up to a 1 bedroom. I might take JohneQuest's advice since I don't plan to be at home much other than to sleep.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2010, 12:53 PM

1,200 posts, read 3,453,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Island_OnThe_Land View Post
I don't want to be sensational but the corner of Western and Hollywood was the site of a nortorious gang shooting from a local fleabag apartment complex, circa 1992. See the link.

Gang Suspects Shoot at Autos From Rooftop : Violence: Bullets fired from Hollywood apartment wound two motorists, one critically. Police are hampered because fearful tenants are unwilling to help. - Los Angeles Times

That said, this was NEARLY 20 years ago when GANG VIOLENCE was FAR MORE widespread and troublesome ACROSS THE ENTIRE CITY. There has also been a lot revitalization in that specific area along with greater efforts by the LAPD to clean up that intersection.
Let's not forget that in 1992, Koreatown was also a no-go zone as it burned in the riots. Now, it's one of LA's most popular neighborhoods for food and nightlife.

Old 03-15-2010, 01:52 PM

10,629 posts, read 25,448,566 times
I only know Hollywood and Western post-Red Line, and hadn't heard that bit of notorious history. In the mid-2000s I saw our bit of the Yucca Corridor gentrify in the 1 1/2 years we lived there -- and that was after it had already vastly changed from what it was like in the 90s. I think East Hollywood has a lot of potential and has some decent buildings, but it's definitely still in the transitioning phase. There does seem to be a lot of attention being paid to it from the city and from LAPD, though, and I saw on Garcetti's website that they're planning some new streetscaping on some East Hollywood stretches of Hollywood Blvd and Western.

Old 03-15-2010, 06:24 PM

736 posts, read 2,175,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matt345 View Post
Let's not forget that in 1992, Koreatown was also a no-go zone as it burned in the riots. Now, it's one of LA's most popular neighborhoods for food and nightlife.

It's true that Koreatown has made a huge turnaround....as has CENTRAL Hollywood (i.e., the area West of the 101).

However, the degree of change has been MUCH less pronounced in East Hollywood near Hollywood and Western. The "new" housing developments at the intersection of Hollywood and Western, I BELIEVE are all reserved as low-to-moderate income housing. I know the housing above the Ralph's is for low-to-moderate income seniors.

Nothing wrong with providing housing for these groups but it highlights the fact that the neighbohrood is not quite RIPE for new, market rate development. By contrast, both K-Town and CENTRAL Hollywood have seen multiple market rate housing developments in recent years. Much more private investment into those two areas, as compared to the Hollywood and Western area.

Old 03-15-2010, 06:33 PM

1,200 posts, read 3,453,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Island_OnThe_Land View Post
By contrast, both K-Town and CENTRAL Hollywood have seen multiple market rate housing developments in recent years. Much more private investment into those two areas, as compared to the Hollywood and Western area.
Oh I agree. I'd pick central Hollywood or K-Town in an instant over East Hollywood. I haven't been to LA for a few months now so I missed the opening of the W Hotel. How's that looking? Hollywood Blvd between Vine and La Brea is quickly becoming LA's own version of Vegas.

Old 03-15-2010, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snoygft View Post
Appreciate all the info. I saw some decent complexes but they are all west of the 101. Kind of reminds me of Bucktown/Wicker Park in the NW side of Chicago in the 1990s...very gang infested and now they are top notch areas.

Seems like East Hollywood is heading that direction. I suppose I could take a large studio in a better neighborhood, then when I make more money, move up to a 1 bedroom. I might take JohneQuest's advice since I don't plan to be at home much other than to sleep.

I think you make a good point. I personally like "pioneering" neighborhoods but USUALLY within the context of my HOMETOWN (LA) b/c I already know where the good and not so good areas are.

Relocating from another city like you are, I might prefer living at first in a more established area (like Hollywood, West of the 101). After I got to know the city, I might feel more adventurous. And let's face it CENTRAL Hollywood (area just west of the 101) is plenty adventurous as compared to a more suburban point of view.

Also, I agree with the previous post which noted that while the area around Hollywood and Western is "walkable" it is NOT nearly as appealing an area to walk as CENTRAL Hollywood.

If you are single and YOUR NEIGHBORHOOD is important to you, I do think you might be disappointed by Hollywood and Western. At a minimum, I would NOT sign a lease before visiting the area at night so you get a feel for it.

Old 03-15-2010, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt345 View Post
Oh I agree. I'd pick central Hollywood or K-Town in an instant over East Hollywood. I haven't been to LA for a few months now so I missed the opening of the W Hotel. How's that looking? Hollywood Blvd between Vine and La Brea is quickly becoming LA's own version of Vegas.

Yes, I agree central Hollywood and K-Town over east Hollywood.

It really is amazing how that area is shaping up. Have only driven by the W-Hotel. Have not heard it compared as LA's Vegas...interesting.

But I have heard it referred to as our "south beach". Well, until we stay open to 4am or 5am we still have some catching up to do but wow what a difference a decade makes!

Old 03-15-2010, 08:13 PM

16 posts, read 40,006 times
All good points, I truly appreciate it. The reason I like the location is because it's next to the 101 and easier access into the Valley--Sherman Oaks/Van Nuys). If I can find something comparable in price west of the 101 in Hollywood I will definitely take it over East Hollywood. I would be willing to go with a larger studio at first as opposed to a one bedroom, which should broaden my choices considerably.

Old 03-15-2010, 08:36 PM

10,629 posts, read 25,448,566 times
That makes sense. You should have a lot of options there, and you'll still have ready access to East Hollywood for shopping, restaurants, etc. We lived in central Hollywood (yucca corridor), and given the large number of buses going up and down Hollywood Blvd it was very easy to head east to go to the Ralphs, Out of the Closet, Thai or Armenian restaurants or markets, etc. (or just a little more east to go to Los Feliz). And of course Hollywood itself has tons of options of its own to keep you busy during your non-work hours.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles