Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2010, 04:25 PM

3,497 posts, read 6,449,128 times

Advertisements

Today I was on the Red Line and then transferred to the Gold Line as I wasn't aware you have to pay again when you transfer. The inspector gave me an infraction called 640b2. He told me to wait two weeks and then check the website lasuperiorcourt.org.

Do you know how much I would have to pay?

Also, will I have to appear in court or could I just pay the thing by mail?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2010, 04:36 PM

2,318 posts, read 7,817,682 times
That annoys me that you can't transfer trains with a one-way pass, nor can you purchase a transfer when taking Metro Rail. I imagine you just will pay it and not need to show up in court unless you wish to challenge it.

Old 03-15-2010, 04:37 PM

Another question:
The top of the citation says LA County Sherriff's Dept. The second line says Notice to Appear...MTA. Their website asks for which department, so should I pick LA County Sherriff's or MTA?

In your experiences, should I in fact wait 2 weeks and they try going to their site and typing the citation number? That's what the guy told me to do.

Old 03-15-2010, 04:49 PM

7,226 posts, read 22,110,685 times
i've received one of those as well. you can pay via the internet, but you'll get no more reminders, so make sure to check your citation number through the website. unfortunately, you can get fined up to $250. you can fight it, but you have to pay the fine either way. i received my citation for not having a ticket, but that was because there were no working TVMs at the station i boarded the train (go figure). i paid the fine and sent in my complaint in writing and received a refund.

also, i agree with lasam about the transfer rules. the TVMs aren't always easily accessible when changing lines and you can easily miss your transfer and have wait another 10+ minutes for the next train while attemtpting to buy another ticket.

Old 03-15-2010, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRinSM View Post
i've received one of those as well. you can pay via the internet, but you'll get no more reminders, so make sure to check your citation number through the website.
BRinSM, did you have to wait 2 weeks in order to get access to your citation on the site?

Old 03-15-2010, 04:59 PM

7,226 posts, read 22,110,685 times
i don't remember exactly how long it took, but i do remember it was some time before my citation number was recognized in the system. it may have been longer than 2 weeks.

Old 03-15-2010, 05:24 PM

1,213 posts, read 3,597,345 times
I have mixed feelings about LA's no transfer policy. On the one hand, transfers make the whole transit experience much more smooth and convenient and the policies are sometimes unclear, ie it seems like an unnecessary step to have to purchase another ticket when going from the Red to Blue line or Red to Purple Line.

But, Metro does have some of the most affordable fares you'll ever encounter in a major transit agency. $1.25 one way and only $5 for a day pass? SF's Muni is $2 one way with no day pass available (but they do issue transfers good for ~2-3 hours). When I know that I'm going to transfer at least once in LA, I usually just buy a day pass, which evens out anyway since one roundtrip transferring once each time is 4 rides. $1.25 x 4 rides = $5.

Old 03-15-2010, 07:03 PM

3,550 posts, read 6,465,702 times
I would give it some time, LA has a relatively young subway system compared to subway systems in world class cities like New York, Paris or London

Old 03-15-2010, 07:09 PM

10,012 posts, read 9,441,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpasa View Post
Today I was on the Red Line and then transferred to the Gold Line as I wasn't aware you have to pay again when you transfer. The inspector gave me an infraction called 640b2. He told me to wait two weeks and then check the website lasuperiorcourt.org.

Do you know how much I would have to pay?

Also, will I have to appear in court or could I just pay the thing by mail?

Here is the fee schedule:

http://www.lasuperiorcourt.org/bail/pdf/misd.pdf

Old 03-17-2010, 01:26 PM

2,179 posts, read 4,972,559 times
Just curious, what did the person who give you the ticket look like and how were they dressed? I have always wondered what they look like! I think that it is almost stupid how you have to buy a seperate ticket for a transfer. I just always buy the day pass so I don't have to wait for trains and go back to the kiosk 4x in a day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles