Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2010, 09:27 PM

3,118 posts, read 5,353,564 times

Advertisements

I'm from chicago and got laid off so was thinking of flying to LA for a week to see what it is like! The problem is I can't find a straight answer to where to live if you want to experience the LA lifestyle for young educated professionals. LIke for Chicago is easy. Lakeview or Lincoln Park. But I keep fining lots of responses for LA. I read about Manhattan Beach but its far from downtown but would seem cool being so close to the beach.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2010, 09:32 PM

5,587 posts, read 8,397,444 times
Oh geez, don't read AliveandWell's thread then! LOL, just kidding.

Sorry to hear you're laid-off, but now's a good time for a fresh start (do you have a job though?). When I was living out there, many young transplanted professionals were living in Hermosa Beach. Seemed like that was the place to be for the party scene, and the beach was right there for surfing.

Old 03-16-2010, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avalon08 View Post
Oh geez, don't read AliveandWell's thread then! LOL, just kidding.

Sorry to hear you're laid-off, but now's a good time for a fresh start (do you have a job though?). When I was living out there, many young transplanted professionals were living in Hermosa Beach. Seemed like that was the place to be for the party scene, and the beach was right there for surfing.
I plan on staying in Chicago which is why I am only going for a week. Might as well make use of my time.

Theres a hostel there that looks good to

Old 03-16-2010, 10:00 PM

245 posts, read 712,171 times
I'm a huge fan of West Hollywood. It's walking distance to the Sunset Strip so no taxi fare or DUI. It's close to a lot of good places to visit. To me, it's what you think of when you think of LA lifestyle. You can even google image it and you'll see what I mean. It's pretty expensive though, but that usually goes along with great location. Too bad it's 10-15 miles from the beach. Depends on what scene you're looking for I guess.

Old 03-17-2010, 12:48 AM

1,963 posts, read 5,619,501 times
The main problem (or advantage) with LA is that it's so spread out that you can find young professionals in a myriad of neighborhoods from Santa Monica out to Pasadena and beyond. If you're going as a tourist my suggestion is stay in Hollywood and soak up the vibrant bar/lounge/club scene.

Old 03-17-2010, 03:17 AM

1,016 posts, read 1,936,713 times
West Hollywood, Studio City, Hollywood Hills, Sherman Oaks, Santa Monica..........Hip, Young, Fun, Professional's true LA LA Land Lifestyle

Old 03-17-2010, 09:41 AM

So from reading im thinking of Santa Monica or West Hollywood. It seems like being close to the beach would be cool at Santa Monica. But theres are still too many choices.
Is there any distinguishable differences between the people and locations that might help me. I am kind of a normal midwest guy. Into sports bars and less of the club scene, athough i'm not opposed to it. I just prefer the people that hang in sports bars. Like the type in Wrigleyville chicago.

Old 03-17-2010, 10:31 AM

736 posts, read 2,294,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jman07 View Post
So from reading im thinking of Santa Monica or West Hollywood. It seems like being close to the beach would be cool at Santa Monica. But theres are still too many choices.
Is there any distinguishable differences between the people and locations that might help me. I am kind of a normal midwest guy. Into sports bars and less of the club scene, athough i'm not opposed to it. I just prefer the people that hang in sports bars. Like the type in Wrigleyville chicago.

I think Santa Monica comes closer to "normal" and less of the club scene than in West Hollywood. You'll be here for a week so you can check out all different areas. My quick 2 cents:

If you've never been to LA get prepared....very spread out, car oriented.

1. Santa Monica: Beach plus a more "urban, walkable" feel than other parts of sprawling So.Calif. This might give you the closest feel to Chicago (with the exception of Downtown LA). Be sure to check out Venice Beach while you are here....Venice is LA's bohemian carnival-like neighborhood by the sea. Next to Santa Monica.

2. Manahattan/Hermosa/Redondo Beaches: The "South Bay" are nice, laid back beach communities. More isolated and hard to get to and a more "subruban" feel than say Santa Monica or Hollywood.

3. Hollywood/West Hollywood: Not adjacent to the beach but nestled beneath the Hollywood Hills which are very cool.
-West Hollywood is hip, entertainment industry oriented, lots of creative types. Good nightlife and cool neighbohroods. Also, the center of LA's gay community. Be sure to check the Sunset Strip which has many bars, nightclubs, and restaurants (mostly straight).
-Hollywood: Hollywood Blvd is one of the areas in LA you will see pedestrians walking the street. This will remind you a bit of Chicago given the areas more urban character. Lots of cool historic buildings and the area near Hollywood & Vine and Hollywood & Cahuenga has fast become LA's new nightlife hotspot. But more of the "club" scene as opposed so Sports bars, etc.

4. Downtown LA: Yes, we have a downtown here....no it does NOT dominate the region like Chicago's downtown. That said, Downtown LA has revitalized in the last 10 years to become a very hip, artistic area with great restored historic buildings and a dense urban feel. Lots of new bars, restaurants, and art galleries have made this one of LA coolest neighborhoods.

5. Miracle Mile/Fairfax District: Two of my favorite neighbhroods in all of Los Angeles. A very beautiful housing stock with many historic art deco and spanish/mediterranean buildings dating from the 1920's to the 1940's. Two classic LA neighborhoods. Also, home to the historic Farmer's Market and the LA County Museum of Art. Just south of Hollywood/West Hollywood.

Last edited by Island_OnThe_Land; 03-17-2010 at 10:39 AM..

Old 03-17-2010, 10:33 AM

7,226 posts, read 22,186,024 times
there are sports bar in LA, but it's not a sports bar type of city. however, you would probably like barnery's beanery, which is the most sports bar type of place i can think in LA that isn't a total dive or filled with all older people. there are multiple barney's, the original is in west hollywood with locations in santa monica and pasasdena as well. that probably doesn't help you at all, but at least you'll have an option no matter where stay.

Old 03-17-2010, 10:56 AM
hsw

2,144 posts, read 7,159,666 times
LA region per capita has far fewer (?60% less per capita) educated yuppies than Chic and isn't as centralized as Loop in terms of offices of yuppies

CA's yuppies are heavily concentrated in SiliconValley/SF, given where the world's major tech and financial (esp VCs) companies are HQ'd

Most major financial firms in LA have offices in CenturyCity or SantaMonica or Downtown LA, so the few yuppies (who often work NYC mkt hrs) reside in convenient BevHills or SantaMonica where there are more newer condos for rent...and easy commutes to offices and yuppie bars/dining

LA (like SF) is an early town w/limited late nt stuff as yuppies are more driven by NYC mkt hrs during wkdays....and actually have great yr-round weather/topography to enjoy outdoors during wkend daytime, unlike NYC or Chic
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles