U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-18-2010, 06:44 PM

2 posts, read 5,892 times

Advertisements

I work in Burbank and my fiance works in Irvine. My fiance's hours are from 6 to 2:30 so he misses the majority of traffic. We currently live in Studio City and the commute for him is way too much. We want to settle down and raise a family somewhere in between the two cities that is in a good neighborhood. I have been doing tons of research but I need help. ANY suggestions would be appreciated. Wherever we settle I'm assuming I'll be an hour in traffic each way. Please help!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2010, 06:51 PM

26,345 posts, read 85,352,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stephkazz View Post
I work in Burbank and my fiance works in Irvine. My fiance's hours are from 6 to 2:30 so he misses the majority of traffic. We currently live in Studio City and the commute for him is way too much. We want to settle down and raise a family somewhere in between the two cities that is in a good neighborhood. I have been doing tons of research but I need help. ANY suggestions would be appreciated. Wherever we settle I'm assuming I'll be an hour in traffic each way. Please help!!!!
When family time comes, do both of you expect to be working in the same cities?
Any efforts or prospects for either of you to get a job closer to the other?
Are you looking to rent or buy? Budget?
Could this be a two step process? Meaning, find a place to live that works for commuting purposes, then later, find another place that is a family neighborhood?

How much driving are you willing to do? It might be easier on him for you to live a little further east, maybe somewhere on the north side of the 57 or 605, but that will be tougher on you.

Need more information and there will have to be trade offs as this as it stands is quite challenging.

Old 03-18-2010, 07:05 PM

2 posts, read 5,892 times
Family time is probably in the next 3 years and yes we do expect to be working in the same cities. We both really like our jobs so as of now, it looks like we're stuck. We were looking to rent a house for perhaps a year and then buy...our budget is anywhere from $1500-$2000 a month.

Yes, it could definitely be a 2 step process. I'm willing to do an hour each way...and I know this is quite challenging which is why I am looking for help ....thank you for all your questions, hopefully my answers will inspire some more suggestions

Old 03-18-2010, 07:22 PM

1,964 posts, read 4,789,431 times
If you work normal 9~6 business hours, you're going to be facing more than an hour traffic each way if you live further south than say Norwalk (off the 5) or Gardena (off the 110). To be honest, I don't think you really want to face a long commute if you're a new mother. But that's in the future. Right now test the traffic waters by looking into the Signal Hill area or Bluff Heights area of Long Beach, or even Rossmoor-Los Alamitos if you don't mind driving even further. Good luck!

Old 03-18-2010, 07:57 PM

5,113 posts, read 17,910,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stephkazz View Post
Family time is probably in the next 3 years and yes we do expect to be working in the same cities. We both really like our jobs so as of now, it looks like we're stuck. We were looking to rent a house for perhaps a year and then buy...our budget is anywhere from $1500-$2000 a month.

Yes, it could definitely be a 2 step process. I'm willing to do an hour each way...and I know this is quite challenging which is why I am looking for help ....thank you for all your questions, hopefully my answers will inspire some more suggestions
Your rental budget doesn't fit a house for the most part. It fits a two bed apt(or maybe a 3 in a lesser area).

On the bright side, Metrolink can take you almost the entire way between the two, and at Union Station you can pick up the train to Burbank.

Anyways, inbetween the two, you're essentially looking at Western/Northwestern OC and Southeast LA county for good neighborhoods that you may want to raise a family in in the future. Cerritos, La Palma, Lakewood, Downey, Buena Park, Cypress, Fullerton, La Mirada, etc in relatively close proximity to the 5/605 junction that is more or less the midway point and the barrier between the not so nice parts of eastern LA county. Like I said, 2k probably won't put you in a house in those parts(at least in the better areas), but you can find a pretty nice apt or condo for rent.

Old 03-19-2010, 03:12 AM

9,722 posts, read 13,720,728 times
Unfortunately, you and your fiance appear to be "GI" or "geographically incompatible."

Someone is going to have to put up with a really bad commute and it appears that his hours are more conducive to accepting the "really bad commute."

You might try looking at downtown LA or Burbank (he'd be closer to the freeway to get to Irvine) or Alhambra/Monterey Park.

Old 03-19-2010, 06:32 AM

4,342 posts, read 9,135,709 times
Yes, I was going to suggest Alhambra..... 43 miles from Irvine which I believe is reasonable.

The drive to Burbank won't be that bad since most of the way on the 5 you will be going against traffic.

Glendale is also an option. 47 miles to Irvine, very close to Burbank.

If schools are not a factor, parts of Pasadena are really nice and South Pasadena is even nicer though your budget is pushing it.

The real problem for you is that the 5 fwy is jammed heading north in the morning and south in the evening, and the 605 hits large pockets of slowing. So if you live even as close as the Downey/Whittier area, its around an hour drive to Burbank at 730am. Whereas your husband misses the traffic due to his hours.

Old 06-25-2012, 07:34 PM

110 posts, read 204,214 times
i suggest the gateway cities. you will be in the middle of everything
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles