Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-18-2010, 07:06 PM

1 posts, read 2,121 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone! I just found this forum today and everyone seems to be really helpful! I'll be going to school at USC School of Dentistry in the fall. I need to find a reasonable place to stay that is in a safe neighborhood, but not too far of a commute. What areas would you suggest and what areas should I avoid? Also, how is the public transportation in LA? Does the rail system work well?

I also need to figure out if it would be worth lugging all my stuff to LA and what the cheapest option would be. I'm living in a one bedroom apt right now with not too much stuff - just the typical furniture (bed, futon, dresser, couch, dresser, bookcase..) and belongings. Should I just sell everything and rebuy it? I saved a lot of money when buying all this stuff because of sales and deals, and I feel it would be difficult to find those items for those prices in LA. What do you think? Any advice would be great!

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2010, 07:19 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,761,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tlynguyen View Post
Hi everyone! I just found this forum today and everyone seems to be really helpful! I'll be going to school at USC School of Dentistry in the fall. I need to find a reasonable place to stay that is in a safe neighborhood, but not too far of a commute. What areas would you suggest and what areas should I avoid? Also, how is the public transportation in LA? Does the rail system work well?

I also need to figure out if it would be worth lugging all my stuff to LA and what the cheapest option would be. I'm living in a one bedroom apt right now with not too much stuff - just the typical furniture (bed, futon, dresser, couch, dresser, bookcase..) and belongings. Should I just sell everything and rebuy it? I saved a lot of money when buying all this stuff because of sales and deals, and I feel it would be difficult to find those items for those prices in LA. What do you think? Any advice would be great!

Thanks!
Consider calling the University, maybe even the Dental School, and ask what people in your situation do, where they live, roommates, grad student housing, etc. You probably already know this, but there are a lot of troubled neighborhoods near USC. I would bet that a lot of students, especially grad students in dental school do something similar.

Old 03-18-2010, 11:33 PM

7,411 posts, read 10,389,847 times
A lot of students live near the university, naturally. But there were 2 deaths last year involving a student who got into a fight & was stabbed to death & another student crossing the street when a drunk driver drove over her. My brother's friend works as a security guard at one of the sororities & tells us stories of naked girls drunk in the street & non-stop parties Have fun!

Old 03-19-2010, 03:37 AM

9,725 posts, read 15,171,221 times
Sell all your stuff before you come. There is a lot of stuff for sale cheap here too. It's not worth it to pay to ship it if it's just ordinary stuff.

Old 03-19-2010, 10:04 AM

736 posts, read 2,295,688 times
Congrats on getting into USC Dental School....an excellent school.

USC students tend to live all over. Many live in downtown LA which has seen a lot of revitalization in the last 10 years. Downtown is very close to USC....about a 10 minute drive. That said, it is very urban and dense so you'd have to think about what type of neighborhood you want to live in. Most parts of downtown are safe.

The areas immediately surrounding the university are not the best....some would even say it's the "hood". When USC was founded in 1880....it was one of the nicest areas in LA. But the area went into to decline by about 1940 or 1950. It has made strides in the past 5 to 10 years with more development and student housing built. So I am not saying it's the most dangerous part of LA....it is certainly NOT. But it is also not the most desirable.....

Most USC grad students choose to live off campus in places like downtown LA, the miracle mile area, Pasadena, Koreatown, Los Feliz, West LA, etc.

LA's subway/light rail system is NOT nearly as developed as other big cities. That said, it is safe and clean. There is a light rail line called the Expo line which is opening in late 2010 or early 2011 that will serve the USC campus. The first segment of the Expo line will connect USC to downtown and Culver City.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles