U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2010, 05:21 PM

73 posts, read 196,781 times

Advertisements

Is the area around harvard Boulevard in east hollywood safe? I recently discovered a craigslist ad which advertises shared rooms for $250-300/month and board for $60/month. The place is called the Hollywood dorms (My Homie Safe Space)... Has anyone tried this before? And would you recommend it?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2010, 05:46 PM

1,016 posts, read 1,739,788 times
i would visit and check it out

Old 03-20-2010, 06:03 PM

I am currently out of state, moving to LA in June.

Old 03-21-2010, 05:10 AM

425 posts, read 1,863,749 times
I wouldn't trust it. Not sight unseen. Why can't they accept checks? Why is it only cash or those card things? Have you spoken to anyone on the phone? How did you come about this place? If you want a hostel to stay temporarily until you find something, you might want to check out Hosteling International (yes, they cover the US, too). I think you also get a discount if you are a member of HI.

Old 03-21-2010, 04:25 PM

thanks! was helpful...

Old 03-21-2010, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skip2000 View Post
thanks! was helpful...
You're welcome. I don't want anyone getting ripped off first thing when they make a move to a new area.

Old 03-21-2010, 05:07 PM

Nice of you... I did call them though. They were pretty convincing so I thought the main problem would have been safety, for the rent to be that low. But I wanted to have an advice from within CA...

Old 03-21-2010, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skip2000 View Post
Nice of you... I did call them though. They were pretty convincing so I thought the main problem would have been safety, for the rent to be that low. But I wanted to have an advice from within CA...
I mean, I'm not trying to say they are definitely a scam, but something just doesn't sit well with me. As for safety, it varies. I don't know about that block in particular, but I also don't spend a lot of time in that area, either. I think if it's only going to be temporary, just mind your own business and be aware of your surroundings (which you should be anyway, regardless of where you are). Honestly, though, there is just something about that place (the hostel) that bothers me. But I mean, it's your call.

Old 04-05-2010, 10:00 PM

1 posts, read 3,535 times
People should take the time to check it out and take a tour. I am currently living here and i am grateful to have found this place. Yes it may seem like safety is an issue but the fact is its a pretty safe neighborhood and there is security here. The staff does care about their customers, they here you out and try to do what they can. We even have meetings to address any issues concerning the roommates. I recommend this place for those people that dont have the money for a deposit, for those who do not have good credit, for those who need a place to live as soon as possible. The Hollywood Dorms is not interested in making money, they are interested in helping the community. So dont judge a book by its cover. -J.S.

Old 04-06-2010, 02:53 PM

23,866 posts, read 44,236,927 times
If it's on Craigslist, and it sounds TOO good to be true, then RUN to the nearest exit, as it is a scam.

CL is full of rental scams. NEVER send money to anyone on CL who tells you to send a deposit to "hold" the place, etc.

Here's a thread we had in the Denver forum that you should fine enlightening.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Last edited by Mike from back east; 06-02-2010 at 08:53 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
View detailed profiles of: