Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2010, 08:01 PM

2 posts, read 237,420 times

Advertisements

Hi there,
I like my old license plate number,but I sold my old car. I bought another car.
Can I transfer my old license plate to my new car.
Is there any rules for this from DMV.
Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2010, 08:39 PM

425 posts, read 1,954,772 times
From the DMV website:

Most vehicles have sequentially issued "standard" license plates that remain with the vehicle when ownership is transferred. If the license plate is a special interest or personalized license plate, you must decide if you want to retain the plate for use on another vehicle, or release your interest in the plate. Complete a Special Interest License Plate Application (REG 17)(PDF) or a Special License Plate Application (REG 17A)(PDF) indicating your retention or release of the special plate and give the form to the buyer.

How to Change Vehicle Ownership

Old 03-21-2010, 11:13 PM

2 posts, read 237,420 times
My new car has license plate on it.But I really like the old number.
Can I still transfer it to the new car.
My old license plate is just ordinary plate not special interest plate can I still fill in the form [URL="http://www.dmv.ca.gov/forms/reg/reg17.pdf"]Special Interest License Plate Application [/URL]?
Thanks.

Old 03-21-2010, 11:28 PM

1,016 posts, read 1,936,998 times
You should contact the DMV and not rely on this site for a answer to such a question... there you will be giving one answer and the correct one so you dont find yourself in trouble.

Old 03-22-2010, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chichappens View Post
You should contact the DMV and not rely on this site for a answer to such a question... there you will be giving one answer and the correct one so you dont find yourself in trouble.
I agree with this, although the information I provided was from the DMV website and it doesn't seem like that's possible, but who knows. Like you said, it's best to talk to the DMV about it.

Old 03-22-2010, 08:45 PM

1,955 posts, read 10,979,128 times
Regular issued plate = no on transferring; it stays with the car.

Old 03-22-2010, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Narfcake View Post
Regular issued plate = no on transferring; it stays with the car.
That's what I thought, especially given the information from the DMV website.

Old 03-22-2010, 10:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluegene View Post
My new car has license plate on it.But I really like the old number.
Can I still transfer it to the new car.
My old license plate is just ordinary plate not special interest plate can I still fill in the form Special Interest License Plate Application ?
Thanks.

You have regular plates. That form is for Special Interest license plates, which you say your plates are not. The answer from the DMV seems to lean towards no, you can't keep them. I would call the DMV to double check, but it appears you cannot keep them.

Old 09-05-2011, 11:23 AM

7 posts, read 119,815 times
well let me ask a question. i got a car from my mom, ok. she had driven the car for years. my daughter went into another town, in the car. got stopped, got a ticket for switched tag. it happended at the court house, when my mom purchased her tag, some kinda way, she ended
up with my brothers tag and i guess he hers. but it wasnt noticed until my daughter got stopped
by a police office following her. honestly, i had no idea. i tried to explain this to the court judge, but he told me he didnt wand to hear it. why do judges do that? i ended up paying OVER 300.00 to get her out of jail, to get her licsenses back, court cost, etc. i had called the court house, tag division, where they issued the tag, but it didnt matter to the judge presiding over the cases that day

Old 09-06-2011, 09:44 AM

6,116 posts, read 12,588,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cannywommann View Post
well let me ask a question. i got a car from my mom, ok. she had driven the car for years. my daughter went into another town, in the car. got stopped, got a ticket for switched tag. it happended at the court house, when my mom purchased her tag, some kinda way, she ended
up with my brothers tag and i guess he hers. but it wasnt noticed until my daughter got stopped
by a police office following her. honestly, i had no idea. i tried to explain this to the court judge, but he told me he didnt wand to hear it. why do judges do that? i ended up paying OVER 300.00 to get her out of jail, to get her licsenses back, court cost, etc. i had called the court house, tag division, where they issued the tag, but it didnt matter to the judge presiding over the cases that day
what is the question?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles