Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2007, 12:24 AM

42 posts, read 221,081 times

Advertisements

I looked at buying a house in the Lankersham/ Strathern St area of North Hollywood. I know this is a big hispanic area, but is it safe and an ok place to live?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2007, 02:25 AM

8,256 posts, read 17,343,170 times
that area i believe is ok. im not too familiar with the SFV, but that area is close to burbank, so i think its ok.

Old 10-07-2007, 03:41 AM

1,297 posts, read 5,508,903 times
The closer to Ventura Blvd, the better.

You get what you pay for, and in the valley you get the neighbors your pay for. I dont even like driving my car too far north of ventura blvd. Sorry to the valley folks, but thats just my opinion and based on many years experience out there.

Sherman Oaks, Encino, Studio City all along ventura blvd is good. South of Ventura Blvd is limited in apartments but even better.

Also fyi the area surrounding Van Nuys police station would be a poor choice.

Old 10-07-2007, 08:38 AM

12,974 posts, read 33,953,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by abstrak_tokatl View Post
"Both these areas appear to be very safe, predominantly white areas where a lot of celebrities live. It's my impression that there is very little crime problem there - is that true?"

Nope. In the "white" areas of thevalley there is an abundant arryan nations gang. Also, the 18th street gang's drug smuggler (one of them atleast) lives in Tarzana, or Encino (i forget which).
Funny post. There are NOT aryan nation gangs in Encino or Tarzana. This guy is just trying to scare you. Encino has a very large jewish and persian/jewish population. If there are ANY aryan nation type idiots here they dont go outside.

Encino is home to Coach John Wooden, Ice Cube, Olsen Twins and a few others, Tarzana.......well..........K-Fed lives in Tarzana.

Old 10-30-2007, 04:20 AM

40 posts, read 263,004 times
one tip of advise don't buy north of burbank bl. you will be made to feel like a total outsider. and its rough in many places. look south of burbank bl near vineland or lankershim

Quote:
Originally Posted by richie894 View Post
I looked at buying a house in the Lankersham/ Strathern St area of North Hollywood. I know this is a big hispanic area, but is it safe and an ok place to live?

Old 10-30-2007, 07:41 AM

1,213 posts, read 3,608,126 times
I'm also unfamiliar with the SFV, but would like to learn more. I always hear a lot about staying south of Ventura Blvd. Well if you look on a map, about 80% of the Valley is north of the boulevard. What about areas north of Ventura Blvd in the West Valley such as West Hills, Hidden Hills, Canoga Park, Chatsworth, Northridge, and Granada Hills? Are these areas undesireable as well? Just curious.

Old 10-30-2007, 08:49 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,748,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matt345 View Post
I'm also unfamiliar with the SFV, but would like to learn more. I always hear a lot about staying south of Ventura Blvd. Well if you look on a map, about 80% of the Valley is north of the boulevard. What about areas north of Ventura Blvd in the West Valley such as West Hills, Hidden Hills, Canoga Park, Chatsworth, Northridge, and Granada Hills? Are these areas undesireable as well? Just curious.
I quickly scanned the thread and it wasn't obvious on the ultimate intention: Renting, Buying, Working, Visiting, etc.

What is your budget?
Where will you work?

I grew up in Canoga Park so I sort of know the area. Someone posted this morning and what I wrote is for the west valley you are fine west of Topanga for renting, buying, visiting, etc. West Hills is the western portion of what used to be entirely Canoga Park. I think Shoup is the border now. The further north from the 101, the longer commute to the 101 (duh). Most of the districts (these are all in the City of Los Angeles except Hidden Hills) are fine. There are sketchy areas in Canoga Park like east of Topanga south of Roscoe, north of Vanowen (Canoga Park used to be called Owensmouth and the street name Vanowen comes from the route between Van Nuys and Owensmouth). If you are in Chatsworth you will have a long drive to the 101 unless you can work 118. There are lots of really nice old ranch properties in western Chatsworth where guys like Roy Rogers and Hollywood western people used to have ranches.

Roy Rogers Ranch in Chatsworth

Hidden Hills is extremely expensive horse property. Beautiful 1950s era ranch homes in there.

Hidden Hills 1957

Hidden Hills 1953

Old 11-08-2007, 11:05 AM

4 posts, read 18,790 times
Quote:
West Hills is a median-priced, family community. Hidden Hills has more celebrities and business executives per capita, than any community in the SFV. Hidden Hills is bordered on one side by Woodland Hills/West Hills and the other side by Calabasas, which is also a very high end community full of guard gates, mansions, celebrities and business executives. Canoga Park is a lower income area with a hispanic influence. There is a lot of gang activity in Canoga Park. Chatsworth has pockets of expensive homes with a more rural feel. Northridge is an eclectic mix - from older, smaller homes, to sprawling new subdivisions. There is a growing asian population, however, it is still largely caucasion. Granada Hills is mostly older homes, although there are some new large home developments north on Balboa.

Hope this helps

Old 11-08-2007, 11:28 AM

1,213 posts, read 3,608,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilbermy View Post
West Hills is a median-priced, family community. Hidden Hills has more celebrities and business executives per capita, than any community in the SFV. Hidden Hills is bordered on one side by Woodland Hills/West Hills and the other side by Calabasas, which is also a very high end community full of guard gates, mansions, celebrities and business executives. Canoga Park is a lower income area with a hispanic influence. There is a lot of gang activity in Canoga Park. Chatsworth has pockets of expensive homes with a more rural feel. Northridge is an eclectic mix - from older, smaller homes, to sprawling new subdivisions. There is a growing asian population, however, it is still largely caucasion. Granada Hills is mostly older homes, although there are some new large home developments north on Balboa.

Hope this helps
Thanks for the info! So it sounds like a lot of these communities in the western SFV, although way north of Ventura Boulevard, are still okay places to live? I was just wondering because everyone always talks about staying "south of or close to the blvd" yet the vast majority of the Valley is north of it. Does the "south of the blvd" rule apply more to the central and eastern portions of the valley? Or would a better rule be to stay away from the middle of the Valley? BTW, I'm not planning on moving there, I just like to learn about new places

Old 11-08-2007, 12:24 PM

4 posts, read 18,790 times
Quote:
Thanks for the info! So it sounds like a lot of these communities in the western SFV, although way north of Ventura Boulevard, are still okay places to live? I was just wondering because everyone always talks about staying "south of or close to the blvd" yet the vast majority of the Valley is north of it. Does the "south of the blvd" rule apply more to the central and eastern portions of the valley? Or would a better rule be to stay away from the middle of the Valley? BTW, I'm not planning on moving there, I just like to learn about new places
The middle of the valley has gone to pot, sadly. As a rule of thumb, for the SFV, all hillside areas will be more desirable/safe. The "south of the blvd" rule still holds fairly true, however, some neighborhoods are-a-changin' up to Victory Blvd. People are buying up houses and putting up McMansions wherever they can.

Because of the Valley's close proximity to LA Proper, Hollywood Studios, Beaches, property values in these hillside and adjacent communities will always maintain their values. It's urbanization at it's finest LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles