Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2010, 08:29 PM

1,162 posts, read 3,235,953 times

Advertisements

I don't necessarily consider Timeout, TripAdvisor et al any more 'knowledgeable' than me or anyone else. It's an opinion, everybody has one. I've read reviews in both that I found way off base, with posters responding in kind. Just because its in print or part of yet another poll or 'best of' list? Grain o' salt, in my opinion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by downtown1 View Post
^^ Hey, you might disagree and I respect that, but those Timeout experts are more well-traveled and knowledgeable about the world than you.

Old 03-28-2010, 09:14 PM

10,624 posts, read 26,728,110 times
Did the OP ever come back? Chicago and LA are both great cities with their own pluses and minuses. They're both "real" cities. Which one you like better is going to depend on the specific person.

And on the topic of Timeout, etc., I certainly don't consider them to be the experts, either. And of course even the most well-traveled people -- even those who make their living writing about cities -- have their own personal biases. Most of them are pretty upfront about it; if nothing else, traveling a lot of places helps you realize what aspects of a city matter most when coming up with your own list of what makes a city really special. (reminds me of a Tony Horwitz essay I read awhile back about Cairo; my memory is a little fuzzy, but I think he starts out by writing about how so many people absolutely love it, and he comes to realize that while he understands what it is that they're responding to, he also realizes that it's a city he will never be able to love. I think LA is a bit like that.)

Old 03-28-2010, 11:23 PM

7,411 posts, read 10,384,032 times
I don't think this is a fair question for the LA forum since many of the reasons people live in Los Angeles is because they could never live in a place like Chicago. Weather plays a big part as well as geographic beauty & things to do outdoors that make LA an easy pick over Chicago. Also, the way the 2 cities are laid out is quite different. Chicago is ahead of Los Angeles in providing rail transport & being more urban. Suburban living [yards\ trees\ swimming pools] is more common in LA.

Old 03-29-2010, 02:04 AM

2,245 posts, read 4,231,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by downtown1 View Post
At least it's not a dump or a third-world metropolis.
Umm...have you actually seen it?

Old 03-29-2010, 06:30 AM

2,618 posts, read 1,503,940 times
Global city - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

reference

Old 03-29-2010, 10:15 AM

1,962 posts, read 4,483,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smallvillejane View Post
I am comparing LA and CHicago on every aspect of being a major city.

Yes. I have been to LA like 20000 times. I love santa monica, part of BH, Bel Air, and malibu.
What about Echo Park, Highland Park, Hollywood, Eagle Rock, Baldwin Hills, Silverlake, Los Feliz, the various San Fernando Valley communities (Northridge, Tarzana, Encino, Sylmar, etc.) and many, many other places which belong to LA city?

BH and Malibu (as well as Santa Monica) don't, but I guess you are talking of LA in the larger sense than mere municipal boundaries.....

I guess trust fund people don't have to think about details.....

Last edited by mrsltd; 03-29-2010 at 10:16 AM.. Reason: grammar

Old 03-31-2010, 04:41 PM

93 posts, read 188,517 times
I was born and raised 10 mins from downtown Chicago, now currently live in Hollywood.

- Public transportation isnt as good in LA, but isnt as awful as people say.

- The weather is a million times better in LA.

- The people in Chicago are no nonsense, but atleast they are nicer than most people in LA.

- LA typically has a more open socially accepting atmosphere. If you are more abstract, the midwest isnt for you.

- While the Chicago skyline is amazing, LA has oceans and beach, hills, and canyons. Much nicer for an outdoors person.

Old 12-15-2011, 08:52 PM

1 posts, read 1,901 times
Los Angeles is definitely better. In LA there is great weather all year. The worst weather i have seen is rain for a whole hour. There is also way more things to do. The best part is that u will FOR SURE meet many celebrities. There is always things to do in LA, especially in the entertainment industry.. Chicago has freezing winters and no ocean. The Pacific ocean is always warm. Beautiful men and women are all over CA. Once you are in LA you don't want to leave. Chicago is known for his freezing winters and boring lives.

Old 12-15-2011, 09:47 PM

62 posts, read 149,243 times
This thread embodies everything that's wrong with this forum. Seeing the subject, I was excited to discuss Chicago vs. LA, having lived in Chicago for 12 years before moving to LA a year ago. But noooooo, it's just inane drivel from the original poster.

Old 12-16-2011, 12:03 AM

5 posts, read 5,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fontucky View Post
Here are the answers you're going to get:

Yes
No
Maybe

Have fun making up your mind.

lol, i like your answer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles