Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2010, 08:13 PM

7 posts, read 7,553 times

Advertisements

There are bad drivers everywhere and we all make mistakes that's part of life on the road. Yes, there are some agitated rude drivers who are in a hurry but not everyone who makes a wrong move on the road does it on purpose. We all could practice more lane courtesy and cooperation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2010, 09:53 PM

422 posts, read 1,814,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stregacattiva View Post
I honestly think they don't know that you can make a right turn into the lane closest to you when there are cars in the left lane approaching.
So YOU'RE the one. Please tell me where it's stated in the traffic code that this is legal. Making a right turn when you don't have the right of way and traffic is approaching from the left is ILLEGAL, no matter what lane you're in and what lane the approaching traffic is in. It's called failure to yield right of way.

Old 03-30-2010, 10:03 PM

600 posts, read 1,605,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jc76 View Post
In my town if you try to nudge in some hillrat will jump out of his truck and want to beat you to a bloody pulp.
LOL Thanks for making my day!

Old 03-30-2010, 10:21 PM

1,786 posts, read 6,880,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dub D View Post
Its not that they are bad drivers. It comes down to inconsiderate drivers. They will make a lane change even though that means you have to slow down. They will get mad if you are going 80 in the fast lane, switch lanes, then cut you off for going "slow". They will instantly want to get into the fast lane asap once entering the freeway to save 43 seconds on their commute. They will cut in and out of the carpool lane if it is going 2 mphs slower than the fast lane.

All these things are d-moves. They have nothing to do with being bad drivers. There is a reason why so many road rage incidents occur in SoCal. You can blame the amount of driving but it comes down to how indegent driving manners have become. It isn't just LA, it goes all the way to Riverside and you can see it clearer than day when driving to Vegas up the 15.

We are overall better drivers just so we can cut you off.
Best post so far on this. Recently had to start a commute and Dub D has it right. PEOPLE!, get into a lane and stay there! When you first get on a congested freeway, take a look at the car next to you on both sides. 10-miles later you'll realize that they're still there despite the 50 lane changes they've made. And carpoolers, I'm not expecting you to jump out of the carpool lane, across the double yellow, to cross 4 lanes of traffic to catch you're off ramp in 100-feet. By the way, neither are the folks in the other 3 lanes or the transition lane either.

Finally, if you're merge lane is a 440-yards long (that's 1/4 mile for you metrics!) Don't wait until the 445th yard to decide to pull onto a freeway lane because you don't want to be behind those 5 other cars. Deal with it! When you're a "dique", you CAUSE the traffic.

More from me on this one later, I'm sure.

Old 03-30-2010, 10:32 PM

26,338 posts, read 93,474,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
I think people are waiting to make a right on a red light, which in most cases is permitted, but are hesitant because of the rush of traffic from the left. It isn't clear if the traffic approaching from the left is in the outside (the near lane) or the next lane. Also, if the driver waiting to turn right is in a long vehicle it isn't that easy to make a tight right turn either.
Forgot to mention one other thing. The guy holding up the original poster by not making a right turn on red could be yielding to oncoming traffic making a left turn (with a green arrow), and in that case the oncoming left turning traffic can make a wide left turn into the outside lane.

Old 03-31-2010, 11:52 AM

3,550 posts, read 6,466,431 times
This is the perfect website for this thread

L.A. Can't Drive

Old 03-31-2010, 12:10 PM

72 posts, read 250,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yamota View Post

L.A. Can't Drive
that is fantastic

Old 03-31-2010, 12:17 PM

7 posts, read 7,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cubancoffee View Post
So YOU'RE the one. Please tell me where it's stated in the traffic code that this is legal. Making a right turn when you don't have the right of way and traffic is approaching from the left is ILLEGAL, no matter what lane you're in and what lane the approaching traffic is in. It's called failure to yield right of way.
As I said, most people don't know you are permitted to make a right turn into the "right lane" on a red light. As we specified there is more than 1 lane moving in the direction we are turning. Of course eveyone who has a driver's license knows you may turn right into any lane lawfully available to traffic moving in that direction upon the roadway being entered after you've come to a complete stop and it is safe to proceed. The person who made the above comment wasn't able to comprehend what we were talking about. Show me in Chapter 6, section: 22100-22113 of the California Vehicle Code where it says this is an illegal action.

Old 03-31-2010, 12:28 PM

26,338 posts, read 93,474,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yamota View Post

L.A. Can't Drive
Too bad there aren't videos but I guess that would be kind of tough. This is the LA Driving equivalent of People of Walmart: a collection of all the creatures that grace us with their presence at Walmart, America's favorite store.

The car squeezed into the parking space in Burbank might have been there before the white car behind him.

Old 03-31-2010, 01:41 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,214,263 times
Where is the near lane?

Is there a far lane as well?

I do know of the right lane, left lane, and center lane.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles