Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2010, 03:12 AM

2,031 posts, read 3,225,245 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cubancoffee View Post
Any traffic approaching from the left, even if it is not in your lane, ALWAYS has the right of way. Say I stop at a red light on a six-lane street, waiting to make a right turn, and you're coming from the left in the second lane. Under your reasoning, if the right lane is clear it's OK for me to make my turn before you clear the intersection. So, what if at the same second I decide to turn, you spy the doctor's office on the right you were looking for and switch lanes to turn into the driveway. Except now I've cut in front of you, and you're cussing me and at the least will probably have to drive around the block and, depending on how fast we both were going, maybe had to slam on your brakes or even smacked into me. But I made a legal turn? That was safe? Who do you think gets a ticket? Whose insurance do you think pays off?
You cannot switch lanes in the middle of an intersection even though people do it all the time. Drives me nuts. It is illegal thus why you legally can turn into the far right lane if there is no one in that lane on the left.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2010, 04:27 AM

1,465 posts, read 5,147,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CantWait2Leave View Post
You cannot switch lanes in the middle of an intersection even though people do it all the time. Drives me nuts. It is illegal thus why you legally can turn into the far right lane if there is no one in that lane on the left.
What is the California Vehicle Code statute making lane changing in intersections illegal?

Old 04-01-2010, 07:40 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,761,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DowntownVentura View Post
What is the California Vehicle Code statute making lane changing in intersections illegal?

It "sort of" doesn't:
"The California Vehicle Code does not prohibit drivers from changing lanes while going through an intersection per Section 22107 CVC (California Vehicle Code). However, the city in which you live has municipal codes in place also. So, I would check those too. Changing lane at an intersection is dangerous because California does allow the "right turn on red". If the vehicle at the other crossing intersection wants to make a right turn and does not anticipate your lane change in the middle of the intersection, and committs to making a rigt turn as you change lanes, then you will collide. As an officer, we would cite you for an unsafe lane change. If this is something you want to fight, then I would review the section and be clear on whether you did what was needed to make the lane change safely (i.e., signaled at least 100 feet before making the change, etc). So, keep in mind, "with reasonably safety". The safe answer is, "NO".

Again, here is the section; 22107 CVC - drivers who intend to change lanes while going through an intersection where there's other traffic must signal their intended maneuver continuously for the last 100 feet before starting the lane change -- and do it only if it's reasonably safe. "
from

Is it illegal to change lanes in an intersection (california)? | Answerbag

Old 04-01-2010, 08:29 AM

1,465 posts, read 5,147,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
It "sort of" doesn't:
"The California Vehicle Code does not prohibit drivers from changing lanes while going through an intersection per Section 22107 CVC (California Vehicle Code). However, the city in which you live has municipal codes in place also. So, I would check those too. Changing lane at an intersection is dangerous because California does allow the "right turn on red". If the vehicle at the other crossing intersection wants to make a right turn and does not anticipate your lane change in the middle of the intersection, and committs to making a rigt turn as you change lanes, then you will collide. As an officer, we would cite you for an unsafe lane change. If this is something you want to fight, then I would review the section and be clear on whether you did what was needed to make the lane change safely (i.e., signaled at least 100 feet before making the change, etc). So, keep in mind, "with reasonably safety". The safe answer is, "NO".

Again, here is the section; 22107 CVC - drivers who intend to change lanes while going through an intersection where there's other traffic must signal their intended maneuver continuously for the last 100 feet before starting the lane change -- and do it only if it's reasonably safe. "
from

Is it illegal to change lanes in an intersection (california)? | Answerbag

I am not questioning whether it is legal or not. I am just asking those that assert it is illegal to specify what makes it illegal. Sure, one could get a ticket for unsafe lane change anywhere but when one says
Quote:
I just wanted some clarification, especially since it drives her nuts.

Old 04-01-2010, 10:51 AM

3,322 posts, read 7,972,545 times
Wrong. It is legal to make a lane change in an intersection. However, you can only do it if the other lane is empty and traffic is low. It is a very dangerous move to make since you also need to check out for vehicles making a right turn. I asked a few of my cop friends, it is legal. Making the switch in the intersection and causing someone to brake will draw you a ticket much more than a regular lane change.

Old 04-01-2010, 11:46 AM

19 posts, read 29,315 times
Default Real life Ricky Bobby

[quote=SOON2BNSURPRISE;13537497][Also think it is funny when you have these timid drivers on the road. Maybe they are scared because this is not Mayberry or some other small town. Pretend that you have a clue and hit the ground running. No need to delay trafic because your scared to drive in the big city. Not that traffic is flowing that fast anyway"]

I think it's interesting you bring up this point, because I've never seen more timid drivers here once any form of precipitation hits LA. In places like Mayberry, and most other places in the country, which I'm sure you're clueless about geographically, it rains and people adapt to the rain and drive. NOT HERE. haha Not here. In this city, I've seen people pull over to the side of the road because of their inability to drive in the rain. You'd figure people feel they'd skid across the road if they drive more than 10 mph. I couldn't even fathom what it would be like if it snowed. And also, it's not a small town thing, big guy. I'm from a big city, and if you truly think it doesn't suck to drive around here..it's pure denial.

Last edited by BravoJack12; 04-01-2010 at 12:06 PM..

Old 04-01-2010, 12:57 PM

7 posts, read 7,600 times
Sheesh, we're talking about making a right turn on a red light when there are no cars approaching in the right lane. You can turn any legal traffic move into an accident scene if you want to. Cubancoffee, you still haven't posted the vehicle code that states it is illegal only your opinion and accident theories.
True Bravojack12, the rain brings the freeways to a halt. Whenever it rains here it's such a novelty they interview people on the TV news about it, pretty funny.

Old 04-01-2010, 01:07 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,345,962 times
[quote=BravoJack12;13551680]
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
[Also think it is funny when you have these timid drivers on the road. Maybe they are scared because this is not Mayberry or some other small town. Pretend that you have a clue and hit the ground running. No need to delay trafic because your scared to drive in the big city. Not that traffic is flowing that fast anyway"]

I think it's interesting you bring up this point, because I've never seen more timid drivers here once any form of precipitation hits LA. In places like Mayberry, and most other places in the country, which I'm sure you're clueless about geographically, it rains and people adapt to the rain and drive. NOT HERE. haha Not here. In this city, I've seen people pull over to the side of the road because of their inability to drive in the rain. You'd figure people feel they'd skid across the road if they drive more than 10 mph. I couldn't even fathom what it would be like if it snowed. And also, it's not a small town thing, big guy. I'm from a big city, and if you truly think it doesn't suck to drive around here..it's pure denial.
Around here big guy, we don't have a lot of rain and when we do the local populace knows to slow it down because water and oil don't mix. maybe where you are from the roads get "washed down" and the problem of having oil on the roads is not a problem. Most of the drivers here know that when you put water on these roads that you all of a sudden have the potential to lose traction. Take some advice and drive like we do, especially when it rains. Look at the increase of accidents on the road in rainy conditions. Forget what you know about driving in the rain from where ever it is that you came from, chances are that may not work out here.

What does my living around here have to do with a lack of knowledge towards the geography of this great land? I have been all over the western states, the south and the mid west. I have yet to visit the North East though and am unfamiliar with that part of the nation, although my wife and I would love to visit New York City, Washigton D.C. and Boston eventually.

When did I bring up the idea that it did or didn't suck to drive around here? Can you please inform me as to where I stated my position on driving conditions here in the LA area? For one it is common knowledge that we have the most congested freeway in the nation. We have others that are in the top 10. I fail to see where anyone is saying that it is a fun thing to have to deal with everyone on the road at the same time. Maybe you can enlighten me.

I for one love when I drive and plan when I make my trips. For me I also work less than 7 miles from home and my drive is not too bad. What I hate is when those that don't know how we drive try to enter a forum and let all of us know that we don't know how to drive and then go on about how we can't drive in the rain when it is plain to all that we are doing just fine. I would like to see a report on how many of the accidents that happen are caused by those that think they can drive in the rain because where they are from it rains all the time and they never got in a wreck.

Old 04-01-2010, 06:24 PM

8 posts, read 11,211 times
Just follow the signs and you should have no problem driving. People are always running late out here so they miss the MPH sign )

Old 04-02-2010, 09:44 AM

3,727 posts, read 6,223,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
The guy holding up the original poster by not making a right turn on red could be yielding to oncoming traffic making a left turn (with a green arrow), and in that case the oncoming left turning traffic can make a wide left turn into the outside lane.
Drivers not making wise left turns also a big problem in SoCal driving. The proper left turn is to make a sharp angle and turn into the closest lane to you, the one next to the center divider. Instead, many drivers will make that wide drifting turn into the far lane, next to the curb. This puts them in conflict with oncoming drivers making a right turn and with pedestrians. An ugly variation of this is when there are two left turn only lanes. Sure as heck some nitwit in the first lane will swing wide right into the path of the driver in the other lane also making a left turn. When many of us learned to drive we were taught that when you made a turn, right or left, you turned into the nearest lane to you, you did not make a wide drifting turn into a far lane. Too bad many have forgotten those lessons.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles