Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2010, 01:54 PM

107 posts, read 303,100 times

Advertisements

I agree with Culver City ( I think pbergen is on point) - my nephews have gone/and go to Echo Center and it appears to be a great private school. I have family that has lived there for many years and no problems, other than traffic - but it is LA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2010, 06:47 PM

21 posts, read 81,414 times
I definitely agree with Culver City.

I would also recommend some other areas in west LA. pico-robertson is a safe, friendly, diverse neighborhood.

it's zoned to LAUSD and LA unified isn't that great as a whole, but there is a magnet school in that area which is very good.

Old 06-03-2010, 01:09 AM

300 posts, read 1,258,286 times
I think all of Southern CA is "mixed race". I think it more boils down to socioeconomic status....that truly determines where you will/where you want to live. I was born and raised here all my life (almost 30), and I, to this day, have NEVER lived in an all-white neighborhood (or an all "whatever" neighborhood). Every area is "mixed", its just segregated by socioeconomics, mostly. Meaning- there are poor/trashy white people mixed with poor/trashy mexican people in lower-income areas, the same as there are highly-educated, dual income white households and highly-educated, dual income black/asian/indian households in the same neighborhood/city. The "mixing" is sort of a non-issue here (at least, that's how I see it). If you can afford to live somewhere "nice" with good schools, etc.- I can almost guarantee there will be lots of different races/ethnicities present.

Old 06-03-2010, 03:59 AM

9,725 posts, read 15,171,221 times
Ditto to preppyglam. Most areas are like the United Nations. You might also look at Sherman Oaks/Encino though they are sort of a long commute from downtown.

You might also think about sending your kids to private school since it seems like most people who can afford it, do that. There are a lot of good private schools.

Old 06-03-2010, 04:16 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,761,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by preppyglam View Post
I think all of Southern CA is "mixed race".

Every area is "mixed",

I can almost guarantee there will be lots of different races/ethnicities present.
Elementary schools (within 30 miles of Long Beach, data from Greatschools)

%White

Roy O. Andersen Elementary School 93%
Harbor View Elementary School 90%
Roscomare Road Elementary School 88%
Mariners Elementary School 87%
Top of the World Elementary School 86%
Silverado Elementary School 86%
Eastbluff Elementary School 84%
Kenter Canyon Elementary School 83%
Hawthorne Elementary School 83%
Newport Elementary School 82%

%AA

CLAS Affirmation School 100%
View Park Preparatory Accelerated Charter Elementary School 97%
Crescendo Charter Academy 96%
Crescendo Charter Conservatory School 95%
Lou Dantzler Preparatory Charter Elementary School 95%
Broadacres Avenue Elementary School 94%
Fredrick Douglass Academy Elementary 94%
Watts Learning Center 92%
Freeman (Daniel) Elementary School 91%
Windsor Hills Math Science School 91%

%Hispanic

Loma Vista Elementary School 100%
State Street Elementary School 100%
Malabar Street Elementary School 100%
Marianna Avenue Elementary School 100%
Antonio Maria Lugo Academy 100%
Joseph A. Gascon Elementary School 100%
Hammel Street Elementary School 100%
Vernon City Elementary School 100%
Amanecer Primary Center 100%
Giraffe Charter School 100%

%Asian

Baldwin Stocker Elementary School 83%
John Murdy Elementary School 81%
McKinley Elementary School 76%
Ethan B. Allen Elementary School 75%
Ynez Elementary School 75%
Castelar Street Elementary School 73%
Leonard B. Westhoff Elementary School 73%
Robert C. Fisler Elementary School 73%
Evergreen Elementary Schoolgrey house 72%
Longley Way Elementary School 70%

Old 06-03-2010, 12:59 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,345,962 times
Bel Air I hear would be a great place.

Old 06-04-2010, 01:55 PM

300 posts, read 1,014,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STACEY1205 View Post
Hi all. My fiance and I are looking to relocate from NYC to LA in a few months. We are in our late 20's and have a young daughter (school age). We are looking for a safe community with a mixed race to live in with good schools. Price really isn't a problem. I work in the fashion industry so I will be working in downtown la. My fiance's career causes him to travel alot, so I would like a safe family oriented area. I would also like the community to have great shops. Does anyone have any idea where we should start looking?
Pasadena, Compton or how about Burbank ?

Old 08-07-2010, 09:44 PM

99 posts, read 570,120 times
Default Diverse, kids, commute & schools...

Pasadena fits all of your requirements. It's a large, diverse, beautiful city that is a quick commute to Downtown LA. There is even a train that will quickly drop you off in Downtown as well as Hollywood, North Hollywood & Long Beach. It's convenient, beautiful, hilly & flat and large enough such that you don't have to commute to Downtown for restaurants or arts. There are good public schools & not-so-good ones, not to mention some good private schools. There are bungalows, ranchers, classic estates & lots of houses on historical register.

Culver City also fits your requirements, but is much closer to the beach and West LA than Downtown. Just go to realtor.com to see the housing stock & Wikipedia to look up the stats.

Try Hollywood Hills & Los Feliz. You'll find good elementary schools & it's more affordable than West LA. Since price is 'no issue', you could use your 'extra' money to send them to some of the many elite prep & private schools. HWH is north of Sunset, north of Franklin, north and east of West Hollywood.

You might also try Ladera Heights (90056), Baldwin Hills (parts of 90008) & View Park. These are all very affluent black neighborhoods, Ladera being the most mixed, newer and having ocean views. View Park (parts of 90046) being the most affluent, hilly, ghetto-adjacent & with beautiful architecture. There are no good public schools for this area, though & they aren't very mixed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles