Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2009, 10:23 AM

1,085 posts, read 2,291,752 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I'm from New York and my job is about to send me to LA for about 3 weeks this spring to help set up a new office in Downtown LA. I'd like some info on Eagle Rock since that's where I'll be staying during that time.

I heard it's one of the better LA neighborhoods but I'd also like to know how available amenities are and how safe, quiet it is. One other thing, I'd like to know how available public transportation and how good/bad commute is to downtown LA. I know it's a bit taboo to ask about that but I've only driven a car 3 times in the past 2 years (living in New York, I've never needed to).

Any information would be appreciated. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2009, 11:39 AM

1,714 posts, read 6,052,894 times
Eagle Rock is pretty nice. It is better above York, and much better above Colorado. Occidental College is a really pretty campus, and a lot of Eagle Rock is organized around Occidental. The grocery stores and things are sort of gritty but generally OK.

The commute to downtown, I can tell you about using the 2 fwy, which is a very decent drive. If you take the 110, it can be challenging. There is a train station in nearby Highland Park, as well as Pasadena. I am not sure how convenient it would be to catch a bus to the train, but I'm sure it could be done.

If you like Armenian food, there is some really great stuff in nearby Glendale.

Last edited by timelesschild; 01-11-2009 at 11:47 AM..

Old 01-11-2009, 11:41 AM

5,032 posts, read 12,606,184 times
Eagle Rock is a somewhat interesting area of Los Angeles. Upper middle-class above Colorado Bvld & working class neighborhoods. Asian\ Latino & Anglos in equal numbers. Occidental College [where Obama was a student] brings students into the mix. Some fun restaurants & a little nightlife in Eagle Rock but Pasadena is closeby & more hip. Glendale is also next door w/ good shopping\ Americana. Eagle Rock is fairly quiet & not known for crime problems.

Transportation isn't as good as Pasadena or Highland Pk but the Gold Line isn't too far from Eagle Rock. Good bus access. Both the Glendale\2 & Pasadena\110 freeways are crowded during rush hour but downtown is generally under 30 minutes away.

Overall, Eagle Rock is a good choice.

Old 01-11-2009, 11:44 AM

11,151 posts, read 15,829,054 times
I don't have any personal knowledge of Eagle Rock, but will point you to the MTA's Trip Planner website. It's not quite as good as my old pal, HopStop, but it'll give you a pretty good idea of what your public transit options are.

One thing to remember about public transit in L.A. vs. NYC is that buses may run only 10-15 minutes, so if you miss a connection you may have to wait a while for the next bus to come along.

Old 01-12-2009, 11:13 AM

1,085 posts, read 2,291,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by happ View Post
Eagle Rock is a somewhat interesting area of Los Angeles. Upper middle-class above Colorado Bvld & working class neighborhoods. Asian\ Latino & Anglos in equal numbers. Occidental College [where Obama was a student] brings students into the mix. Some fun restaurants & a little nightlife in Eagle Rock but Pasadena is closeby & more hip. Glendale is also next door w/ good shopping\ Americana. Eagle Rock is fairly quiet & not known for crime problems.
I like the sound of that. This sounds like a neighborhood I live near. My only issue might be the demographic of people as well... I might stand out a bit but that's OK.

Quote:
Originally Posted by happ View Post
Transportation isn't as good as Pasadena or Highland Pk but the Gold Line isn't too far from Eagle Rock. Good bus access. Both the Glendale\2 & Pasadena\110 freeways are crowded during rush hour but downtown is generally under 30 minutes away.
Well, the driving is out as I'm 90% sure I won't have a car but as long as the place I'm going (I don't have an exact address yet) is public transit accesible - I'll be fine.

Old 01-12-2009, 10:28 PM

1,162 posts, read 3,235,623 times
It's nice. Good restaurants, very quaint and unique. We love the breakfasts at Cindy's- a retro (sorta) diner off Colorado.

Old 01-12-2009, 10:47 PM

938 posts, read 4,092,849 times
It's cute, has a diverse ethnic mix (FILIPINO DOUBLE DECKER STRIP MALLS!!), close to Downtown, Pasadena, Glendale, Burbank as well as other gentrifying locales such as Highland Park and Atwater Village, is quaint, with many tree-lined streets, also it has a cool budding funky, underground artist/bohemian/hipster vibe and culinary scene.

Plus how many neighborhoods in LA can claim real natural landmarks as the basis for their community's name!?!

Here are some articles on it:
Colorado cool is a boulevard rule - Los Angeles Times
HIP NEST - Los Angeles Times

p.s: transit there sucks. there is the 780 bus, which comes every 5-15 minutes depending on the hour and services Pasadena/Glendale in one direction, and Hollywood/Atwater Village/Los Feliz/Hollywood/Mid-City in the other.

Old 01-12-2009, 10:54 PM

938 posts, read 4,092,849 times
BTW, if you're seriously considering commuting to DTLA via mass transit, you're going to want to try Koreatown, Pasadena, South Pasadena, Highland Park (sketchy), Los Feliz, Silverlake ($$) or even Downtown LB.

Old 01-13-2009, 09:25 PM

1,162 posts, read 3,235,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by King0fthehill View Post
BTW, if you're seriously considering commuting to DTLA via mass transit, you're going to want to try Koreatown, Pasadena, South Pasadena, Highland Park (sketchy), Los Feliz, Silverlake ($$) or even Downtown LB.
Whatta about Mt Washington? We got transit and a great ES.

Old 01-13-2009, 09:35 PM

1,714 posts, read 6,052,894 times
The OP is only going to be here for 3 weeks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles