Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2010, 04:45 PM

93 posts, read 188,491 times

Advertisements

Being someone in the music industry, Im trying to figure out the best places to go see a show and meet a more abstract younger rock crowd. I dont mean going to see big acts as you would at House Of Blues and so on. Im talking about the local scene. Any suggestions?

I live in Hollywood, just below the Sunset Strip, but most of those places seem to be crappy cover bands and so on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2010, 04:58 PM

1,016 posts, read 1,936,998 times
Same here... maybe we should hook up...

Old 03-31-2010, 04:59 PM

3,322 posts, read 7,968,123 times
From what I've seen, you should go to the venues you enjoy the most during the week. Not nearly as many people so you can actually move and during sets, try to talk to someone. If you go there enough times, I'm sure someone will notice you after some time.

Old 03-31-2010, 05:09 PM

7,226 posts, read 22,187,529 times
places i used to go see bands in smaller venues 5-10 years ago besides random bars here and there were chain reaction in anaheim, the back alley in fullerton, the glass house in pomona, the fox in pomona, and the knitting factory in hollywood. i'm pretty sure all of these places still exist except for the knitting factory. i think more suburban areas have more venues for young, up and coming bands because the suburbs are where the kids live. if you want more mature musicians who are looking to make it, check out the echo and spaceland. i believe the silversun pickups got their start playing these venues.

Old 03-31-2010, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chichappens View Post
Same here... maybe we should hook up...
Where you at in LA? What type of scene are you looking for? Im always up for meeting new people.

Thanks,

Im conflicted, because I want to see serious bands play, but I also want to meet people in the rock scene. I never paid much attention to Sunset, because of all the disappointment of what happened after the 90s. It seems these days, The Roxy is more hip than it is raw, and the Whiskey never has any good bands (even though I do still want to go there to say I was there).

I heard a lot of good things about Silverlake, but Im also told there are a lot of gang activity around that area too.

Old 03-31-2010, 05:43 PM

7,226 posts, read 22,187,529 times
if you aren't comfortable being in silverlake after dark then LA is not the place for you. i'd rather be forced to walk after dark on sunset through silverlake over hollywood any day of the week. there's some weird **** that happens in hollywood after hours, there are a lot less weirdos in silverlake (unless you consider hipsters to be weirdos).

Old 03-31-2010, 05:49 PM

1,016 posts, read 1,936,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jer3784 View Post
Where you at in LA? What type of scene are you looking for? Im always up for meeting new people.

Thanks,

Im conflicted, because I want to see serious bands play, but I also want to meet people in the rock scene. I never paid much attention to Sunset, because of all the disappointment of what happened after the 90s. It seems these days, The Roxy is more hip than it is raw, and the Whiskey never has any good bands (even though I do still want to go there to say I was there).

I heard a lot of good things about Silverlake, but Im also told there are a lot of gang activity around that area too.

send you a prive email to your CD account here.

Old 03-31-2010, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRinSM View Post
if you aren't comfortable being in silverlake after dark then LA is not the place for you. i'd rather be forced to walk after dark on sunset through silverlake over hollywood any day of the week. there's some weird **** that happens in hollywood after hours, there are a lot less weirdos in silverlake (unless you consider hipsters to be weirdos).
Opps, I meant the areas around Silverlake.

Unless ts far East Hollywood, I dont have a problem walking around Hollywood at night.

Old 04-01-2010, 11:39 AM

736 posts, read 2,294,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jer3784 View Post
Being someone in the music industry, Im trying to figure out the best places to go see a show and meet a more abstract younger rock crowd. I dont mean going to see big acts as you would at House Of Blues and so on. Im talking about the local scene. Any suggestions?

I live in Hollywood, just below the Sunset Strip, but most of those places seem to be crappy cover bands and so on.
You should be hanging in Silverlake, Echo Park, etc.

Spaceland, the Echo, the Smell (downtown LA), etc.

Old 04-01-2010, 12:10 PM

2,261 posts, read 7,230,171 times
Try "The Smell" (The Smell) for more indie & punk bands.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles