Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2010, 02:07 PM

5,113 posts, read 19,764,799 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by californio sur View Post
Can you link the article you are citing? I find it odd since this very subject gets a lot of attention on the "City vs City" forum & Los Angeles is listed in several studies as either the 5th or 6th most influential & economic powerful cities in the world & Chicago is well below LA on these polls.

New York! The Big Apple s the most nfluential city, Delhi, Mumbai count too*|*Real Estate News, Property classified, property listing, realty, real estate India

I also find that many somewhat negative posts about LA that seem questionable are more often than not written by someone who does not live in Los Angeles or California. But instead live in cities\ states that aren't very interesting.
Biggest influence and economy aren't "best city", though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2010, 02:30 PM

7,411 posts, read 10,389,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhcompy View Post
Biggest influence and economy aren't "best city", though.
Right. And you point is? So if Los Angeles is an economic powerhouse it can not be a "best city" according to one poll?

Old 04-12-2010, 03:17 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,345,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by californio sur View Post
The OP, smallvillejane, is from Chicago. Does that say anything? Recent comments about Los Angeles from several Chicago posters have included that "Topanga Canyon is an unremarkable suburb of LA" . . . "Los Angeles is not noted for food" [whatever that means ] and gems like "California wines rate near the bottom of the list of good wines."

The OP's intent may be innocent but I find it a bit provocative. How many Angelenos or Californians even bother to read the Chicago forum or would even post a negative opinion about Chicago on the Chicago forum?
And yet I don't see a single Illinois wine on any list, unless you consider the wine that comes from Chicago Winers. Besides that Napa Valley is in the Northern part of the state, although I have heard that you can get some great wine in other parts of the state.

Old 04-12-2010, 03:24 PM

Maybe someone should make the following poll:

How many Californians will be vacationing in Chicago for 2010?

How many Californians will be vacationing in Illinois for 2010?

How many of the Californians are from the Los Angeles Metro area?

How many Illinoians (Is that correc?) will be vacationing in Los Angeles for 2010?

How many Illinoians will be vacationing in California for 2010?

How many of the Illionoians are from the Chicago area?

How many Illionoians have been to California in their lifetime?

How many Californians have been to Illinois in their lifetime?

How many Californians have been to any state in the midwest?

Old 04-12-2010, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
And yet I don't see a single Illinois wine on any list, unless you consider the wine that comes from Chicago Winers. Besides that Napa Valley is in the Northern part of the state, although I have heard that you can get some great wine in other parts of the state.
You are on a roll smarty pants!

You mean you don't drink the wonderful Chicago chardonnay? I guess we are just uncouth Californians!

Old 04-12-2010, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Maybe someone should make the following poll:

How many Californians will be vacationing in Chicago for 2010?

How many Californians will be vacationing in Illinois for 2010?

How many of the Californians are from the Los Angeles Metro area?

How many Illinoians (Is that correc?) will be vacationing in Los Angeles for 2010?

How many Illinoians will be vacationing in California for 2010?

How many of the Illionoians are from the Chicago area?

How many Illionoians have been to California in their lifetime?

How many Californians have been to Illinois in their lifetime?

How many Californians have been to any state in the midwest?
I wouldn't post this on the Chicago forum! An all out war will occur if you do!

Old 04-12-2010, 03:29 PM

Yea I was thinking the same thing. Maybe I will have to make a trip out to Chicago and taste what the loval vintners are brewing.

Old 04-12-2010, 04:45 PM

3,550 posts, read 6,490,393 times
Listen guys, the only reason these threads become a city vs. city affair is because Angelenos get so defensive about even the slightest criticism of LA, and instead of using this criticism to make LA better you guys get defensive, it's lke "LA not a great city? **** you Chicago! **** you New York! We got better weather here!". Listen, this was not meant as a put down, just a plea to listen to criticisms and use that criticism in a constructive way because, it takes more than great weather and a subway system to hang with the big boys like New York, Paris and yes, Chicago.

Old 04-12-2010, 04:50 PM

5,408 posts, read 12,665,367 times
youre being sarcastic right...

im pretty sure you are. just making sure.

Quote:
That is why they do all that filming in those other cities, because we have nothing here. The film industry realized long ago that LA and the surrounding area has nothing that resembles anything in those other cities and will not film or make movies here. It is a shame. We just have nothing to offer anyone.

Also not many people from around the globe would want to live in the LA metro.

I think a good world class city would be one where over 160 languages are spoken, where people from all over the Earth reside, where they have access to shipping and transportation. I would think a good world class city would be one where visitors would have lots of entertainment opportunities, places to vacation, outdoor events, closeness to the arts and sporting events. a good world class city would have museums, a zoo, Observatory.

I wish we had all those things here in LA.

Old 04-12-2010, 04:54 PM

5,706 posts, read 9,630,964 times
Living in a particular city isn't a popularity contest, its an individual thing. If LA makes you happy, then its the best. If not, it isn't. If Chicago makes you the happiest, then its the best. And so on.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles