Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-13-2010, 12:53 PM

6 posts, read 12,089 times

Advertisements

Hello all,

I have spent the last hour or so browsing through the forums reading previous advice to others regarding moving to LA, the quality of life there and the cost of living. None of them however quite got me the complete answers I was looking for and If any of you have the patience I would appreciate some insight.

I know theres a very strong "If you aren't in LA you won't get a job until you get here" stand, but I was wondering if I could get some opinions as to whether it would be possible/ways to go about it? (It would help ease my worries) I mean in my current situation if I got a nice job (Steady few months) as a PA or Camera assistant on a TV show I would move the next day over there. Should I wait and get more experience locally? Are there any other places I could consider for TV camera work? I feel like if I wait much longer ill get older and then it will be harder but I also get the feeling I'll have a really hard time with barely any network connections.

I was also considering moving to the North Hollywood, Pasadena, Azure areas which seem to have nice 1BR / Studios in the 700-900$ range (my budget) Ive been mostly just looking at craiglist and westsiderentals.com and I am under the impression that they are "safer" areas within that price range. I do own a car so I can drive no problem anywhere.

Thank you.

Last edited by Marka; 04-17-2010 at 05:12 AM.. Reason: per request
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2010, 01:52 PM

26,338 posts, read 93,563,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by setgetgo View Post
I have a few friends in LA who are currently working on TV shows and they tell me to up and go as soon as possible to find work

However I've also met people who left LA (and worked on A-list features) and tell me not to go there

How do your proponent friends recommend you find work? How did they find work? What is the process to find work? Are you qualified? Do these guys have more training? Did they work for free? Were they an apprentice? Did they know someone, family, friend? Do you have a Plan B should Plan A not work out for six months?

Old 04-13-2010, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
How do your proponent friends recommend you find work? How did they find work? What is the process to find work? Are you qualified? Do these guys have more training? Did they work for free? Were they an apprentice? Did they know someone, family, friend? Do you have a Plan B should Plan A not work out for six months?
Meeting people and looking on craigslist/cold calling.

They found work by doing above and knowing others there, bigger social network then me.

Like I mentioned I feel underqualified

Yes they have more training

Yes they worked for free a few weeks

Yes they were an apprentice

They have friends

No, plan B would be moving back after failing and it's not much of an option.

Old 04-13-2010, 02:47 PM

77,772 posts, read 104,367,914 times
Check realtor or renter.com and see what you come up with. I, personally would do Pasadena if I were in my 20s, single and wanted a place where young professionals hang out..

Nita

Last edited by Marka; 04-17-2010 at 05:12 AM..

Old 04-13-2010, 09:20 PM

Thanks Nita! I will definetly look into that

Old 04-14-2010, 12:55 AM

164 posts, read 605,694 times
Depends on your tolerance or appetite for risk.

You're young (mid-20s). If I were you, I'd take advantage of that youth -- and just move here. Even though some places are taking away some production from LA, keep in mind that LA is still the largest production center in the US.

Another major center closer to where you are is Louisiana - lots of productions are being shot there because of tax incentives, and it's like the 4th largest in North America for film/tv production (after LA, NY, Vancouver).

If you're thinking about LA, see if you can find a way to come out here for a few weeks first before committing to a move.

Old 04-14-2010, 01:38 PM

I don't mind the risk of going out there, if you aren't willing to risk it you aren't willing to reap the rewards someday. I'm just more concerned with being able to land that first job as a cameraman without having connections. And locally I wasn't able to get on any news channels/sports crews.

Old 04-14-2010, 02:05 PM

233 posts, read 742,371 times
Please read the following thread
//www.city-data.com/forum/los-a...lege-grad.html

Old 04-14-2010, 04:00 PM

897 posts, read 1,587,458 times
Seriously, it's not that hard. Why can't your friends help you out?

Old 09-28-2012, 10:37 PM

3 posts, read 4,587 times
Hi there I work in TV also but in London. I am looking to move to LA next year and find some work in production, so I am in the same boat as you. I am doing some intense research before I go and make sure I have sufficient funds. I think you should take the bull by the balls and go for it. Keep me posted and I hope all goes well for you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles