Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2010, 04:43 PM

2,852 posts, read 6,485,150 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CALGUY View Post
I guess I must be a one in a million landlord.
I have NEVER collected this fee from my tenants, and Have NEVER, and will NEVER raise the rent on any of my tenants.
I don't care if the tenant stays in the unit 25 years, their rent is the same as the day they moved in.
I have done thousands and thousands of capital improvements over the years, and never once passed the cost on too the tenants, even tho the city says I can.
Bob.

Yes, you are indeed the rare DECENT landlord and are to be applauded for your ethics. We need more like you. Where are you located? I have a number of tenants who plan to move out right behind us and I would be happy to refer you if you have vacancies. PM me with any pertinent info
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2010, 04:50 PM

6,588 posts, read 17,550,899 times
Please post your e-mail address here, Bob... I'm sure you'll be inundated with prospective tenants in no time! (Just kidding!)

Your ethics are to be commended, seriously. I sincerely hope you've had good tenants who don't take advantage of your generosity!

Old 09-19-2010, 11:40 PM

8,553 posts, read 10,978,234 times
Just a small correction.
In my last post above, I said thousands of capital improvements.
I meant to say thousands and thousands of dollars in capital improvements.
The reason the rents never get raised, and the same for capital improvements fees, is because the buildings were paid for years ago, so there is no mortgage, and capital improvements are a tax write off.
To pass that cost on to the tenants is out and out gouging.
It goes without saying, most of my tenants DO stay for years.
Actually my property located northeast of downtown are one bedroom houses, and as circumstances change, sometimes the tenants move out.
The main reason is they are buying a house.
I had a young couple move in 15 years ago, and their rent was $500.00 a month.
They saved while living here, and moved out two years ago.
They bought a 4 bedroom house.
They were paying that $500.00 dollars a month for the entire time they lived here.
The only time the rent is raised is when it becomes vacant, and then, only what I feel is a fair market value.
My tenants, over the years, have always been appreciative of the lack of a yearly rental increase.
I have never been taken advantage of by any of them.
I guess one could say that I treat my tenants as I would want to be treated.
Presently I have two vacancies, and with today's rental market,it has been a tough time trying to get them rented.
It seems the biggest problem I am facing is, the people applying have poor credit.
That is one undeniable fact in the world of business, good credit is essential.
Bob.

Old 09-20-2010, 01:43 AM

1,496 posts, read 2,439,119 times
NOT Heard, a new policy?

Old 09-20-2010, 12:53 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,345,962 times
I know the OP's question is somewhat old, but the amount that people are complaining about seemed very small. We are talking about a $10 or less one time charge? That is amazing that it would be brought up at all.

CALGUY you are doing what works and it seems that you get the best tennant for the money. Also liked the idea that some of those people use your generosity as a way to save and buy a place for themselves. Very nice on your part.

Old 09-20-2010, 11:30 PM

6,588 posts, read 17,550,899 times
Calguy, they're one-bedroom houses?? How many square feet, if you don't mind me asking? Feel free to PM me rather than hijack this thread.

Soon2BNSurprise, I agree, if a person enjoying rent control has to complain about a $10 per year charge, they're being ridiculous. However, most of the owners of rent controlled units are just a step up from slumlords. In that situation, I wouldn't give them a penny more than required by law. This was reflected in my rent payments one year; I was writing my rent check for $949.98 (or whatever; that's not the exact amount but you get the idea) instead of just a simple $950. 2 cents a month, 24 cents a year... and yet I was indeed that stubborn! (Then again, I'm the kind of person who will drive two miles to find "my" bank and avoid ATM charges!)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles