Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2010, 04:04 PM

9,525 posts, read 30,473,115 times

Advertisements

OP is trolling.

2/10 for neighborhood knowledge.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2010, 06:05 PM

4 posts, read 11,487 times
I've heard of Santa Anita but I forget Hollywood Park was a horse track. Honestly, when I was looking on the map it looked like a park to me.

As far as trolling I don't really get it. I know enough about forums to know that a troll is someone who post something inflamatory or contencious to get a rise out of somebody. I don't see anything in my posts that is lthe least bit inflammatory.

I didn't even mention that I'd prefer to stay away from the Compton-Watts area (which I had heard is LA's "dangerous" neighborhood) Not to disparage any of the fine folks living there because of a few bad apples

Like I said I may be taking a position in the area and would like some insight. I really detest commuting in traffic which is why I'd like to be close to my prosepective place of employment. Again any insights would be appreciated

Old 04-18-2010, 09:57 PM

44 posts, read 112,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BfTweed View Post
I've heard of Santa Anita but I forget Hollywood Park was a horse track. Honestly, when I was looking on the map it looked like a park to me.

As far as trolling I don't really get it. I know enough about forums to know that a troll is someone who post something inflamatory or contencious to get a rise out of somebody. I don't see anything in my posts that is lthe least bit inflammatory.

I didn't even mention that I'd prefer to stay away from the Compton-Watts area (which I had heard is LA's "dangerous" neighborhood) Not to disparage any of the fine folks living there because of a few bad apples

Like I said I may be taking a position in the area and would like some insight. I really detest commuting in traffic which is why I'd like to be close to my prosepective place of employment. Again any insights would be appreciated
well why don't you tell us your real budget. Not buying this 4k a month and want to live near hollywood park stuff

Old 04-18-2010, 11:20 PM

10,914 posts, read 31,394,981 times
For $3.5-$4k, you can find a small bungalow in Venice. Or, you could find a nice little house in the beach cities (Manhattan, Hermosa, Redondo), some well under $4k/mo, with 2+BRs and a small yard. The air is of better quality nearer the coast, and it's not as hot as it can be just a couple of miles inland. Plus, you would have easy access to the beach for outdoor pursuits.

The benefits and quality of life in the coastal areas would far outweigh a few extra minutes in the car, on surface streets, if you want to live/work in this area of LA County.

You could also find a place in West Hollywood, and could take La Cienega to get to the LAX area, avoiding the 405.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 04-19-2010, 12:23 AM

60 posts, read 241,658 times
riginally Posted by BfTweed

And as far as being LA's worst neighborhood, I certainly never implied that in my post. In fact from my google map sojourn the Inglewood area looks quite lovely. Sure it's not very fancy but clean middle class homes, nice lawns, etc., gives it a very nice feel. Of course I haven't yet been there in person but I am looking forward to it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KnoxTown View Post
You're in for a surprise.
lol, i live there and the post is actually quite accurate. My block is well kept and our councilman lives on it, Inglewood is quietly gentrifying slowly. The biggest problem right now is the city leadership. There's a reason it was known as "the crowning jewel of the South Bay." You can't keep something down forever. So I guess you are in for a surprise if you actually visit.

Old 04-19-2010, 08:40 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,711,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SloRoller View Post
BfT -

I grew up in the landing path of LAX (Manchester & Western, just east of the Morningside Park area suggested). Believe it or not, you get used to the noise and eventually don't really notice it...or, at least it ceases to be annoying. It's like living in a very hot climate or a very cold climate...you adapt and accept it as part of living where you live. The good news is that several years ago the City of Los Angeles paid to have many residences upgraded to double-paned windows to reduce the intrusion of air traffic noise. I don't know if Inglewood was part of that upgrade.

I don't know what the Hyde Park affect is, but there are also some nice, well-kept homes in Inglewood North of Manchester to about 79th St., West of Van Ness and East of Crenshaw. I would stay South of the Florence Ave. / Centenila Ave. area. You'll find some very nice homes on and around Hillcrest Ave. Between Florence and Manchester.

I don't know what the rents are in Culver City, but there are some very nice neighborhoods there also.
ya do? We lived on Century Blvd about a million years ago, we never got used to it.

Nita

Old 04-19-2010, 10:48 AM

17,815 posts, read 25,631,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
ya do? We lived on Century Blvd about a million years ago, we never got used to it.

Nita
I have to agree, used to live in Studio City and on Sunday nights we were on the flight path into Burkbank Airport(now Bob Hope)...every 5 minutes or so here would come a jet.

Nothing like LAX of course, but still it was something I never got used to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles