Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
2,500,000 members. Thank you!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2010, 11:28 PM

4 posts, read 11,407 times

Advertisements

I may be taking a position in southwest LA and i absolutley hate to commute.

Ideally I'd like to find a sweet little house South of Florence, East of the 405, North of the 105 and west of the 110. I do like parks for getting some daily exercise so i am particularly interested in the area around Hollywood park.

I do not know much about LA other than Beverly Hills, Rodeo Drive and the horrible traffic. A couple of people I know mentioned that West Hollywood is a reasonable place to live but it seems a little far imo.

I'd like to keep the rent under 4k a month and get something with at least 2 bedrooms 2 baths and some outdoor space. Any insights from this knowledgable board would be appreciated
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2010, 11:46 PM

16,806 posts, read 39,684,025 times
The Morningside Park district of Inglewood, specifically the section known as "The Avenues" fits that bill. East of Crenshaw, West of Van Ness, South of Manchester, and North of Century. I'd try to stay around Arbor Vitae to avoid the Hyde Park effect in the Northern reaches of The Avenues. All those homes were built in the mid-thirties and feature large lots and most have been upgraded over the years to at least 2 baths.

Old 04-15-2010, 01:38 PM

Thanks Fontucky

Actually I found two possible listings in and around that area which fit the bill nicely. Prices seem somewhat reasonable too.

Anyway there's a nice big place on W Hughes Ln that's just a bit over my budget but has a lot of great features and then there is another nice place on W Sentinel Ln that is under my budget. I am a bit concerned that LAX Airport is in close proximity. Are there any residents that find the air traffic particualry noisy in the area that I mentioned.

JohnG72, I don't even know if I should dignify your disparinging comment with a response as I tried to phrase my question as diplomatically as possible as not to offend anyone. I thought it was universally held that traffic in LA is horrendous. While I realize that there may be other cities with worse traffic I certainly wasn't trying to get a rise out of anyone.

Old 04-15-2010, 08:36 PM

774 posts, read 1,158,054 times
BfT -

I grew up in the landing path of LAX (Manchester & Western, just east of the Morningside Park area suggested). Believe it or not, you get used to the noise and eventually don't really notice it...or, at least it ceases to be annoying. It's like living in a very hot climate or a very cold climate...you adapt and accept it as part of living where you live. The good news is that several years ago the City of Los Angeles paid to have many residences upgraded to double-paned windows to reduce the intrusion of air traffic noise. I don't know if Inglewood was part of that upgrade.

I don't know what the Hyde Park affect is, but there are also some nice, well-kept homes in Inglewood North of Manchester to about 79th St., West of Van Ness and East of Crenshaw. I would stay South of the Florence Ave. / Centenila Ave. area. You'll find some very nice homes on and around Hillcrest Ave. Between Florence and Manchester.

I don't know what the rents are in Culver City, but there are some very nice neighborhoods there also.

Old 04-16-2010, 12:00 AM

4,536 posts, read 10,558,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BfTweed View Post
JohnG72, I don't even know if I should dignify your disparinging comment with a response as I tried to phrase my question as diplomatically as possible as not to offend anyone. I thought it was universally held that traffic in LA is horrendous. While I realize that there may be other cities with worse traffic I certainly wasn't trying to get a rise out of anyone.
I don't know why I"M dignifying a troll post with a response but here goes......

You have a budget that will get you a 2 bd/2ba HOUSE in all but the most chi chi areas of LA, and even there it is workable.

Yet you want to live in one of the worst areas of LA. Yeah, I know some of Inglewood is pretty ok, but still not too many people out walking at night.

And oh yeah, you refered to Hollywood Park as an actual park. One thats safe to walk in as well. El Oh El troll Mctroll.

Old 04-16-2010, 10:29 AM

SloRoller, I appreciate the feedback. I suppose I could get used to airplane noise if it was happening mostly in the day. I guess I will have check it out in person.

I chose this area because I want to live close to my work period. Some people feel confined in elevators, well that's how I feel in traffic.

And as far as being LA's worst neighborhood, I certainly never implied that in my post. In fact from my google map sojourn the Inglewood area looks quite lovely. Sure it's not very fancy but clean middle class homes, nice lawns, etc., gives it a very nice feel. Of course I haven't yet been there in person but I am looking forward to it.

Old 04-16-2010, 06:54 PM

4,536 posts, read 10,558,643 times
Quote:

And as far as being LA's worst neighborhood, I certainly never implied that in my post. In fact from my google map sojourn the Inglewood area looks quite lovely. Sure it's not very fancy but clean middle class homes, nice lawns, etc., gives it a very nice feel. Of course I haven't yet been there in person but I am looking forward to it.
LOL

Old 04-17-2010, 11:41 PM

1,203 posts, read 4,398,952 times
Quote:

You're in for a surprise.

Old 04-18-2010, 12:22 AM

44 posts, read 112,020 times
hollywood park is not a park. It's a horse racing track

and that area around there is not that safe

you have a 4k a month budget? you could live in bel air if you wanted sheesh

Old 04-18-2010, 01:15 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,458,883 times
OP you really don't have a handle on things. I laughed to when you thought Hollywood Park was a park....it is and has been a very well known race track.... so is Santa Anita just for the record.

And West Hollywood cheap???? Where did you get that information.

You better pay a visit first before signing a lease. You are very misinformed about Los Angeles.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles