Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2010, 10:37 PM

2 posts, read 2,489 times

Advertisements

I just wanted to pick some people's brains about my upcoming move to LA. I lived in LA for about 5 years about 5 years ago and am moving back with work.

I will be working pretty much in an office downtown and wanted an apartment close so i didn't have to commute too much everyday. However, when I was there 5 years ago downtown/mid wilshire/korea town and other close areas weren't the best/safest locations for a single white female Is this still the same?

I am just looking for something clean and tidy (studio doesn't bother me) but in a safe area close to downtown.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2010, 10:41 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,648,684 times
Why don't you check out Highland Park( near Pasadena). The area is mostly Latino but is now attracting younger professionals.

It is also on the Gold Line,which you could take to Union Station and then pick up the Red Line to downtown, if you don't want to drive.

Old 10-17-2010, 03:48 PM

749 posts, read 1,863,698 times
Downtown Los Angeles has cleaned up a lot in the last 5 or 10 years with tons of new housing, bars, restaurants, etc.

If you want something more quiet, I'd look into these neighborhoods/areas: Miracle Mile, Pasadena, Silverlake/Echo Park, Los Feliz.

Old 10-19-2010, 05:51 AM

2 posts, read 2,489 times
Excellant, thanks so much I appreciate your input

Old 10-19-2010, 06:19 AM

13,384 posts, read 25,758,146 times
You might want to check back into Koreatown. That place has exploded with gentrification.

I would recomend the Vermont and Wilshire Apartments. I have a friend who lives there and likes it a lot. Its right above the subway station which can take you downtown, to Hollywood, to LAX, or to Pasadena relatively quick.

If K-Town isnt your beat, take a look at Los Feliz. Artsy, bohemian, and a great night life.

Old 10-19-2010, 10:31 AM

749 posts, read 1,863,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAnative10 View Post
You might want to check back into Koreatown. That place has exploded with gentrification.

I would recomend the Vermont and Wilshire Apartments. I have a friend who lives there and likes it a lot. Its right above the subway station which can take you downtown, to Hollywood, to LAX, or to Pasadena relatively quick.

If K-Town isnt your beat, take a look at Los Feliz. Artsy, bohemian, and a great night life.
Good suggestions.....

Old 10-19-2010, 04:01 PM

559 posts, read 1,380,190 times
taniarenee, I agree with others that DTLA (downtown L.A.) has become much, much more attractive than five years ago but there are still areas of sketch (although nothing like I'm used to from two to three decades ago). I've always been fascinated by downtown and think it's terrific in term of things to do and see but I realize it's not for everybody. On the other hand, depending on where you work and live in downtown you might have the ultimate L.A. luxury: being able to walk to work.

The Old Town Pasadena area is right on the Gold Line, is safe, lively and close to many amenities.

South Pasadena (a separate city) is a bit closer to DTLA on the Gold Line and is safe enough for even the most skittish of folks. You could find a place which is literally blocks from rail, Trader Joes, grocery stores, coffee shops, weekly farmer's market, library and a few restaurants. Possible downside is that it's more sleepy small town than exciting urban--you can always take the Gold Line north two or three stops (or bike) for more options in Old Town Pasadena. But if safe, clean, tidy and convenient to DTLA via rail are tops on your checklist, it may be ideal.

At least you won't have to worry about brown snakes, funnel-webs, sea wasps, redbacks (although we have the equivalent black widow) and we have less great white sharks.

Welcome to L.A. and best of luck.

Last edited by drunk on kool aid; 10-19-2010 at 04:08 PM.. Reason: clarified point.

Old 10-19-2010, 06:26 PM

4,213 posts, read 8,310,371 times
Depends what part of koreatown! there are parts that are extremely scary to be in, and I'm not a single white female from australia!

mid wilshire is your best bet

Old 10-19-2010, 10:03 PM

1,413 posts, read 1,519,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by disgruntled la native View Post
Depends what part of koreatown! there are parts that are extremely scary to be in, and I'm not a single white female from australia!
I'm not sure what part he means, but I assume he's referring to more the southern portions of Koreatown. Up near Wilshire and the Red Line, though, it's reasonably safe. By that I mean it's not insanely dangerous to step outside your door--as some would have you believe, but you should use common sense, especially at night.
Quote:

mid wilshire is your best bet
Probably good advice generally, but you'd want a car. The metro doesn't come this far west, yet, and the buses through this area are usually extremely crowded and slow.

Depending on how long you plan to stay, Culver City or Palms might be another option. As things are now, it's not too bad of a drive to get downtown; and then sometime next year (we hope), the first section of the Expo Line LRT line is supposed to open, and it'll run between Culver City and Downtown L.A. to begin with. It'll end at the 7th Street-Metro Center (or "Seventh and Metro" as the station announcements say), and that's really more the commercial center of Downtown than Union Station or any of the others.

Old 10-19-2010, 10:17 PM

1 posts, read 1,171 times
Default welcome to here!

Welcome to the site, will offer you good shoes, let you play every place of the comfortable.
Welcome to: jordans sneakers
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles